Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    hen are Thursday teams announced?
    6.25pm tomorrow

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    My changes:

In: McVeigh
    Out: Hannebery (he is cooked)

We are pretty close to our best 22 now (excluding Naismith and Mills). I would say Reid and Melican in next for Marsh and McCartin then we are at full strength.
    I don't believe Naismith is in our best 22, and I think his injury has probably given the opportunity for the coaches to recognise that one ruckman is the way forward. His best output was miles behind what Sinclair has produced this year

I know this will be blasphemy on here but Mills is borderline best 22 on his pre-injury form. Its not a coincidence that our backline has performed better in his absence. Other teams were isolating him one on one and he was consistently getting multiple goals kicked on him. IMO he would be better utilised forward and in the midfield (if he can fit in the rotation)

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    I hope Allir stays in. His best role is the spare in defence and his intercept marking is handy no matter what the size of the oppositions forward line.

In: McVeigh
    Out: Marsh
    Thats Allirs only role. He isnt a close checking defender, not really strong one on one and has to be lead to the ball. That doesnt make him suitable for a whole heap of positions and possibly why he gets overlooked by the swans coaches.

Who do we think Hewett will be given a tagging role on? Dusty has been playing well below his best this year, so I'm thinking he goes to Cotchin

I find Richmond to be a really strange side. At the moment they are considered to be the clear flag favourites and rightly so given that they are the reigning premiers, have won 15 in a row at the MCG, and currently sit in first position. However, their list just doesn't scream champion team to me. I'm probably not giving them enough credit but when I think of the best teams of the past, I could think of half a dozen absolute beasts. Maybe its because I don't consider Cotchin a beast, just a very good footballer. Hmmmm. Anyway, they are just my thoughts on a page and probably don't relate to this thread. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Thats Allirs only role. He isnt a close checking defender, not really strong one on one and has to be lead to the ball. That doesnt make him suitable for a whole heap of positions and possibly why he gets overlooked by the swans coaches.
    It will probably depend on the team we play and the match ups. There will be some matches where we can't afford to have a player lose in the backline. Aliirs problem is his lack of versatility.

Veterans List
    In the training photos on the swans site Aliir is wearing a yellow singlet along with Reid and the other Ressie players. So looks like he won't be picked...or maybe the swans know about our detective skills and are trying to trick us.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I don't believe Naismith is in our best 22, and I think his injury has probably given the opportunity for the coaches to recognise that one ruckman is the way forward. His best output was miles behind what Sinclair has produced this year

I know this will be blasphemy on here but Mills is borderline best 22 on his pre-injury form. Its not a coincidence that our backline has performed better in his absence. Other teams were isolating him one on one and he was consistently getting multiple goals kicked on him. IMO he would be better utilised forward and in the midfield (if he can fit in the rotation)
    Yup , that�s blasphemy.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Think that's a pretty harsh assessment

Agree he's not a close checking defender but that aspect can be worked on, he's actually a very good contested mark and seems to get himself to the right spots most of the time to get the exit ball out of the back line.

I also think he'd make a good mobile ruckman if he has the tank

One of Allir's strength is his reach and punch clear - difficult to do without giving a free kick these days, but given enough closing speed a very useful defensive effort.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    And look at the depth outside the 22 (I'm going to assume you're keeping Hanners in the 22): Towers, Fox, Newman, Marsh, Robinson, Aliir, Dawson, O'Riordan, Cameron, McCartin, Stoddart, Foote - almost all of whom have hopefully got more seniors footy in front of them than they do behind them.

Next season we will hopefully be strengthened by the return of Mills and Naismith plus whatever trades and drafts we do (in each case it will certainly be because we think that the overall outcome will strengthen us sooner or later).
    I'm not sure I would have Hannebery in the best 22 anymore. Who makes way for him? I would have Florent, Cunningham, Haywood, Ronke, Papley, Jack and Hewett all ahead of him.

Will be interesting to see who makes way to McPointer today. I think Marsh.

They may want to keep Aliir in for continuity as Melican may still be a couple of weeks away.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast