Page 128 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 1,525 to 1,536 of 1766

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Tony Armstrong goes from strength to strength.

“The popular ABC News Breakfast sports host, Tony Armstrong, will host Great Australian Stuff (on ABC TV in 2023), which explores the pioneering boomerang, Hills hoist and Victa lawnmower, one day cricket, Sherrin footballs and the humble meat pie.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...e_iOSApp_Other

I’d like to see Tony add to that list the changing attire of AFL goal umpires, aka ‘What Happened to the Wonderful White Lab Coats and Broad-Brimmed Hats?’

My understanding is the white lab coats attire of the goal umpires was derived from Cricket, when Aussie Rules was invented as a means to keep cricketers fit during the winter months. Cricket umpires also evolved into the colour attire with the advent of white ball cricket. I agree this is a good topic for Tony to also explore.

Bring back the white lab coats and broad brim hats (maybe the AFL can do so in a retro round). Mind you I didn't like when the central umpires were dressed in white with black socks as they looked too much like Collingwood!!!

Couldn't help thinking of goal umpire Steve Stevens famous drama queen performance in the 1966 GF!
    AFL - Worst Acting Ever! - YouTube

Ben Ronke, James Bell and Elijah Taylor among ex-Swans to have nominated for the draft.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Ben Ronke, James Bell and Elijah Taylor among ex-Swans to have nominated for the draft.
    I wonder what happened to Matt Ling and Jack Maibaum. I thought they were doing well at VFL level.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Sam Naismith too as well as former academy player Ben Davis

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Couldn't help thinking of goal umpire Steve Stevens famous drama queen performance in the 1966 GF!
    AFL - Worst Acting Ever! - YouTube
    Steve Stevens ? Isn't he Billy Idol's guitarist and songwriter. Man, that is quite a career jump. Impressive.

Regular in the Side
    Jack Maibaum, Matt Ling and Zac Foot have all nominated along with many of our VFL list.

Kevin Dyson appointed head coach of UTS Bats

Given that Ronke and Bell did not get picked up by any other Clubs it will be interesting to see where they end up playing next season.

Sam Naismith has signed to play with Port Melbourne in the VFL next season. He shunned several offers to play in the WAFL. Just heard him interviewed on SEN. Said his body is feeling good after not playing much footy last 2 years and is confident his body will hold up. Hasn't given up on resuming his AFL career. His love of footy has returned after being frustrated on & off the field last 2 years (Covid didn't help when he wasn't allowed to use club's facilities during the AFL lockdowns).

Former Sydney ruckman Sam Naismith joins VFL outfit Port Melbourne - AFL News - Zero Hanger

Veterans List
    Adelaide Channel 7 news apparently running with a story Jordan Dawson to take over captaincy from Rory Sloane, who is coming back from an ACL