Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port Adelaide

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    We had plenty of players who could play in defence in round 1. Lloyd played wing, Newman played wing/forward, Jones played inside mid and Fox also spent time forward. I think this is a more balanced side positionally but I think Newman would have been more effective than Florent in his tackles.
    Good to see Hayward and Florent get another chance to develop. Have loved McVeigh as a player but don't like to see him keep Newman, who has done little wrong, out of the team. Wonder when Newman's contract is up. Very useful player and a great kick to advantage.

I think we needed Hayward. He has got good attacking instincts. I think we needed a natural forward. Otherwise it is just Franklin, Papley, Rohan and then relying on midfielders to play forward.

I am surprised that both Fox and Newman dropped off the subs bench. Maybe it just the balance of the side. We have got Mills, Lloyd, McVeigh, Jones and Cunningham who have played half back or back pocket.

But I think it will be good to rotate our bottom 4. So someone like Newman or Fox dropping out occasionally for one of our younger players. We have got Ling, Dawson, Stoddart, McCartin and maybe Ronke. But I can't see how they will get games.

I was surprised to see Newman drop out, I thought it was more likely to be Florent that may have made way. I didn't think Newman was outstanding last week, but I thought he played ok and deserved another run.

I like the look of Fox, who can find the pill and defend ok, but he is still suspect with his decision making and disposal at times. He will play more senior footy this season, I'm pretty certain of that.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    I find those changes hard to fathom. Very strange..... they just don't make sense. Newman has every right to feel rather pissed off!

I got that completely wrong. Very surprised at those changes, but I�m sure there is a rationale.

On one hand it�s a positive development they�ve stuck with Florent and Hayward.

On the other I�m unconvinced that McVeigh deserves to be in the team rather than give way to a younger player with similar attributes e.g. Newman. But happy to be proved wrong.

There actually are too many players to fit into the team right now, which is a good problem to have.

With Reid, Dawson and Ling fit and development in McCartin, Stoddart and others it�s going to be super competitive for the bottom 6 places.

Almost every uninjured top 30 draft pick from the 2015 draft is playing senior footy now. So in that respect we are following the AFL script.

I don't think this is our best 22 for the week, but I've argued in the past that we shouldn't always play our best 22 and development was an important consideration.

I suppose this is in keeping with our transition to running skillful high scoring team from a stodgy defensive unit.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 30th March 2018 at 07:39 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    It was oft said on here over the pre-season that some good players would find themselves playing NEAFL this season, unless we got a bad injury run and this is just that eventuating. We just have a solid group of players ranked from around 16-26 on our list and it's hard to fit them all into the side.

Clearly the coaches see Florent and Hayward as promising and they do have some class about them. I doubt they'll be given umpteen weeks just showing flashes here and there but I don't mind them being backed in at the start of the season.

Senior Player
    It�s amazing to think that a couple of years ago ( when we happened to make a grand final btw) most of us on here were worried about the depth in the squad. Now it seems we can�t fit all the players in. What a terrific position to be in. Cheer cheer.

Veterans List
    Newman being dropped whilst a low possession getter in Florent staying in surprises me. Newman can feel very unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Newman being dropped whilst a low possession getter in Florent staying in surprises me. Newman can feel very unlucky.
    I�m very surprised they dropped Newman too. Does Horse explain why on the Swans website?

Fascinating times we are in:

Is it possible a player like Newman is simply injured with a minor strain ? and we are reading too much into the selections this week?

Have dean cox and stevie J had a serious impact on our vision of what bloods football needs to be 2018 and beyond?

Have we truly started to evolve our blue print of football ?

I have been a little left out on my own with the idea that the evolving of style of footy the bloods want to play in 2018 will start to dominate selections .....but it appears to be happening in the pre season and rd 1 and rd 2

I suspect that there Is a slight a shift re the style of play we desire starts to pick players with the attributes necessary to play flexible footy.

I sensed the frustration talking to the players last Xmas that some slight changes were required if we want to be no1 and that when I pressed a few players one on one re bloods footy not being flexible in the past has been our greatest strength but also our weakness......the silence was very interesting......

I suspected that the change of the guard would sneak up on us ie players Newman who just about all on redandwhiteonline can can see as an obvious selection for being in the top 22 right now and even this week have been left out most likely due to matchups and flexible fast footy. The players rotating through our transitions appear to need to be athletically fast.

from what I have seen in pre season and rd 1 the footy is so bloody quick this year, with the play on style where ever possible to upset the opposition defence is critical. This changes the overall balance of players that are required on the pitch. Yet arguably Adelaide chose to not do this vs Richmond. Adelaide thru out the game reverted to pulling their kicks or small kicks to keep possession and starve Richmond of the footy via uncontested footy in the 3rd and 4th qtrs especially on thurs night.

In the 2018 The encroachment rule promotes such fast flowing footy and more upside to play on near the mark then ever before

This week will be a serious test for theories and selections because our coaches and playing group have backed faster outside players like Hayward and Ollie which is giving them only one choice. Play ur role bloody well and u might stay in? I mean Newman was solid last week and he didn�t stay in the 22. Ollie and Hayward have been given an absolute gift this week in my opinion......a real opportunity!

So in summary:

Winning each week is no 1 via correct matchups BUT

We have serious depth and so far in pre season and rd 1 it appears we have a squad that can have players that can come in and out of the 22 and play a specific role that on the surface may not look important to us spectators ala Ollie last week against west coast but frees up our playmakers and flexible football style we are striving for.

We could be playing possum re the selections some weeks as I am surprised with a couple selections this week so early in the season and at the scg a small field

There could be players with a niggling injury we are not aware of?

Development of Florent, Hayward like we did with Heeney and Mills has so much upside over the season and if we want true flexibility between contested and uncontested footy and to be able to play on fast and direct we have to have serious �running players�

The reality of being a flexible winning team for the mcg and finals appears to have some impact on future selection of players required

In a lot of the transitions by teams in rd 1 and pre season it appears that if u can run and carry or give and go FAST as an indv that u do have an advantage under the rules this year

A player that has an awesome kick like a Newman some weeks might miss out on matchups againts pure running opposition teams.

Port is a flood forward fast team generally and love their counter attack in numbers streaming through. You would think we have to match this minimum or be at the mercy of port dominating.

Regular in the Side
    All these theories re Newman. Have we even considered that sometimes the selectors just get it wrong. They are human.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast