Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2019 ladder prediction for the swans

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    It’s hard to disagree with a lot of what he says, and I’m not a robbo fan. The potential upside of our youth and a few returning injured players fortunes this year will tell the story of how our season unfolds IMO. If they don’t take that step up in impact and consistency then it’s probably very unlikely we will make the finals. That being said we weren’t far off being top four last year , and beat both the grand finalists ( the premiers twice ) so who really knows how far off the pace we are. Our best footy last year put away some of the top teams and challenged , at least in patches of games, some of the others. Some very ho hum wins and some bitterly disappointing losses ( Gold Coast suns ) against poor opposition maybe stick in the minds more than the great wins we had, perhaps because they seemed to highlight our deficiencies in skill execution and game plan. But those skills and game plan when executed well were good enough to beat the premier twice , grand finalist once and a rampaging demons side. 6-9 for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those 2 factors are critical plus whether we can actually evolve our gameplan to follow where the game is going.

If our young group of Cygnets that are starting to reach that 100 odd game range and heading towards their peak years age wise can take the next step, we will make a step improvement this year. If they don't quite do that, and we continue to rely too much on the elder statesmen to carry too much of the burden, then it'll be much like last year. 6-9 for mine as well is a decent assessment.

This year feels like it could be 2009 or 2010 esque in the 'evolutionary' stage, but a surprise like what happened in 2012 isn't out of the realms of possibility either - but it will need a step change in performance from the younger guys, standout years for some of our elder statesmen, and a more effective gameplan that starts to move with the times. I can't see all three happening this year, but hope runs aplenty at this time of year, and stranger things have happened in footy! And we are being thrown in the bin by many out there in media land, and that's how we have generally liked it. Logic says a broken clock is right twice a day, so maybe its their turn to be right - but lets hope we can prove them wrong yet again!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

We have the cattle - but we need
    We have Mills/Heeney/Alir to get to Elite status
    Keep improving - Floreant/Papley/Ronke/Hayward/Melican/Dawson/Jones/Mccartib
    Get back to their best or close to - Reid/Macca/Kennedy
    Be yourself - Buddy
    Maintain - Ramps/Parker/Sinclair/Hewett/Lloyd
    Add to the 22 - Thurlow/Blakey/Menzel
    Cant see Jack/Smith being a big influence

Throw in a bit of injury luck and its all possible

Regular in the Side
    Some positive prediction for a change, Buddy to win the Brownlow, see KB’s Buddy Franklin prediction

2 comments:

* Smith is serially underrated by many

* I think our issues are more with cattle than with our game plan. We have evolved our style (note evolved, not thrown baby out with the bathwater) and we are waiting for our promising young talent to come online and fully realise their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Swans outs:

1. Franklin - best 22
    2. Jones. - best 22
    3. Grundy - fringe
    4. Macca - no
    5. Jack - no
    6. McCartin -no, Reid takes his spot
    7. Smith - fringe
    8. Menzel -like for like replacement for Rohan who was fringe. So fringe.
    I make that 2 with 2 maybe's.

Therefore pretty strong squad for the sun's.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I make that 2 with 2 maybe's.

Therefore pretty strong squad for the sun's.
    McVeigh in best 22 on merit. No brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    McVeigh in best 22 on merit. No brainer.

100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Robbo has us missing the finals. Reckons we're falling off the pace, lack outside run and don't win enough of the 50-50 ball. The more I hear of these type of predictions the more comfortable I feel, as we have good record of proving the doubters wrong!

Outline - Read & annotate without distractions
    However, he has clearly identified what our true weaknesses are.

It's hard for us to keep up with the comp when; we have no go home factor, we have almost no stay at home factor, our father/sons selections are weakened (because most are based interstate), we don't have the media exposure or secondary income of the AFL states, etc, etc.

We, and all northern states, are severely impeded and the AFL needs to acknowledge this.

Injured or not ready for round 1.

1. McCartin
    2. Jack
    3. Smith
    4. Menzel
    5. Naismith
    6. Ollie

Also I would go McInerney instead of Clarke for a bench spot if Ollie is injured still - Clarke and McInerney probably to fight out the last spot in the 22 for round 1

I believe We need the outside players against the doggies hence McInerney on the bench and Mills moving into 50% midfield game time

Prior to today I was not sure if we can have both Dawson and blakey in the team but now I think we can and they provide strong targets against the dogs smaller backline

———

Hoping sinclair and buddy ready for round 1 ? Buddy came into last years round 1 with no pre season games from memory and helped get us a round 1 win against West Coast

Round 1 team 2019
    B: lloyd , Grundy, Rampe
    HB: Thurlow, AA, Mills
    C: Cunningham, Kennedy , Jones
    HF: Hayward , Franklin , Dawson
    F: Papley, Reid, ronke
    Following: Heeney, sinclair, Parker
    I/C: macca, blakey, McInerney, Hewett
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 10th March 2019 at 04:52 PM.

I can’t agree on Mcinerney over Clarke. Clarke was one of our best yesterday. Mcinerney has huge potential but needs plenty of work. Would like to see him string together some consistent performances in the NEAFL before rewarding him with a senior debut. He looks good when he is involved but he floats in and out of the game too much at this early stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really excited by what Thurlow could bring if he stays on the park. Best 22 for mine if fit. Intercepting half back with the ability to push up onto a wing. I think we'll get the best out of him.

The AGE experts has given their ladder predictions for each team. They have us and the Hawks as the big sliders (not surprised, as it's consistent with other media forecasts). However was taken a back somewhat when they described us as the "ageing Swans". They obviously haven't bothered to scrutinised our list as I think statistically we have the 7th youngest list or thereabouts?

This is a pay wall article but Outline was only able to extract a portion of the article: Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast