Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Longmire cooked?

So the last few years we draft players with "electric" speed and then we don't let them take the game on. Doesn't make much sense really. We are just a disorganised rabble. If it was my choice Horse would be gone.

Not cooked but singed.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    So the last few years we draft players with "electric" speed and then we don't let them take the game on. Doesn't make much sense really. We are just a disorganised rabble. If it was my choice Horse would be gone.
    That is a hard argument to counter aardvark, and really it seems to be where I feel it is too. We seem to be focusing on drafting players with leg speed, and at least at junior level, good skills. But our gameplan isn't suited to the style of footy that will maximise what they can bring to the table. Our gameplan is stuck back in 2005, where we made up for areas we lacked through sheer willpower, an immensely amazing ability to control the game even when under enormous pressure, and a style of AFL at the macro level far different to where the game is headed. If there were clear signs of our gameplan evolving alongside the changes in our list and changes more broadly in the game, I'd be comfortable with where we are at. But we do look as you say like a disorganised rabble.

Like the sook down at Geelong, there is no doubt Longmire has proven himself to be a very fine AFL coach, very able of achieving great things in the game. But at the back of my mind (2016's absolute stitch up aside), I do wonder if there could be more silverware in the cupboard if a different man had of had the chance to take charge of the quality list we have had over the last several seasons. We of course would never say that had 2014 or 2016 ended differently, but its always an itch when I think about Longmire.

I just wonder if his natural time at the Swans is up and we are ready for a truly fresh change of direction with an outsider with a new approach to things. None of that is to take away from a great job Longmire has done at the club - but even the best coaches become stale after an extended period at any club. And the memories of the 2012 triumph, like the 2005 triumph with Roos, will always define in my mind at least the Longmire period at the swans. That year gave such joy, outside of the Grand Final win - but just for some superb football by a wonderful team.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

So with Jones and probably Grundy out next week what I don't want to see is the same boring hang in there type of game plan. Let the kids have a crack, I don't give a stuff how much we lose by so long as we have a go. The way we played tonight anyone would think we were coached by Ross Lyon.

Warming the Bench
    Players missing from our best 22; Reid, Naismith, Melican, Hannebery, Jack, McVeigh, Rohan and Mills (and a retired Tippett who would have played if fit). All would be in the starting 22 if fit, that's 8 players we need to cover in all parts of the ground. Our depth is being tested more than any recent year in memory. Not Longmire's fault. Premierships are built on list quality and low injuries.

I really hope we look at recruiting one or 2 mature midfielders to get our contested and clearance game back to where it should be. Also need to work on our tackling

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Players missing from our best 22; Reid, Naismith, Melican, Hannebery, Jack, McVeigh, Rohan and Mills (and a retired Tippett who would have played if fit). All would be in the starting 22 if fit, that's 8 players we need to cover in all parts of the ground. Our depth is being tested more than any recent year in memory. Not Longmire's fault. Premierships are built on list quality and low injuries.

I really hope we look at recruiting one or 2 mature midfielders to get our contested and clearance game back to where it should be. Also need to work on our tackling

Deserves to have his contract honoured or go on his own terms. Has contract til 2020 or 2021?

Senior Player
    So with Jones and probably Grundy out next week what I don't want to see is the same boring hang in there type of game plan. Let the kids have a crack, I don't give a stuff how much we lose by so long as we have a go. The way we played tonight anyone would think we were coached by Ross Lyon.
    If we entered Inside 50 more frequently via our midfield, game plan would largely take care of itself. Other teams are running riot onto loose balls and at times doubling our inside 50 count. Not sustainable. Midfield prowess that we had has been decimated.

Senior Player
    If we entered Inside 50 more frequently via our midfield, game plan would largely take care of itself. Other teams are running riot onto loose balls and at times doubling our inside 50 count. Not sustainable. Midfield prowess that we had has been decimated.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Deserves to have his contract honoured or go on his own terms. Has contract til 2020 or 2021?
    I understand and agree with all concerns here regarding our gameplan and no plan B and all the other knocks on Horse. But I agree with the above statement more. We have never had a rebuild or missed the 8 in his time leading the club. He deserves an opportunity to show if he is capable of doing that and turning things around. It's a challenge he's never faced before so nobody on here has the right to say that he can't do it as he's never actually had to try as yet!

That time is now though and these things can take a few years, not weeks! I'm interested to see if A. He's up to it or B. He even wants to give it a go and not retire with his great record a la Roos.

Time will tell and he deserves first shot!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    He can only come up with a plan that the players are capable of implementing. The way they we executing our basic skills at present, plan a down to z wont help.
    I agree. The really disappointing aspect of the last 2 games is when the boys have had a crack and run straight through the middle,passes whether by hand or kick haven't gone within a bulls roar of their target. If our skills had been only passable we would certainly have beaten the suns and problably the Bombers too

I dont think Longmire is to blame for current state of losing. Sure, questions still remain about turning top 4 finished into flags, but thats another issue.

My feeling is that right now, we can barely put a fit 22 on the park. This is based on the evidence:
    - We are still blooding debutants like Cameron and Dawson at this late stage in the season.
    - Previous out-of-favour players are getting a game (Allir)
    - The circus around Reg Grundy's selection. He's obviously not fit, but we discovered that we need him half fit or not.
    - Playing players who can barely move. Earlier Hannerbury and Jack, now Buddy.

Very hard to see us being a contender, with all these injuries. Doesnt matter how good the coach is.

Silver lining is we might see AJ back in the team before years end.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I dont think Longmire is to blame for current state of losing. Sure, questions still remain about turning top 4 finished into flags, but thats another issue.

My feeling is that right now, we can barely put a fit 22 on the park. This is based on the evidence:
    - We are still blooding debutants like Cameron and Dawson at this late stage in the season.
    - Previous out-of-favour players are getting a game (Allir)
    - The circus around Reg Grundy's selection. He's obviously not fit, but we discovered that we need him half fit or not.
    - Playing players who can barely move. Earlier Hannerbury and Jack, now Buddy.

Very hard to see us being a contender, with all these injuries. Doesnt matter how good the coach is.

Silver lining is we might see AJ back in the team before years end.
    +1

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast