Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Longmire cooked?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    'Fake news'......yes there is a lot of that going around these days but you can't just write off every footy news story. They're not all made up surely.....I don't think blind loyalty to a club excuses ignoring something that might have credence and in a lot of ways, makes a lot of sense. I love Horse as much as the next Swans fan but everyone has their limitations and no one is perfect.
    Why would you believe this particular story when it is hearsay and gossip?

Longmire’s not cooked. The team is.

It’s hard enough to win with one or two key players out.

We’re missing half a dozen - Reid, Hanners, McVeigh, Rohan, Jack, Mills, Melican, Naismith. Add to that the injured and fatigued that are playing - Buddy, Papley, Grundy, etc.

It’s frustrating losing, but it’s got little to do with Longmire’s game plan. If it did, why were we doing so well before the bye?

Quote Originally Posted by TopEndSwan View Post
    Longmire’s not cooked. The team is.

It’s hard enough to win with one or two key players out.

We’re missing half a dozen - Reid, Hanners, McVeigh, Rohan, Jack, Mills, Melican, Naismith. Add to that the injured and fatigued that are playing - Buddy, Papley, Grundy, etc.

It’s frustrating losing, but it’s got little to do with Longmire’s game plan. If it did, why were we doing so well before the bye?
    As I see it Horse's game plan is based on a team defence and contested football. We play a congested style of game and try to achieve a high tackle count. This requires players winning contested balls all the time and heavy tackling. You can see how years and years of this style of football has taken its toll on players - Hanners, Jack, Tippett, Reid and now you can see Buddy and Joey are now playing injured. Plus a lot of the younger guys are nowhere as good as they were early in the season.

We recruited faster younger players but the game style Horse wants is not winning on the outside but pressure and strength on the inside.

We just have enough fit players anymore to play this style.

If Horse cannot change his style (which is the same since he took over senior coaching) then he should go. The Swans Football Club, and I think the players as well cannot afford another year like 2018

Jeez. Here we go again. Horses' head on a bed pillow please!!

HORSE DOESN'T PLAY.

Blind Freddie can see that our players are injured, tired and beaten. Playing finals 16 years in a row takes it's toll.

One the subject of coaching... where are the assistant coaches and what do they do exactly? Is Stevie J the forwards coach? What a great addition he's been to the coaching panel (not). I don't like Stevie J, I've never liked Stevie J and I think he's poison to the club. Buddy was kicking better under the part-time care of Plugger. Who coaches the midfield? Kirky? WTF are you Kirky? Where's the bloods spirit you purport to have? Why aren't you instilling it into the kids?

Dare I say it, we have to go back to basics. We have to man up, play the ball and not the man, kick to someone on the lead, etc.
    It's all very well to stop goals at the other end (and it seems very hard for us to get the ball out of the backline, but that's another story); but if you're not kicking goals up the other end, you're losing the game.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    So with Jones and probably Grundy out next week what I don't want to see is the same boring hang in there type of game plan. Let the kids have a crack, I don't give a stuff how much we lose by so long as we have a go. The way we played tonight anyone would think we were coached by Ross Lyon.
    That was our problem on Friday night, the team didn't know when to hold back and not play run and gun. Plan b needs to be play uncontested/Hawks footy when there are no obvious targets or the other team has the momentum.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I know youse all hate Robbo on here. He had this to say about us. The last sentence is an interesting one. Category: | Herald Sun

Sydney has lost its mojo and the finger is being pointed at coach John Longmire, led by Herald Sun columnist Dermott Brereton.

The Swans are in a trough and maybe they can work themselves out of it, but the trends are disturbing.

Over the past four matches - from which they have won one (North Melbourne) and lost three (Geelong, Gold Coast, Essendon) - the Swans are 16th for inside 50m differential, 17th for time in forward half differential, 13th for points scored, 15th for points scored from turnovers and 15th for scores per inside 50m.

In other words, they don’t get inside enough, can’t keep it inside 50m, don’t score enough when it’s inside and cough up the ball too much which leads to opposition scoring.

If it wasn’t the Swans, you’d think this team was a complete rabble.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    As I see it Horse's game plan is based on a team defence and contested football. We play a congested style of game and try to achieve a high tackle count...
    Nope, this may be the result but it hasn't been the way the team has (wanted to) played for a long time. The basics are to win the contested ball and spread as fast as possible, they are not trying to create another contest. It just isn't being executed, possibly through lack of experience, at the moment
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Nope, this may be the result but it hasn't been the way the team has (wanted to) played for a long time. The basics are to win the contested ball and spread as fast as possible, they are not trying to create another contest. It just isn't being executed, possibly through lack of experience, at the moment
    A lack of experience. A lack of fit, hardened bodies.

It continues to baffle me why some people can't distinguish between plan and execution (not you, clearly).

The basics of the game are the same for every club - win the ball and use it well when you do. There may be some variation in the emphasis teams place on different mechanisms for winning the ball, and in how they move it when they have it, but the fundamentals are just that. At the moment, our guys aren't capable of winning the ball or using it well when they have it, which is the result (I believe) of a combination of the available personnel, fitness of those personnel, physical development of some of those personnel, and confidence. Nought to do with game plan.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Why would you believe this particular story when it is hearsay and gossip?
    You know that for a fact do you?

The thing is you see, if we keep Horse long enough, eventually his game plan will come back into vogue. A bit like flairs. Unfortunately I'm too old to wait another 20 years. I had to wait 47 years for the first one.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    You know that for a fact do you?
    Unless there's a first hand source for the story, it is - by definition - either hearsay or made up. Either way, it doesn't have a whole heap of credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Unless there's a first hand source for the story, it is - by definition - either hearsay or made up. Either way, it doesn't have a whole heap of credibility.
    In theory, in a reputable publication, journalists cannot run stories unless they have sources, and if the sources are anonymous multiple sources. So if the Age journos were talking about this publicly (although they've never gone to print with it) that would imply it's come from sources and more than one at that.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast