Page 64 of 418 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    My guess is that Jake Lloyd is leading our B & F with a solid challenge from Sinclair. One story that Jake wants a better contract and suddenly he's on the trading block. The Swans want to move the ball more efficiently in transition. Why would we want to trade the player who is such a critical part of just that aspect of the game?

Our situation regarding KPPs this year is very different from what it will be next year. Injuries to Melican and Reid have put a serious dent in our active KPP stocks this season, but things should dramatically change next year.

1. We will recover our 2 injured mainstays for next season.
    2. McCartin has already shown that he's an AFL quality player.
    3. Nick Blakey is a high quality versatile player who can play any position. It will be interesting where he ends up. I think he might well become a midfielder, following the trend of tall midfielders (Cripps, Bontempelli).
    4. It's early days, by Joel Amartey looks an AFL player. He's played mostly forward and in the ruck, but he looks to have the attributes to be a good key defender if there are no opportunities in the forward line.
    5. Gary Rohan unfortunately injured his hand in his first NEAFL game where he was being played as a defender, a role which seems more logical for him given the changes in personnel in our forward line. He's big enough to play as a key defender (a la Rampe) if need be.

It's nice to imagine high quality players like Stephen May coming to the Swans, but it has to placed in the context of personnel already on our list or coming onto the list through the draft.
    All good points Ludwig. But you've said before that you would love to get a high pick before Blakey. So how do we get that? You need to trade a quality player who is either out of contract or willing to be traded if under contract. The only quality player we have out of contract is Lloyd. A good player but I think he is replaceable within the club.

My guess is that Jake Lloyd is leading our B & F with a solid challenge from Sinclair. One story that Jake wants a better contract and suddenly he's on the trading block. The Swans want to move the ball more efficiently in transition. Why would we want to trade the player who is such a critical part of just that aspect of the game?
    Personally, I’d rather Jake signs tomorrow for what he is worth. However, my suspicion (quite possibly wrong) is that he has been offered a too good to refuse offer from GC. If that is the case, we make lemonade from that disappointment and upgrade our 1st round draft pick to one where we can two star talents in Blakey +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    All good points Ludwig. But you've said before that you would love to get a high pick before Blakey. So how do we get that? You need to trade a quality player who is either out of contract or willing to be traded if under contract. The only quality player we have out of contract is Lloyd. A good player but I think he is replaceable within the club.
    It's hard to work out the specifics of a deal at this point of the season with so much uncertainty in the value of our current picks. Right now we are sitting with pick 10 (or 11 giving consideration to GC Lynch compo pick). I would think we would have to trade our 1st rounder plus a player, and probably a good player at that. I think Hannebery would be the best option in such a trade, but he is under contract for 3 more years and probably at good money, so there would have to be a big offer to make him interested in a trade. Saint Kilda (pick 5) and GC (pick 3) seem the most likely target clubs. Whoever takes him would of course need to believe that he can be back to his best. There are a lot of ifs there.

I hate losing players with good skills and decision making, which is why trading Lloyd seems an unattractive proposition. If we lose our last 4 games, which is quite possible, we could end up with pick 8 or 9, and with that, we might be able to do a deal involving minor players and pick swaps.

At this stage it's all wild speculation. Maybe things will become clearer by Sunday morning.

we wont know anything to trade period
    suns wont let anything out after bagging lynch for talking
    but history shows not many unsigned players in august stay

all these plans sound great but if someone bids for Blakey above our highest pick we’ll be screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    all these plans sound great but if someone bids for Blakey above our highest pick we’ll be screwed.
    We won't be screwed. This is the most likely outcome and always has been. It's only because we may not make finals and hence a a better 1st round pick than expected that an opportunity opens to get another top 10 player. But a lot has fall into place to make that happen. Blakely looks to be around a pick 7 at this stage, with a range between 5 and 12.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    This is a list from SEN of fringe players other clubs should target. For some reason they only suggest Towers at the Swans. Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Anthony Miles and Braydon Preuss are on the list.

The fringe players from your club that should be targeted
    That's a pretty ordinary list. Wouldn't take any of them.

Clearly midfield depth is a priority for us in the coming 12 months. A strong defender to replace Reg is also good although if Melican can get fit this may not be such a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Hawks could recruit whoever they wanted after their premierships and there was no issue. And they recruited those players from low ranked teams St Kilda, Bulldogs and Melbourne. So I don't see any issue with Richmond doing it .
    It's only an issue if we do it Mel.

We won't be screwed. This is the most likely outcome and always has been. It's only because we may not make finals and hence a a better 1st round pick than expected that an opportunity opens to get another top 10 player. But a lot has fall into place to make that happen. Blakely looks to be around a pick 7 at this stage, with a range between 5 and 12.
    That's right, but I think we need to minimise the risk and create a situation of some certainty if we can. That's why we would need to trade up to a pick in front of 5 or higher, even if we had to give up our first pick to do so.

We should definitely take Anthony Miles

Veterans List
    Gold Coast need good experienced players not another batch of high draftees hence their interest in Lloyd.

As we slip down the ladder there's a possibility that we could deal for pick 3 that they take as compo for Lynch. Lloyd & currently pick 10 but could end up 8 or 9 for pick 3. We get a potential gun at pick 3 (add Izak Rankine to the forward mix?) and still have enough points (picks 28, 34, 64 and falling) this year to fully cover a Blakey bid from as low as pick 6.

Also gives us cap space if Lloyd departs for the much bigger GC $. Everything will be looked at this year.