Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 21 Swans v Melbourne, MCG, Sun 12 Aug 3:20pm @SydneySwans #AFLDeesSwans

Veterans List
    Some will dismiss our last 2 victories because of injuries to opposition players. Hogan gets injured in the game and Gawn looks to have gone into the game injured. However, it is swings and roundabouts. We could argue that we have key injuries also. Gee 2 down at Q time. In the end, in almost every season it is the teams that win the war of attrition that contest the big day. In 2016 Kennedy and Parker both went into the GF with injuries incurred in the PF, then Hanners got injured early in the last quarter.

To me, even with AJ and Smith out our backline will hold up. Looks like COR will come back in. As long as the rest of the team stays on the park we can make an impact in finals. How good would it be if we knock over Hawthorn in the last round to claim 3rd.

I have a few Melbourne supporter friends. They think that Petracca is good but not as good as Heeney. What do RWO'ers think about how they went in comparison on Sunday?

On the booing; I am not one who gets too excited about the term " tall poppy syndrome" but boy some supporters should stay home. We all know Hawthorn have a history of booing opposition players but it seems to be getting out of control. So Buddy got booed for aggressive but fair strong play. Am I to believe that some supporters would rather be watching touch football. When we played Essendon, people behind us were bagging Heeney all game. We just didn't get it. I felt like saying watch the game you Neanderthals. I have been watching our game for 55 years and can't remember this rubbish at the level it is. Back in the day we used to marvel at the ability of star opposition players. Fans went to watch and barrack on their teams and were absorbed in he game. Now people think it is funny to bag opposition players and racially abuse players. Has society changed this much? Grown adults sit there and laugh and giggle at their mates comments.

So Hawthorn bag Ablett for a stage. Strewth staging has been part of the game since day dot. I guess we should think that Hawthorn are who they are, because they lauded and still do, the dirtiest player ever.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Yes, but there could be a big come-down this week. You can only ride on ""doing it for AJ" for so long.
    so go easy on them if they do lose. Theý are are only human.
    Well it is the derby this weekend so I wouldn’t expect a big come down. Though it also depends how much that game took out of the players with the less players being available on the bench etc.

Veterans List
    I was thinking this morning that if the AFL introduced the 6-6-6 rule then Heeney wouldn't have had that amazing last quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I was thinking this morning that if the AFL introduced the 6-6-6 rule then Heeney wouldn't have had that amazing last quarter.
    The 6-6-6 rule is only mooted for the centre bounces. The women had to play under that rule last year and all it meant was as soon as the ball was bounced the players ran pell-mell to the parts of the ground they would have been in anyway (no doubt under coaches’ instructions).

Which is what I think Heeney would have been instructed to do last week even had that rule applied.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The 6-6-6 rule is only mooted for the centre bounces. The women had to play under that rule last year and all it meant was as soon as the ball was bounced the players ran pell-mell to the parts of the ground they would have been in anyway (no doubt under coaches’ instructions).

Which is what I think Heeney would have been instructed to do last week even had that rule applied.
    Oh I thought it was for all stoppages because I heard Buckley saying the other week he was concerned about having to wait for players to get into position. I must have misunderstood.

Veterans List
    The AFL tracker says that Ben Ronke wS 5th on the ground for distance covered. Did he have a run with role.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Oh I thought it was for all stoppages because I heard Buckley saying the other week he was concerned about having to wait for players to get into position. I must have misunderstood.
    Some are arguing it should be for all stoppages but I don’t think that is under any serious consideration.

It would hold up play far too long if players had to get back into that positioning every time there was a stoppage. In effect it would become zones even if not designated as such.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Not sure if Heeney was the spare for the whole time he was playing in defence for the last quarter. They showed behind the goals footage of his mark and he was clearly marking Hogan one on one.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    Agreed i don't usually believe in the hype of milestone games etc
    Once the ball is bounced all of that is forgotten
    but if that is AJ's last appearance for the Swans it will be remembered for that image of him at quarter time

- - - Updated - - -

Plenty on here complain about Vic-centric bias and i read comments regarding BT and his Gawn commentary
    He definitely can be annoying but he gushed over Alir in the same manner as Gawn and no complaints
    I thought the commentary was largely well rounded on the weekend
    Really Like Bartel as special comments
    Agree that Bartel is excellent. Informative, insightful, balanced. Riewoldt is also a good addition.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Not sure if Heeney was the spare for the whole time he was playing in defence for the last quarter. They showed behind the goals footage of his mark and he was clearly marking Hogan one on one.
    Bob Murphy on The Age podcast reckoned Heeney should play as a key defender now. I think they'll play him where we're under the most pressure, but that may now be as a defender, not just as a spare. The selection of Dawson gives us more versatility with respect to Heeney. Handy player, Dawson - he's been important in our last two wins.

On the 6-6-6 discussion above, I understand it's definitely just at centre bounces for now. I heard Whateley observe that McGovern wouldn't have taken his match-winning mark for West Coast on the weekend under 6-6-6.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Bob Murphy on The Age podcast reckoned Heeney should play as a key defender now. I think they'll play him where we're under the most pressure, but that may now be as a defender, not just as a spare. The selection of Dawson gives us more versatility with respect to Heeney. Handy player, Dawson - he's been important in our last two wins.
    I think the Swans may already have wasted the talents of Mills for a couple of seasons by leaving him in defence. I'd hate to see them confine Heeney to that end of the ground on a long term basis. I don't have an issue with him going back as he did on Sunday, with our defensive stocks depleted, but as natural as he looked back there, he's also one of our more creative players in other parts of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think the Swans may already have wasted the talents of Mills for a couple of seasons by leaving him in defence. I'd hate to see them confine Heeney to that end of the ground on a long term basis. I don't have an issue with him going back as he did on Sunday, with our defensive stocks depleted, but as natural as he looked back there, he's also one of our more creative players in other parts of the ground.
    Fully agree on Mills and it's one of the reasons I'm not as worried as others about our midfield. He comes in next year and now we've added Dawson. I'm also confident Ling will make the grade and Stoddart looks promising as well.

Let's not forget that Heeney kicked 2 goals and had a goal assist as well, so he had a big impact on our scoring for the game. For me, Mills and Heeney are in the same boat. You want to have them playing where they have most opportunities to have the ball in their hands.