Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fixture

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Just adding to Liz's earlier conspiracy theory about the Giants and day/afternoon games (I always love me a good conspiracy theory!). Check out their draw - every home game in Sydney is an afternoon game....
    Good for crowds, sheethouse for corporate exposure.

Veterans List
    We have to wait all the way until the final round of the season for the 'Hannerbury Cup' game.....

Veterans List
    We play rounds 2,4,6,8,10 in dew, which we proved poor on in 2018. None of these games are against lower ranked sides. Playing Richmond at Marvel Stadium avoids the MCG dew. So I see the degree of difficulty in the first half of the season as higher than it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    We play rounds 2,4,6,8,10 in dew, which we proved poor on in 2018. None of these games are against lower ranked sides. Playing Richmond at Marvel Stadium avoids the MCG dew. So I see the degree of difficulty in the first half of the season as higher than it looks.
    Dew presented us with quite a few problems at the SCG. Particularly in round 18.

Veterans List
    Low scoring games = poor percentage.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Low scoring games = poor percentage.
    Not if you also keep the opposition to a low score.

Percentage is sooooooooooooooooooooooo important.
    Especially when it's the difference between fourth and fifth on the ladder at the pointy end of the season.
    My ideal is to keep the opposition to a very low score, and have my score in triple figures.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    There is a risk that they fall off a cliff ....
    And?
    No one will cry.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    And?
    No one will cry.
    If Giants hit hard times, any of these things are possible:
    Giants keep going.
    1) Greater drain on AFL funds as propped up from scratch again.
    2) Will be longer and harder than first time to establish a viable presence as fans and sponsors will be gun-shy second time around.

Giants fold.
    1) All the development work out west will stop, or fall to the swans.
    2) Swans will be forced to play a few games at ANZ/Spotless. (Basically reverting to the setup prior to Giants)
    3) Less AFL interest in Sydney.
    4) AFL will now rely on one team in Sydney, and if Sydney start to fail, AFL support in general from grass roots up will suffer.

Giants merge with Swans.
    1) Dont rule this out. AFL is very likely to do something stupid like this.
    2) Now Swans will be the major partner, but will lose part of its current identity.

Using your head instead of your heart, The Swans needs a viable Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If Giants hit hard times, any of these things are possible:
    Giants keep going.
    1) Greater drain on AFL funds as propped up from scratch again.
    2) Will be longer and harder than first time to establish a viable presence as fans and sponsors will be gun-shy second time around.

Giants fold.
    1) All the development work out west will stop, or fall to the swans.
    2) Swans will be forced to play a few games at ANZ/Spotless. (Basically reverting to the setup prior to Giants)
    3) Less AFL interest in Sydney.
    4) AFL will now rely on one team in Sydney, and if Sydney start to fail, AFL support in general from grass roots up will suffer.

Giants merge with Swans.
    1) Dont rule this out. AFL is very likely to do something stupid like this.
    2) Now Swans will be the major partner, but will lose part of its current identity.

Using your head instead of your heart, The Swans needs a viable Giants.
    Giants keep going: 1) no will not happen. 2) Big deal.
    Giants fold: 1) What development work in the west? 2) No, they won't - for the millionth time, our contract with ANZ is OVER. We signed a contract at the SCG for the next 400 years. 3) You mean less GW$ interest in Sydney... anyone who is anyone is already on the swans bandwagon. 4) You're drawing a very long bow there, your arms must be tired. Having only one team in Sydney is NOT a bad thing.

Giants merge with Swans: 1) Seriously, you're just clutching at straws. 2) No, it will never happen.

Use YOUR brain... the Swans don't need the Giants at all. They need us more than we need them.

Sheesh Barry.

I have no intention of arguing over this with you. These are the facts as I see them. You don't need to like it.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    It was reported The training field would be used primarily by the Sydney Swans and the Swans initiated the plan.
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...09-p4zqbi.html
    "The Sydney Swans will reap the benefits of the venture as the partnership provides room to build new facilities and host pre-season training for the Sydney Swans senior side, the Swans NEAFL side and the Swans Academy."
    Sydney Swans plan to build new training facilities at Randwick Racecourse - Ministry of Sport
    State of Play: Part Two - sydneyswans.com.au

Ireland's second part of his "state of play" comments talks a little bit about the impact on training of the reduced access to the SCG.

He says they've been lobbying the state government to upgrade facilities, particularly the Bus Stop Oval, but also says that most of this year's pre-season training will be at Henson Park (which is a bummer for me, because the SCG is a 55 minute walk through Centennial Park for me, which was a good excuse to get out of the house early a few mornings during the summer and walk over to watch a bit of training. He doesn't explain why they need to decamp to Henson Park this pre-season, but maybe it's to allow upgrade work on Bus Stop Oval so that this is in a better shape once the season proper gets underway.

He doesn't mention the development at Randwick Racecourse, though that doesn't mean it isn't in the Swans' sights eventually. I guess it won't be available for the upcoming pre-season (since the development application is still under consideration).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast