Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 21 Swans v Melbourne, MCG, Sun 12 Aug 3:20pm @SydneySwans #AFLDeesSwans

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Great kick and set shot, really good hands and a natural left footer. I like that!
    Just wished he'd kicked that second goal. Would have saved a few heart palpitations towards the end. Though Papley's chance to do the same was an easier one. (But can't really criticise him too much given the great goals he did kick today).

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    A win against GWS next week sets us up for a Top 4 decider vs Hawks. At home.
    Despite us having met in the finals previously, next week is arguably the biggest Sydney Derby thus far. Huge game for both teams in the context of the broader season. Should be a cracker.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Warming the Bench
    So proud of all the Swans supporters after the game for there ovation given to Alex and the team. Today was a very happy sad day. I think Nick Newmans reaction says it all for all of us.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    A win against GWS next week sets us up for a Top 4 decider vs Hawks. At home.
    I'd like to see that!

Senior Player
    Do you think AJ’s knees aren’t as structurally sound and built for footy as other players, or is he just ridiculously unlucky? I know today was an unfortunate injury (he clipped a Melbourne players boot with his left foot and redirected his weight midair onto his right placing it in an awkward position), but is he just prone to these sorts of ligament issues?

Whatever the case, I am absolutely gutted for him. I feel sick about it.

Greta win
    Took the game on skills were heaps better, changed things up too
    Newman and Paps career games
    Heeney Awesome
    AA Rance like
    Hannas got more involved and was always going to be rusty
    Sinclair huge
    Mids awesome
    HBFs awesome
    Hewett massive
    Buddy up the ground opened the game up
    Floreant best game for 2 months
    Dawson going to be a star
    All contributed and that is what it is going to take from now on nothing less

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    Do you think AJ’s knees aren’t as structurally sound and built for footy as other players, or is he just ridiculously unlucky? I know today was an unfortunate injury (he clipped a Melbourne players boot with his left foot and redirected his weight midair onto his right placing it in an awkward position), but is he just prone to these sorts of ligament issues?

GoSwannies is probably better placed to comment, but I once read that the most significant indicator of the likelihood of a player doing a knee is whether he has previously done one. And that doesn't apply just to reinjuring the bad knee, but a rupture to either of the two knees. We see an awful lot of players do multiple knees in their careers. It would be interesting to see some stats of the number of players who've done one knee vs the number who've had multiple ACL injuries.

I think I also read that a second pretty important indicator is whether a close relative has previously done a knee. Most here will remember Kristen Thornton, who was shaping to be a handy player for us about a decade ago but suffered an ACL and then a series of (probably related) hamstring injuries. His older brother, who played for Freo (I think) also ruptured an ACL, and so did his twin (who played at WAFL level).

They will all be ( both teams ) really knackered after that game. It was hard .

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post

It’s absolute devrstated and I was devestated to the point of numbness when it happened.

From a medical point of view the truth is that ACL rupture is an injury that seems to have a genetic predisposition. We know that if you rupture one ACL in elite sport then you are more likely to both rerupture the same side but also more likely to rupture the OTHER side than the average for elite sportspeople. That would seem to indicate that someone who ruptures their ACL is Likley to have “weaker” ACL’s than other people. So In a way I’m not surprised that this has happened but I’m devestated nonetheless. A comparison would be Jon Patton who has done his other side I believe this year ( now 3 In total). Part of me wonders if it is sad fact that these people’s bodies just aren’t up to the rigours of AFL football as sad as it is. Very hard to find out after working so hard to get to senior level.

As I said I’m gutted for AJ and can’t even imagine what he is feeling

For some reason, AJ's injury made me think a bit more about Sam Reid today. He is often criticised and maligned for being injured. Tippett copped it a lot too. I think some people must have a predisposition to injury whether that be ACLs or soft tissue. It must be so frustrating being one of these guys as you work so hard to get to where you know you can be only for it to be taken away from you time and again.

Veterans List
    That was a fantastic win. Very emotional game. We really dug deep in that last quarter. Most of the players couldn't run but they just kept pressuring them.

The 2nd and 3rd quarters we ran and ran and ran, which is how we should be playing.

I don't think any player had a bad game.
    - Hewett was good especially early.
    - Kennedy is a beast.
    - Have to give a lot of praise to Newman. He ran hard all game and read the ball well. Same with Cunningham.
    - Sinclair was good around the ground and nullified Gawn's influence outside of the ruck contests.
    - Heeney...what can I say about that last quarter? The crowd went nuts when he took that mark!

I'm so upset about AJ 😞. As soon as he went to ground I knew he had done his knee. The entire crowd was hushed because they knew what had happened. We were all in disbelief. Credit to the Demon supporters for clapping him off. You could see at the end of the game how the players feel about AJ. Even from the stands you could see how emotional Newman was.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That mark Heeney took with around about 2 mins to go, 1 on 1 with a high ball just near the defending goal square - we should make every defender watch that bit of play 100 times. Perfect positioning, eyes never left the footy, and outworked his opponent with ease. Was the mark of a very classy footballer the way he controlled, under such huge pressure, such a critical passage of play.
    Mark of the year!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!