Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Eagles - match day thread

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    If that was the 2018 version of Nick Smith out there then he is in for a stellar year. He was superb in a backline that soaked up an immense amount of pressure at times.
    Agree. I thought our backline, on the whole, looked a little scratchy. That might be being harsh on them, given the team conceded more inside 50s than it created and yet the defence kept West Coast to a losing score. But the nature of some of the goals that West Coast did score suggests that the defence has a way to go to get into its groove - multiple players flying at contests and allowing an Eagle on their own at ground level, players losing their feet etc. Mills, in particularly, had a relative poor game for him (notwithstanding his courage in standing under the ball for that excellent mark. Maybe it's a subtle hint to Longmire and friends that he's itching to get up the ground.)

But Smith was the standout for me back there. Cool, reliable, marshalling the troops, generally sound disposal. I also thought Melican continued his solid pre-season form and looks more confident in himself and his game than last year (not that he looked uncomfortable last year - he just looks better now).

I am surprised by the criticism of Mills. He appeared to be paired up on LeCras and while Le Cras got a couple of lucky goals I felt his influence was minimal.
    Far more dangerous were the in roads made by Shuey, Gaff, Sheed and Yeo. Their ability to feed off Natinui was significant and telling.
    Our defence managed to overcome a large supply glut and whilst Reg and McVeigh looked short of a run, the rest, especially Smith were outstanding overall.

Blog Entries
    HO diff = -49
    Clr diff = +9
    Not a bad effort

After watching the replay, I can't find much fault in any individual players. Some of our better players, like Heeney and Hewett had their bad moments with skill errors. As a team, we weren't quite as sharp as I thought we might have been, especially compared to some other performances on the weekend, like GWS. I thought we would move the ball better out of defense. We still need a bit more spark running from the back line. Maybe Aliir replacing Mills, who then moves to the midfield will help the overall ball movement from defense to the forward line.

Buddy was so spectacular that it's hard to know many weaknesses were papered over by his performance, although we did manage to deliver the ball quite well to him.

One way to view the game is that we played well, except for that 4 goal run they had starting late in the 3rd quarter. We need to remedy those periods of repeat entry into our defensive zone. We can't expect to repel attack after attack and come out on top in the end against the better teams.

Our on-ball brigade has really grown and we're mixing it up a lot. I think this will reap benefits as the season progresses.

A special mention for Papley, who I thought had an excellent game with influence all over the ground, even though he didn't light up the scoreboard as much as usual.

We should be a better side with Hanners, Reid, Aliir and Rohan, who should all be available in the next couple of weeks. Hayward was good and Florent was okay, although didn't get enough of the ball. They are still at the early stages of their development and seem to be on a solid development path.

I'll add to the accolades for Nick Smith, who was at his best.

Any win on the road is a great win.

I think the criticism of Mills is he hasnt seemed to have improved from his debut year. So the question of where his tragectory is headed comes up.

I think he'll will have a very good 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We should be a better side with Hanners, Reid, Aliir and Rohan, who should all be available in the next couple of weeks. Hayward was good and Florent was okay, although didn't get enough of the ball. They are still at the early stages of their development and seem to be on a solid development path.

Hanners and Reid are auto selections.

Who knows with Allie, and Rohan is fighting it out with Hayward for the small tall. I'd have Hayward.

So we had close to our best 22 out there yesterday, minus the two above.

Veterans List
    Ludwig, don't think you can compare our performance with GWS. We were across the country in a hostile new stadium playing against a side having a real crack, GWS were at "home" playing against a rabble of witches hats, that allows you time to show skills.

Probably not the thread for it but the Dogs look a shadow of their umpire fuelled late 2016 side. Actually making blokes handball rather than throw and not paying ducked into tackles has hurt them since the new interpretations from the start of 2017.

Sinclair went ok, be easier for him against Port's new rucks this week.

Apparently, Nic Natanui was playing. I only saw him for half of the time, but the commentators took every opportunity to tell me that he was back.
    I loved being the first winners at the new stadium and having the first goal kicked by a swan (a backman, no less).
    That's all that's important.
    Oh yeah, and Buddy's eight goals. Just give him the Coleman now and put everyone out of their misery.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Thought we did very well considering the mismatch in the ruck department, the very hostile crowd and the occasionally suspect umpiring. It felt like the forward line tactics (aka Franklin's paddock) worked very well, particularly giving McGovern an opponent to keep him accountable, while it lasted. Hewett did a number on him when he was playing forward.

Port will be a much tougher opponent, thankfully at home.

Goes up to 11
    We had moments of shakiness down back, particularly whilst Rampe was off the field. We missed Sam Reid during those moments as he would have been swung back to help out, most notably at the end of the third quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Thought we did very well considering the mismatch in the ruck department, the very hostile crowd and the occasionally suspect umpiring. It felt like the forward line tactics (aka Franklin's paddock) worked very well, particularly giving McGovern an opponent to keep him accountable, while it lasted. Hewett did a number on him when he was playing forward.

Port will be a much tougher opponent, thankfully at home.
    Surely it�s Franklin�s Field

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Apparently, Nic Natanui was playing. I only saw him for half of the time, but the commentators took every opportunity to tell me that he was back.
    I loved being the first winners at the new stadium and having the first goal kicked by a swan (a backman, no less).
    That's all that's important.
    Oh yeah, and Buddy's eight goals. Just give him the Coleman now and put everyone out of their misery.
    Yeah had Dwayne Russell not have said it 45 times I wouldn�t have believed that Nic Nat had been out injured!!