Page 195 of 521 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205245295 ... LastLast
Results 2,329 to 2,340 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I will be really devastated if Papley leaves. Of all the players on our list he would be the last that I would expect to want to go. I don't like how we haven't heard from him at all.
    This.
    And I'd much rather have Papley on the list than Daniher. Daniher's arrival would be great news for our rehab and physio staff but that's about it.
    Plus he's a super dodgy set shot. We've already got a tall guy who is a great mark but sprays it from 20m out. We don't need two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    John Ralph On AFL Tonight said that Papley was going to Carlton. He didn’t even discuss - mentioned in passing as in “and so with Papley going to Carlton....”
    Was Ralphy giggling and shoving peanuts up his nose at the time? That's about the cred I give him.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Menzel interview infers he is staying as stevie J said he can’t wait to see Menzel dangerous upfront after a full preseason

Jones i think will move on to accomodate some other options where we need extra dollars in the cap

But I suspect we will play hardball and paps wont be able to go home unless we really want JD to become a swan and we need draft pick options

We have deliberately gone unders in money spent in the Ruck area and JD playing 50% ruck / FF with Reid etc would be such a crazy match up for opposition teams

Our forward rotation is nuts !!!

Buddy
    JD
    Reid
    Heeney
    Lizard
    Menzel
    McCartin
    Hayward
    Papley
    Dawson
    Etc etc

I still think we are looking harder at 2nd 3rd year players at other clubs where they have salary cap problems vs the draft

We need a couple serious 20/21 yr olds that can compliment our squad vs 18yr olds

As mentioned issac cumming or Jye Caldwell could be real possibilities given the gigantic midfield sal cap problems that gws have next year and 2021/22/23

If gws can pre pay some players like Whitfield, Taranto, hopper, kelly, coniglio from the monies of players like Cumming / Caldwell that would help plus they realistically can’t afford cumming and Caldwell 2021 onwards anyway

For gws finding an extra $400k would be like winning the lotto for their sal cap pressures

One serious emerging midfielder and one serious emerging HBF - perfect if we can strike a deal

We need this midfield / flanker depth massively and much better then an 18yrd old that is fringe in our expectations the draft
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 11th September 2019 at 10:02 PM.

Is this just one of those scenarios where one player wants to leave and another wants to come here and that’s why it might happen?

I don’t know why we would let Paps leave if we can make him stay (as per his contract). But maybe the Swans hierarchy only want players who are fully invested and would be prepared to offer him up if they got someone (not something) in return.

It would be nice to have another Daniher playing at the Swans, but our whole team is full of talls as it is (ruckman aside). Having Paps in the team seems the more logical option, but maybe the dream of another star forward is too great for the club to pass up (we do love them).

My guess (and that is all it could possibly be) is that if Daniher recommits to Essendon, which is a reasonable likelihood, then all the Papley to Carlton talk will fade away.

I’m obviously on a different wave length to most of you guys as I would absolutely love Daniher.

He is a gun, All Australian full forward. With upside. They don’t grow on trees.

He can also play a relief 2nd ruck role too.

I trust our medical staff to do a proper due diligence.

Given half our issues this year have been playing too short then I fail to see the issue in adding Daniher.

Would trade pick 4 for him but not worth 4&8.

Joe D is a free agent next year and he has been injured for 18months

These factors change everything Re what is fair now for the bombers

If joe wants to move on this year?
    If Sydney is a true destination?
    If the bombers want to release JD?
    If the bombers have other targets this year and next and can even out their cap with joes $900k pa rumoured ?

Then I think the bombers this year would take a few combo options vs a non desired compo pick next year as a free agent

Zac Jones may want to go to the bombers and he would massively suit their HBF rotation sprint forward style of play

Jones plus a pick 23 to the bombers this year would be better then a compo pick from the afl at pick 15 ?

That is close to fair give circumstances last couple of years for JD

If the Swans really wants JD, just wait an extra year and get him for nothing. I personally think top dollar JD isn't great value, he reminds me of an injury-prone Tippett.

If Paps goes, our small forward cupboard is looking very bare. I wonder if that's why we are seriously looking at Bennell when no one else seems to be?
    On Daniher, I guess if the club sees no real value beyond pick 2, then I could understand them giving up pick 4 for Daniher. But anymore than this would be a bit crazy.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I’m obviously on a different wave length to most of you guys as I would absolutely love Daniher.

He is a gun, All Australian full forward. With upside. They don’t grow on trees.

He can also play a relief 2nd ruck role too.

I trust our medical staff to do a proper due diligence.

Given half our issues this year have been playing too short then I fail to see the issue in adding Daniher.

Would trade pick 4 for him but not worth 4&8.
    Completely agree, although I'd leave the second ruck role to Reid.

We have Papley for 4 yrs and Danniher next year as a free agent if we want him.
    No need to get bent over for either

Hold Paps for sure bu if he wants out it should be Pick 8 plus, its 4yrs ppl

Danniher on top money and 1yr to frew agency is on par with Hannas.
    2nd Round Pick max.

We are supposedly very good in trade week and all im hearing is the above and Bennell.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Is this just one of those scenarios where one player wants to leave and another wants to come here and that’s why it might happen?

I don’t know why we would let Paps leave if we can make him stay (as per his contract). But maybe the Swans hierarchy only want players who are fully invested and would be prepared to offer him up if they got someone (not something) in return.

It would be nice to have another Daniher playing at the Swans, but our whole team is full of talls as it is (ruckman aside). Having Paps in the team seems the more logical option, but maybe the dream of another star forward is too great for the club to pass up (we do love them).

My guess (and that is all it could possibly be) is that if Daniher recommits to Essendon, which is a reasonable likelihood, then all the Papley to Carlton talk will fade away.
    I don't know, I get the sense Papley's team is pushing for this. I suspect the bushfires in Bunyip and the community work he came down to do during the year may have something to do with it.

Eg: Papley calls for Bunyip fires support Papley calls for Bunyip fires support - sydneyswans.com.au and From 1000 kilometres away, Papley’s heart bleeds for Bunyip | Pakenham Officer Star News.

Similarly, I suspect Daniher is pushing the move to Sydney, like Buddy did.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    It would be nice to have another Daniher playing at the Swans, but our whole team is full of talls as it is (ruckman aside).
    Maybe the Swans don't see him as a tall forward, but are going to have another crack at turning a 2 metre forward into a forward/ruckman hybrid? Tippett mark2?

Losing a Papley/Bray would suck most of the joy out of seeing a Daniher return.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 12th September 2019 at 12:00 AM.

I wonder if Dylan Clarke ie Ryan Clarke’s brother is on our radar as a mature bodied emerging inside mid ?

We need more depth ASAP especially with Kennedy retiring end of 2020/21 ?

Trade say pick 58 ? Similar to his brother the year before ?

Dylan Clarke - essendonfc.com.au

21yrs old
    3 pre seasons coming into his 4th pre season like our Jordan Dawson’s and Oriordan’s etc did this year

Dylan Clarke has now played 12 games in Snrs

He was called up for his second game in Round 11, 2019. Clarke lined up on Carlton captain and Brownlow Medal favorite Patrick Cripps, and kept him to the quietest game of his entire career, as one of the best players on the ground.

He played in Essendon's next game in Round 13 against Hawthorn, once more playing a tagging role, holding Hawthorn star Jager O'Meara to 14 disposals to three quarter time and 23 for the match, while gathering 23 posessions himself. He was again one of the best players on the ground, and was recognized with the NAB Rising Star nomination for round 13.