Page 3 of 521 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

I’m yet to be convinced about our midfield. They don’t have the runs on the board yet, hoping they will by the end of 2019.

This can change quickly and, like you, I hope it improves. Sporting News rated the mid-fields heading in to 2018: Geelong, Sydney, Crows, Tigers, and GWS were the top 5. Collingwood were 7th and West Coast didn't make the top 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I’m yet to be convinced about our midfield. They don’t have the runs on the board yet, hoping they will by the end of 2019.
    Agree. We need further improvement from Hewitt, Florent and Jones. Heeney will be one to really watch. If he plays more midfield minutes he has the potential to rapidly become one of the elite midfielders in the game. Same with Mills if he does go to the midfield. Kennedy and Parker will be reliable as usual.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I cant agree with this point , you dont look after the mercenary , in any well run organisation you look after those who are loyal to you and who perform. Academy players shouldn't be disadvantaged in their earning capacity because they want to play for the swans, they should be paid as well as anyone else of their ability. That further inspires loyalty and sets the precedent for your culture. If you set this culture in place, it further inspires better players through the academy program as they know they will be looked after.

The taking unders thing is a myth to me. For higher profile players , Melbourne clubs provide much more opportunity for external earning capacity both during and after their time in the club so its much easier in my view to convince a player to take unders to stay at a club where such opportunities are more likely to arise.
    I wasn't suggesting that we pay the academy kids unders, moreso that we don't pay them overs. Paying overs before they've earnt it poses its own problems as we've seen with Tom Mitchell, as the next time they negotiate a contract they'll expect an increase in $$$ regardless of whether they're worth it.

As for looking after mercenaries, that's exactly what we have done, sometimes it pays off (Buddy), some times it doesn't (Tippett).

I agree that Melbourne based clubs have additional advantages for opportunities in the media that the Swans don't, but there's still plenty of other ways to earn outside of the cap, there's been plenty of jobs for boys in the corporate sector for our lads

Fair enough but you also shouldn't confuse paying overs for potential v paying overs because they are academy.

All clubs often pay overs on the potential someone offers. Lets face it many high draft picks over the journey would have been paid overs on the promise they provide (even after they have been relatively ordinary at the club that initially took them) rather than a pure analysis of their form at the time. Its not a problem that the swans face alone, its just the way any market works .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Fair enough but you also shouldn't confuse paying overs for potential v paying overs because they are academy.

All clubs often pay overs on the potential someone offers. Lets face it many high draft picks over the journey would have been paid overs on the promise they provide (even after they have been relatively ordinary at the club that initially took them) rather than a pure analysis of their form at the time. Its not a problem that the swans face alone, its just the way any market works .
    Tom Boyd come on down !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Tom Boyd come on down !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depends how much you consider a premiership worth. Tom Boyd has done nothing for almost every other game except the game that shall not be named in 2016

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Depends how much you consider a premiership worth. Tom Boyd has done nothing for almost every other game except the game that shall not be named in 2016
    Lucky Tom Boyd got a 7 year deal @ a mill/year because it's looking like his next contract might be slightly more modest. Still steaming about 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    The list changes last year gave us salary cap space so we can now set a clear course for the future without the restrictions of immediately previous seasons - tick

The recruiting has been of specific type players to make our squad suit the modern and constantly evolving game - tick

We've gone from one of the oldest to one of the youngest lists and remained competitive - tick

We've had some stunning success recently with players recruited out in the twilight zone of the drafts, Papley, Ronke, Aliir, McCartin - tick

The list no longer contains players who you knew never had ceilings higher than fringe 22 - tick

Players likely to retire this year are mainly now lesser contributors and can be replaced internally. Their retirement frees up more cap - tick

The list has all positions covered IMO, future changes will only strengthen the list - tick

We are in a position to attract a significant FA if we desire, unlike previously - tick

Can't remember when I was this bullish about the future, we have some stars in the making and even the rookies look highly likely types but obviously development players. So like someone else said, there's likely to be less discussion amongst ourselves this year on list management because the hard yards were put in previous couple of years.
    The elements are almost all there for us to be a very fine football team in the near future. Maybe not 2019, maybe not 2020, but if it all falls into place we will in it up to our necks. It will need a lot of players to fulfill their potential, but I feel we are rebuilding nicely to say the least. 2019 might be up and down like 2018 was I feel, but there is a lot to like about the direction we are taking.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Lucky Tom Boyd got a 7 year deal @ a mill/year because it's looking like his next contract might be slightly more modest. Still steaming about 2016!
    It's one thing to lose a GF because your team wasn't good enough on the day but to lose it due to incompetent or corrupt umpiring is something I'll never get over. I lost a lot of interest in the game that day.

Veterans List
    With Maibaum being put on the long term injury list, the Swans are on the lookout for a replacement.

Sydney makes 11th hour bid to fill final list spot - AFL.com.au

They're flying in McLarty and McLean to check them out.....

PS: I see this has already been mentioned in the Maibaum thread.....
    Last edited by stevoswan; 7th March 2019 at 04:39 PM.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    With Maibaum being put on the long term injury list, the Swans are on the lookout for a replacement.

Sydney makes 11th hour bid to fill final list spot - AFL.com.au

They're flying in McLarty and McLean to check them out.....

PS: I see this has already been mentioned in the Maibaum thread.....
    Might as well give one of them a shot. Likely to be a depth player but might turn into something more