Page 253 of 521 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254255256257263303353 ... LastLast
Results 3,025 to 3,036 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Riley Knight is a pretty good pressure player, works hard and is very consistent. There's no loss having a talk with players who might be looking to move clubs. Daniher excepted, we aren't likely to land a big fish. It should be a good move adding someone like Riley Knight to our list if it only takes a 50+ pick to get him, and a lot of those kind of players do go for that kind of pick.

Most clubs interview a lot more players than they can reasonably get. Just keeping options open.
    Agreed. He's no world beater but he's a handy player. If we were to lose both Jones and Papley, we'd be even lighter on that we already are for players in the 23-28 age bracket that needs to form the core for competitive sides. Maybe we can trade him for James Rose...

I'm taking credit for Lewis Taylor if we draft him but we don't need him if we don't trade Papley. And I'd rather keep Papley.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    I wonder if Essendon lose Fantasia if they might throw their hat in the Papley ring?
    I laughed when i heard a EFC supporter ring Sam Maclure this morning suggesting our pick 5 & Papley for Daniher, to cover them potentially losing Fantasia to PA. Fair to say Sam didn't pay too much attention to that suggestion.

Senior Player
    I would reckon Essendon would suddenly be very interested in Papley if they lost Fantasia.

The whole thing about Daniher is interesting...after attending the B&F you'd think he would state what he wants to do either way.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Sounded keen enough that if Dees or Crows don't do it we will, can't lose, either get Green or blow GWS' points
    Burning GWS's points is the goal here, not drafting Green as such. GWS will surely match the bid because they can do so without difficulty. However, we're assuming here that the picks will be unchanged. By draft day we may no longer have that high pick.

We have bid on Academy players before. We did that in 2016 when we bid on a GCS academy player (Jack Bowes) at pick 10 when Gold Coast had the following pick. This was probably done for comedy reasons more than anything. We then drafted Florent at pick 11.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Im a Carlton supporter but a regular for years on the local footy page here and after living in Sydney since late 87 and being involved at local level have taken a keen interest in the Swans.

From people I know that have some knowledge the Swans and Blues are on the same page and pick 9 is a fair price. It all hinges around Daniher. SOS and the Swans know that trading fairly is the key to long term success - screw people and gloat makes it difficult to trade again.

From an outside perspective your ability to develop new draftees for a few years away from the cauldron of senior footy is a huge reason behind your long term sustained success. I doubt you will stay where you finished this year for long regardless of players who may transfer out.

Id be cautious about Daniher though - If he cant get his body right you will have the disaster we had with Daisy.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Im a Carlton supporter but a regular for years on the local footy page here and after living in Sydney since late 87 and being involved at local level have taken a keen interest in the Swans.

From people I know that have some knowledge the Swans and Blues are on the same page and pick 9 is a fair price. It all hinges around Daniher. SOS and the Swans know that trading fairly is the key to long term success - screw people and gloat makes it difficult to trade again.

From an outside perspective your ability to develop new draftees for a few years away from the cauldron of senior footy is a huge reason behind your long term sustained success. I doubt you will stay where you finished this year for long regardless of players who may transfer out.

Id be cautious about Daniher though - If he cant get his body right you will have the disaster we had with Daisy.
    Excellent post. Remember SOS helped train up LRT before 2005 GF. Should be mutual respect between clubs although I have some bad memories of the bad old Blues pinching players.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I laughed when i heard a EFC supporter ring Sam Maclure this morning suggesting our pick 5 & Papley for Daniher, to cover them potentially losing Fantasia to PA. Fair to say Sam didn't pay too much attention to that suggestion.
    It's probably also fair to say the Bombers fan is on drugs.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    First and second round pick would probably get trade done if it came to that.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Agreed. He's no world beater but he's a handy player. If we were to lose both Jones and Papley, we'd be even lighter on that we already are for players in the 23-28 age bracket that needs to form the core for competitive sides. Maybe we can trade him for James Rose...
    I'm not sure bringing in ordinary players to fill an age void is good policy....Last year it was Clarke and Thurlow, add to those two, Lewis and Knight...

That looks like 4 fringe players to me, adding to an already sizable list of in house fringe players....That's not going to improve things much...

Unless you want to be a solid ordinary mid tier team.

IMO, if we can't attract proven top level talent through trades, then we should keep our powder dry and recruit talent and build.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Was it Stephen Dank? Or what was the name of the guy who called himself, "the weapon"? Dean Robinson?

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I'm not sure bringing in ordinary players to fill an age void is good policy....Last year it was Clarke and Thurlow, add to those two, Lewis and Knight...

That looks like 4 fringe players to me, adding to an already sizable list of in house fringe players....That's not going to improve things much...

Unless you want to be a solid ordinary mid tier team.

IMO, if we can't attract proven top level talent through trades, then we should keep our powder dry and recruit talent and build.
    Agree totally on picking up fringe players. A road to nowhere.

PS Rose is worth nothing on the trade market. I expect him to be delisted post trade week when nobody expresses interest in him and if he is lucky someone might pick him up as a Rookie later on. Otherwise he will be playing in the SAFL next year and probably starring in that lower level competition.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk