Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 10 v Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I'm all for blooding the young kids when they show they are worth it but it does ask plenty of questions about where Newman, Aliir, Towers, O'Riordan, and even Fox now sit.
    With the addition of Ronke to the team, Gaz has lost some of his USP. So I think they�ve used Stoddart as a like for like replacement in terms of speed, which eliminates most on the list above but Stoddart offers more in terms of ball use, which rules out the others e.g. Towers.

Stoddart was the emergency last week wasn�t he, and was mentioned as a standout in the JLT.

He�s the potential to play a link up role between the arcs and deliver inside 50 a la Jetta, which Gaz never has.

Don�t know if either Ronke or Stoddart can play as a lead up FWD but McCartin is doing that.

One positive of #Mills-gate (seriously, how unimpressed must Horse be?) is it may give Marsh the chance for an extended run in the AFL to cement a spot. I�ve long believed he�s the guy to replace Nick Smith when the time comes. Although Melican might be fighting for the same spot right now.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If there's a silver lining to the Mills injury - and it's not really silver; more like dull pewter - it is that we (and more importantly, the coaches) will see how the defensive unit goes without Mills' excellent reading of the play and marking. While he's mostly been very good in that role, his talents are being under-utilised. I've noticed commentators over the last couple of weeks starting to question why he's not yet graduated into the midfield, and asking whether he's plateaued.

It could be that the coaches haven't been that taken by his midfield work at training, but I think a more likely explanation is that he's become too valuable in the role he's been doing. Now someone else will have to perform that role for the rest of the year, whether that's Marsh, or we revert to a taller structure with one (or even both) of Melican and Aliir in the backline and Rampe doing more of the Mills role. Or maybe it will open the way for a true half-back flanker to force their way in and add some pace to the defence - whether that's Stoddart (in time), or maybe COR.

I imagine the coaches will try a few looks over the rest of the season, but hopefully, by the time next season rolls around, the memories of Mills as a central cog in the defence will be in the distant past and he can start to find his way in the midfield, where he belongs.
    When I read this I thought I was daydreaming and talking to myself.

Does anyone know what actually happened with Mills? There's no mention of the infamous Rampe chain link fences... was he seriously just jogging to catch a ball, tripped and broke his foot? How badly do you have to trip to break your foot??

He is a huge loss, fingers crossed he can make a late season miracle comeback, but not counting on it.

Might Mills injury might be good news for Aliir too, if they need Rampe to be less of a lock down defender?

They are professional athletes our boys but they are still human

- - - Updated - - -

I�m excited for marsh and although Mills has suffered an Unfortunate event marsh has a great opportunity to stand tall

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

He�s the potential to play a link up role between the arcs and deliver inside 50 a la Jetta, which Gaz never has.
    You didn't see the mark of the round against Hawthorn?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Hmmmm. This asks more questions than it answers.

My best guess is that Marsh is actually replacing Mills in defence and Stoddart is replacing Rohan. Marsh will be a like for like replacement while Stoddart will play a slightly different role with Ronke and Paps doing most of the pressure forward work. This will leave Stoddart to play more on the wing with some time running off half back but with no major one-on-one defence role.

I'm all for blooding the young kids when they show they are worth it but it does ask plenty of questions about where Newman, Aliir, Towers, O'Riordan, and even Fox now sit.
    The bolded bit is the thing that stands out for me. I'm astounded that Newman isn't considered to be in our best 22

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    The bolded bit is the thing that stands out for me. I'm astounded that Newman isn't considered to be in our best 22
    Or that Towers wouldn't offer more as a like for like replacement for Rohan??

Last year Horse used to give an (admittedly vanilla) explanation of why players were dropped.

Now we have no idea why Aliir, Towers, Newman, Rohan etc aren�t playing.

I suspect if Newman was quicker he�d be in the side every week.

Gaz coukd be a reflection of what many say on here. He doesn�t do enough. Who knows really?

I hope Stoddart starts as well as Ronke

Bloody Millsy!!!
    Now who is going to be in the right place at the right time.
    I can smash these kids for playing like kids!!!
    We're really going to miss this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nomae View Post
    Does anyone know what actually happened with Mills? There's no mention of the infamous Rampe chain link fences... was he seriously just jogging to catch a ball, tripped and broke his foot? How badly do you have to trip to break your foot??

He is a huge loss, fingers crossed he can make a late season miracle comeback, but not counting on it.
    Harley said they had a toy gridiron ball they were throwing around on their way back from a cafe in the RAS precinct... when idiot tripped over either a curb, or a grate in the curb.
    Bloody kids.

- - - Updated - - -

I once got a spiral fracture of the fibula (the small bone leg) and my leg was broken in 9 places... all from jumping from the bottom step of a ladder on a boat going from the bridge to the deck. The boat lurched as I landed... big crack... eight screws and two plates later, I could walk.
    It took six months to get the metal out and my foot/lower leg has never been the same.
    It doesn't take much.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    It doesn't take much.
    Agree, it doesn�t take much to get a serious break. I slipped on an oil patch crossing the road, fell backwards in such a way that my leg bent under me and the weight of my body fell on my ankle. The Orthopedic Surgeon said I had as bad a break as he had ever seen. Two plates, wire, screws, took two years before I walked without limping. To this day, almost 20 years later, my ankle swells up if I stand for several hours.

I fear Callum�s rehab could be long and painful.

Ps: don�t ever nip out to the shops leaving your dinner in the oven - lying in the emergency admissionS area of St Vincent�s I had to ask the police to go to my apartment to turn off the oven! Could have set the place on fire eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Ps: don�t ever nip out to the shops leaving your dinner in the oven - lying in the emergency admissionS area of St Vincent�s I had to ask the police to go to my apartment to turn off the oven! Could have set the place on fire eventually.
    Are you okay?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast