Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Best 22 for 2019

On the veteran's list
    Champion Data in tomorrow's Hun ranks all the AFL lists. They have us ranked 13th with our midfield ranked at that point as well. Our forward line is ranked 10th and our defence 9th. (we have only Saints, Dogs, Dockers, Suns and Blues behind us)

So it looks like we may as well write off 2019!

BTW they have Melbourne ranked 1st and Adelaide 2nd
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Champion Data in tomorrow's Hun ranks all the AFL lists. They have us ranked 13th with our midfield ranked at that point as well. Our forward line is ranked 10th and our defence 9th. (we have only Saints, Dogs, Dockers, Suns and Blues behind us)

Those rankings are historical rather than predictive. I have high hopes our list is going to take a significant step forward next year and the club will finish higher than 13th.

Just wondering others thoughts are re Florent and his future pathway of development in 2019/20 ?

Pick 11: Oliver Florent - sydneyswans.com.au

When we watched his draft recruitment video pick 11 we saw a very composed good decision making goal kicking outside player for most of the footage.

Then the later part of the video we saw a standout player playing an inside role in the game that featured the top talent from all states and was the clincher for Kinnear Beatson

I wonder if we will see Ollie moving a little more thru the mid rather then the outside wings in 2019 especially with the likes of Thurlow, ling, stoddart, Clarke etc all pushing for over lapping / HBF running roles

I suspect Florent maybe on a not to dissimilar pathway to hanners past roles at the Swans ?

A young player at 22yrs of age who made a great transition is Jed Anderson at north

Jed slightly smaller in height and weight than Ollie very similar skill set saw Jed in 2017 start to play inside outside then primarily inside for 2018 and really helped north fast inside game

Jeds speed off the mark and fast decision making made him allusive and tough to handle and really helped norths contested exits

This is an area we must keep excelling at and find an edge with our rotation

Veterans List
    That's it then, Crows to make the GF and play Melb at their home ground, Norm Smith's curse to be broken? Carlton holding the Crows first pick won't be happy

For us, looks like 13th next year, players will be tipped out early for surgery, score the dreaded pick 6 in the ND and a bottom 6 draw for 2020, lock it in!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post

Not too fussed by that analysis, it’s based on the tripe we served up in 2018 and doesn’t necessaruly reflect what we will do in 2019

BTW do you recall who was the highest ranked team last season?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Not too fussed by that analysis, it’s based on the tripe we served up in 2018 and doesn’t necessaruly reflect what we will do in 2019

BTW do you recall who was the highest ranked team last season?
    Not sure if it was done using the same methodology/ranking scale, but at the start of 2018 they had the Swans with the most players they ranked as "elite" in their position and with a much higher than the norm number ranked as "above average" in their position. I'm not convinced by the value of that approach as it doesn't weight the value of the different positions (ie if you have elite back pockets and small forwards a team is less likely to be good than if they have elite onballers and key forwards).

I believe the same analysis had the Eagles rated around 11th or 12th (certainly well outside the top eight).

The whole exercise should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

As others have mentioned, any cause we have for optimism for 2019 is largely based on expectation (or hope) that our younger players will develop. What makes this a fair basis for optimism is that we're not pinning our hope on one or two players to make a sudden leap but rather on the potential for improvement from a decently sized group of players who've proved they can cut it at AFL level but not yet consistently (either within games or from week to week).

So our improvement could come from just Heeney reaching the level we hope he's capable of and Mills finding his niche as a dominant on-baller. But it could equally well come from incremental improvement by some or all of Heeney, Mills, Aliir, Melican. Hayward, Ronke, Papley, Florent, Naismith, Dawson, O'Riordan, McCartin… That's potentially half our team who have shown their talent but have significant scope for improvement.

Improvement will also come from having a fit key position forward in Sam Reid. They don't grow on trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Improvement will also come from having a fit key position forward in Sam Reid. They don't grow on trees.
    We will have to see if that eventuates. So far it hasn't panned out in Sam's (or our) favour.

Warming the Bench
    no room for the best intercept defender in the league?
    I don't rate Allir. I personally think he is probably our weakest link in the back line. Opposition teams only need to make him accountable and he goes to pieces. He also has a tendancy to do stupid little short passes when in fact he should be looking for a longer option.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd Swan View Post
    I don't rate Allir. I personally think he is probably our weakest link in the back line. Opposition teams only need to make him accountable and he goes to pieces. He also has a tendancy to do stupid little short passes when in fact he should be looking for a longer option.
    Can't agree with that at all, he took the highest number of contested marks in the league in the back half of the season and is generally pretty reliable one on one. If the coaches are doing their job properly he shouldn't need to be isolated one on one as a deep defender.

Even though he looks ungainly he probably has the both the most attacking and most reliable disposal in the back line (unless you want to count Llloyd's sideways dinks to an unmanned opponent). I actually feel that Alir's rebound has been coached out of him and he has been instructed to take the safest option (hence the short kicks) to the detriment of the team. There has been a clear change to his decision making when he was finally returned to the team in the middle of the season

I actually feel that Alir's rebound has been coached out of him and he has been instructed to take the safest option (hence the short kicks) to the detriment of the team. There has been a clear change to his decision making when he was finally returned to the team in the middle of the season
    Yes, me too.
    That was the reason he disappeared for all that time.
    That or for disciplinary reasons.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Yes, me too.
    That was the reason he disappeared for all that time.
    That or for disciplinary reasons.
    Or it may simply have been the explanation the club gave - that he had an injury interrupted pre-season (bung toe) and that it took him time to regain his fitness, confidence and form.

And of course Melican had emerged and was playing some good football, which made it harder to Aliir to force his way back into the side.