Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
I actually think a lot of the reason for the debate on this thread is based on the very poor drafting of the rule itself:

"makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part of their body with an opposition Player in a manner likely to cause injury below the knees."

Surely the above literally translated could mean that if you bumped a player shoulder to shoulder while he was unbalanced and he twisted his ankle you could be free kicked.

It should read; "makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part of their body below the knees of an opposition player in a manner likely to cause injury"
Sorry Scottee, I collapsed the wording (for brevity) which has been misleading. The full wording does make clear the intent:

15.4.5 Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick

A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player.

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player
if the Player:

(a) makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part of their body with an opposition Player in a manner likely to cause injury;

(i) above the shoulders (including the top of the shoulders); or
(ii) below the knees.

etc. (list goes on (b) to (m) of forms of �prohibited contact�).