Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 6 v Geelong

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    If Melican is fit he's one in, if not it's two new players. Do we do something truly out of left field, Joel Amartey!

Let's go for a highly mobile forward structure? Tune in Thursday 6.25pm to see what masterstroke Horse pulls :-)
    Amartey isn't that unlikely. Great raw talent.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    With Buddy out, our tall timber stocks are looking barer still! I�ve watched both NEAFL games and both McCartain and Amartey looked more impressive then Cameron. Amartey is faster, better over head and McCartain better on the lead them Cameron. Unfortunately Cameron appears to lack mobility and a bit of mongrel. He was beaten by Simpson and Flynn against GWS and then by Mcinerny and Smith against the Lions. The reality is if we had any of the big men he has come up against, they would be automatic choices in our team at present. My choice to replace buddy would be Amartey, given he has a huge vertical leap and can ruck, as opposed to McCartain who is just a key forward. Aliir is struggling in Neafl and just looks lost. Like the suggestion of Robbo for Hannebury. He has some run on him and is a goal kicking mid. And Ronke for Hayward to provide much needed forward defensive pressure.
    Pretty good assessment Ralph. Inclined to go along with it though I think there is plenty of competition for Hanner's spot.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    Disappointing to hear about injuries to Hanners and Buddy and what is even more mystifying is that we played them injured over the past few weeks. Poor judgment by MC and medical team.

Smacks a bit of desperation.....from the realisation that we might not be able to win without Buddy, which so far this year, would be correct. It will be interesting to see how the club and team respond to what is, with Reid and others out, a crisis.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Ever tried to play multiple weeks of footy with pain killers to an injured area? It takes a toll on the area. Might seem ok to start, but gets continually worse.
    Long bow to draw on his metal state, and irrelevant to his decision making.
    Yeah, the 'million miles away' may be as simple as him thinking '@@@@, this heel is not improving, bloody frustrating.....how many weeks out? etc......" and just not being too happy about it. I actually reckon the Bud's looked pretty happy on most occasions this year.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    This is a terrible position in one way but fascinating at the same time.
    I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing , firstly who we pick, and secondly how we structure up, and thirdly what game style we'll employ.

Most likely it will be the old Swans formula.... work harder, tackle more and compete fiercely....for 4 quarters.....

But I kind of hope there are some exotic, left field ploys which will have our opponents caught napping .
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Re Buddy, from report in The Age: �It's believed Franklin was on crutches on the weekend to take weight off his foot.�

Oh gawd .....

Senior Player
    Quite concerned. Longmire seemed grim in the presser yesterday - grumpier than during our 0-6 run last year, when at least there was some gallows humour. He seems less confident than usual that he knows how to address our performance (and now, selection issues).

So, this is a big game. I know it's early, and 5 of our first 6 games have been played against teams in the top 8, but I feel our performance here will set a tone for the year.

Like others, fascinated by selection this week. There are plenty of candidates for Hannebery's position. If Melican comes in, a combination of Mills, Lloyd and Marsh could play in the middle. Otherwise, Robinson, Fox or Ronke could come in. I'd prefer Ronke, given what I have read on here or can infer from stats (I wasn't able to watch most of our first two NEAFL games). High tackle counts, eye for goal, good pressure. Seems a Longmire kind of player.

As everyone has said - none of our tall forward options (Cameron, McCartin or Amartey) are primed to play and really should have more time to build their games at NEAFL level. But surely one of them has to play to bring the ball to ground and let the likes of Papley, Hayward (who now should play), Towers and Jack rove the crumbs. You'd think Cameron would be the most likely, given he is older and has been at the club longer. However, I wonder whether they may be concerned about his defensive pressure in the forward 50. Either way, super keen to see Rohan play at full forward, which I think is his most dangerous position.

Regular in the Side
    Looks like we are back to the 2016 version of Reid. Now out to 8-10 weeks which means that the season will be virtually over before he is back and fit enough for AFL. Would expect a stint in the NEAFL would be needed after such a long time out. No indication either way as to whether Melican and Rohan will be available for the Cats. I think Cameron is a must in as he has a much more AFL ready body than either Amartey or McCartin who is the very youngest player on any AFL list. Would not mind Aliir being given another go but it would need to be in the back lines somewhere, not up forward. Some really tough decisions this week at the selection table.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Re Buddy, from report in The Age: �It's believed Franklin was on crutches on the weekend to take weight off his foot.�

Oh gawd .....
    That and a moon boot would be expected to keep weight off the foot.

No point in us playing Cameron if he's not AFL standard. Similar for Armatey and McCartin not being ready. They'll all just get cut up by AFL quality players, who shut down the best forward line in the league last week.
    Richmond have a blueprint for playing without height in the forward 2/3 of the ground. So we don't need to look far for guidance in what to do - it's whether we have the quality smalls to execute.

Changes for Round 6 v Geelong

I am not convinced about the Richmond comparison. I was at their game last night and the way they moved it forward was impressive. Reiwolt gave them a good target and they had the brilliant Dusty running around the forward line creating havoc. We have tended to be too slow and conservative in the way we move the ball out of our backline this year which makes it very hard for any forward. We must be very easy to plan for these days. Players won�t take risks so a lot of chip passes making it easy to set up defence ahead. We never try the attacking 40 metre pass into an attacking position in the corridor. Our players are too scared to take the risk. No line breakers only makes this situation worse. Richmond were not scared to back themselves last night if the attacking pass was on. Then we invariably kick to Buddy under pressure with 3 to beat. At least this week we will be forced to look elsewhere. This is the only positive along with the chance of seeing whether some of these NEAFL players are up to it. The Irishman must be given a chance soon. We lost Sam Murray and Nankervis due to a lack of opportunities. No use relying on the same old if it�s not working. Let�s give some newbies a chance to show what they�ve got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to play the youff !

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    That and a moon boot would be expected to keep weight off the foot.
    Just as an aside, Moonboots and crutches can sometimes be prescribed to simply redistribute weight (it does deacrease loading, but the intent is for comfort rather that specifically reducing the weight bearing status), and I�ve seen it used this way as a precautionary measure at elite sports levels (often before scans are done to reduce the potential risk of injury when the pathology is unknown) and also postoperatively where the patient is simply being protected while still able to weightbear fully.

Time will tell, hopefully Bud is ok (or on the ok side of whatever ailment he has).

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast