Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 20 Weekly Discussion Thread

Regular in the Side
    A red card would make a difference to Fremantle though as they were a player short on the rotations and West Coast were not. For Gaff type situations where the action is blatant and results in a player not being able to continue in the game i am totally in favour of a red card. By red card I mean that Gaff would have been removed from the game and replaced by one of the West Coast bench players. For a black card offence he would not be replaced and West Coast would have continued with 17 players on the field. I am not in favour of that yet. A lesser punishment would be a sin bin either with or without replacement which I am also not in favour of as I think it would overly complicate the game.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I agree. This thing of rubbing it in when an opposition player makes a mistake or loses a one-on-one contest is really annoying. It's mostly younger players doing it. You don't tend to see a quality senior player like a Kennedy or a Dangerfield doing it, but sometimes I wish they would tell some of the younger guys to pull their heads in. I get that it's very common, and the lowest common denominator rules a lot of the time, but maybe players could concentrate on the game and trying
    to do things well rather than sledging an opposition player when he makes a mistake. I mean it's not as if most of our guys are ever more than ten or fifteen minutes away from making a mistake or losing a contest themselves.
    It's funny (not really) that pretty much all the good players on my son's team are the same. They clap when the opposition make a mistake, yell when someone is about to have kick etc. And it's not just his team either.
    Still to waiting to see 18 stand a mark though :-)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    What makes people think that they arent? - They may be loosely applied but there isnt some law in this country in the criminal code that says " but not if its on a footy field".
    There are some interesting questions around this issue. Suppose a player in a marking contest knees another player in the head which cause serious brain damage or death. Would this come under the criminal code, and what would the charges be? Would the AFL be responsible for sanctioning an act that can cause grievous bodily harm?

A football game is an artificial environment where some unacceptable behaviour in the normal course of life doesn't pertain. There are a lot of parties responsible for creating the football playing environment. How responsible they each should be legally is not at all clear.

How would similar situations apply to motor racing, where a reckless or dangerous driving act causes serious harm to another driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There are some interesting questions around this issue. Suppose a player in a marking contest knees another player in the head which cause serious brain damage or death. Would this come under the criminal code, and what would the charges be? Would the AFL be responsible for sanctioning an act that can cause grievous bodily harm?

A football game is an artificial environment where some unacceptable behaviour in the normal course of life doesn't pertain. There are a lot of parties responsible for creating the football playing environment. How responsible they each should be legally is not at all clear.

How would similar situations apply to motor racing, where a reckless or dangerous driving act causes serious harm to another driver?
    I think in play / behind play is relevant to this. When a player takes the field, they accept they may be injured in a tackle, marking contest etc. That's part of the game. They consent to what in another context would constitute assault, which could include a blow to the head in a marking contest (missed spoil etc).

I don't think they consent to being punched when they are nowhere near the contest. However, until the game says all this sort of behaviour is unacceptable, its something of a grey area as it's still in the broadest sense "part of the game". It's goes on throughout the AFL. I'm with others on here who think that all this niggle behind play, jumper punches etc needs to be stamped out. Players need to know that off-the-ball stuff won't be tolerated.

Senior Player
    I also hate all the niggle around the ground. The stuff that irks me the most is the push and shove for the minute prior to the bounce of the ball at the beginning of quarters esp the first quarter.

I watch a lot of footy and I noticed that this basically didn’t happen in a number of games this weekend. There was next to none prior to the Richmond Geelong game. And neither prior to the Swans Collingwood game ( that I noticed). Seemed that players simply took their position and jostled a little for front or back starting positions but they weren’t hitting or elbowing or shouldering.

I really was impressed and I wondered if it had been a decree from the afl ( after jones incident last week that he was fined for ) that they would come down hard on it.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    They kinda already have that, with intentional generally only applied in off the ball incidents. I realise there are some categories of on the ball incidents now classified as intentional (such as raising the elbow in a marking contest) but these are rare. And if someone punches another player with no intent to contest the ball, I think those should be pretty harshly dealt with too.

I think that, in general, penalties applied by the MRO/tribunal tend to be a little on the low side. I thought - at the time - that Hall's penalty was at the very lowest end of the acceptable range, and I thought an extra week or two for both Bugg and Cameron wouldn't have been out of order.
    The "intentional" grading tries to achieve this, but I think it has a couple of problems (a) it requires officials to read the minds of players (b) it isn't clear enough to the players. How often do we hear an offender say afterwards "I didn't mean to hurt him"? I expect this is true - they didn't intend for that outcome to eventuate, but they DID intend to take their action (anticipating a different outcome). It's just too murky to drive behaviour.

Now these things can be cleared up (mens rea in criminal law and all that), but it would be clearer and more simple to have a well-defined, objective measure. It might work out much the same in terms of penalties, but be more effective in reducing offences.

Hall actually got 10 weeks, which I'm ok with - but it was discounted under the system at the time, which I don't think was right. I'd support an additional loading for repeat offenders, but discounts for good behaviour for intentional offences doesn't sit well with me. Cameron I have a bit more sympathy for because it was actually in play - 5 weeks seems about right.

Neville Bruns who was knocked out by Leigh Matthews said on SEN this morning that Gaff should get 12 Months. Later this morning this happened.....Shannon Grant wins appeal against jail sentence for assaulting former partner - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

8 weeks for A. Gaff .

Who actually pays for 4 or more implants (irretrievable apparently) , oh and the broken jaw.
    They come (the implants) at huge cost and take 6 months or more of prep.

Implants are more usual in yr 60s and 70’s, pretty awful to need them yr teens.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    8 weeks for A. Gaff .

Who actually pays for 4 or more implants (irretrievable apparently) , oh and the broken jaw.
    They come (the implants) at huge cost and take 6 months or more of prep.

Implants are more usual in yr 60s and 70’s, pretty awful to need them yr teens.
    I’d imagine the financial cost might be covered by club insurance. If not, presumably the Dockers ( or maybe the Eagles) will foot the bill.

Senior Player
    I guessed it would be 8-10. Thought they might go with 10 for the strong message. Anyway, that's his season, finals and a fair chunk of reputation rubbed out. Defence wanted 3...what a joke.

Anyway, that will fuel the Melbourne media circus through to the weekend when play starts again

Veterans List
    Previous fists knocking people out have been 6 weeks. AFL is big on players being responsible for the outcomes of their actions so 6 weeks was never going to cut it.

8 weeks given the lifetime damage done to a young man is barely enough but will do in the circumstances. Clear message to players is don't clench a fist, ever!

Think the AFL is finally getting tough, as it should, on these non football actions.

His counsel saying these things start at 3 weeks was putrid and disappointing given the damage done.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Previous fists knocking people out have been 6 weeks. AFL is big on players being responsible for the outcomes of their actions so 6 weeks was never going to cut it.

8 weeks given the lifetime damage done to a young man is barely enough but will do in the circumstances. Clear message to players is don't clench a fist, ever!

Think the AFL is finally getting tough, as it should, on these non football actions.

His counsel saying these things start at 3 weeks was putrid and disappointing given the damage done.
    Three weeks! Seriously, these spuds will say anything as long as the meter is ticking. Either that or just too thick to realise how insulting asking for three weeks is.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast