Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 18 Swans v Suns, SCG, 21 July 2018 @SydneySwans #SwansSuns

Can someone tell me why Grundy played reserves today rather than non performers like Newman, Smith, Lloyd,Jones. He has been one of our best all year.

Lazy coaching again.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    On the upside, today’s onfield “interviews” for Grundy, Smith & McVeigh probably didn’t go to well
    Allir who played well is also off contract at the end of the year and will be asking a pretty penny for his services.

I’m not sure the Swans will be willing to match the money on offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    Can someone tell me why Grundy played reserves today rather than non performers like Newman, Smith, Lloyd,Jones. He has been one of our best all year.

Lazy coaching again.
    If only Longmire could have seen a video of the game before it was played, then he would have known who the non-performers would be and could have pulled them out of the game before the game started. I once saw a movie about something like this. I think it works.

It would be terrible to lose ALIIR . Hope that doesn’t occur.

I really haven’t watched much of the Suns, but they were very impressive especially overhead and their attack on the ball.

They would be stoked beating the Swans at home by 4 goals .

Maybe the Swans , like us , dined on euphoria all week after the miracle win against North .

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If only Longmire could have seen a video of the game before it was played, then he would have known who the non-performers would be and could have pulled them out of the game before the game started. I once saw a movie about something like this. I think it works.
    Grundy should be a walk up start after a month off
    Longmire should be tying his laces after a week out

Doesnt bode well for any of our injured vets trying to get back in id rate Grundys recent performance and durability above all that are out

Veterans List
    It is the changing of the guard that has come a lot quicker than anyone expected. Someone like Dawson has to come in next week and stay in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    It is the changing of the guard that has come a lot quicker than anyone expected. Someone like Dawson has to come in next week and stay in.
    It has come all of a rush. Of that long list of veterans not playing today, I would imagine only Hanners would be a chance for our best 22 next year. Reid, Melican, Mills, Naismith would all be handy ins.

When you say "someone like Dawson" I reckon you mean Dawson. I don't understand why he has to spend weeks and weeks getting 25+ in the reserves, yet a player like Fox gets in ahead of him. Are there any NEAFL watchers who can shed light on this anomaly?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    It has come all of a rush. Of that long list of veterans not playing today, I would imagine only Hanners would be a chance for our best 22 next year. Reid, Melican, Mills, Naismith would all be handy ins.

When you say "someone like Dawson" I reckon you mean Dawson. I don't understand why he has to spend weeks and weeks getting 25+ in the reserves, yet a player like Fox gets in ahead of him. Are there any NEAFL watchers who can shed light on this anomaly?
    Fox was our best performing midfielder over a period of weeks when he was called up to the senior side. At the time, he was best selection. He played well the first week he came in.

Dawson has been gradually building, but this was the first week I would say that he's back to his stellar 2017 form. Deserves senior selection.

It was the right time to give Cameron his 1st senior game. I don't know why he had such a poor showing today, although I thought he looked okay in the ruck.

Regular in the Side

#AFL Rd 18 Swans v Suns, SCG, 21 July 2018 @SydneySwans #SwansSuns

If anyone thinks shuffling a couple of deck chairs around will fix today's malais sorry but you are delusional. Completely. We lost to a team we weren't expected to. It happens. The team on the park were good enough to win last week just not today. Their heads let them down.

Patterns emerge, but do they mean anything? No.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swannette View Post
    If anyone thinks shuffling a couple of deck chairs around will fix today's malais sorry but you are delusional. Completely. We lost to a team we weren't expected to. It happens. The team on the park were good enough to win last week just not today. Their heads let them down.

Happens with a lot of young players in team and with a lot of experienced players out. Painful but not inexplicable.

Every loss this year has been in the midfield. No, not the midfield. Just in the pressure.

The bloods used to be the most intense pressure team in the league! We'd never give up, never fade out, never let them win.

But now we're losing the pressure contest. Every game we've lost is because we've been overwhelmed by... inferior players?

Ahh @@@ it. Kirky must be rolling in his silver fox coaches box grave. What's happened to his team? The bloods culture is gone.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Not sure I understand the obsession with Cameron in this thread. He's a 204cm guy playing his first game and had 47% TOG. He didn't set the match on fire but 204cm blokes rarely do in game number one. The problem today had nothing to do with Cameron, with Cameron's selection or with team balance more generally. It was all about first: an alarmingly widespread lack of endeavour (but with a few more obvious culprits eg Heeney); and second:an absolutely horrible standard of disposal across the board, in part due to a collective 'mare of a day and in part due to the Suns applying a pretty good level of pressure.

The idea that we'd have been more competitive had we selected Grundy instead of Cameron is laughable. The problem was (to pick just a few examples that come quickly to mind .... but there were many others) Jones, Lloyd, Fox and Kennedy absolutely slaughtering what should have been simple disposals to team mates but instead buggering it up and presenting our opponents with an easy rebound. Our delivery out of the backline (Aliir excepted), through the middle and into the forward line was utterly putrid today. The forwards had very little hope because the ball came in with no system.

Cameron showed a nice level of athleticism and did a couple of things that make me think he'll be OK and make it as a player. It wasn't a shining debut but he was the least of our issues today. If he was out and Grundy was in we still lose by about 4 goals.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form