Page 97 of 521 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,153 to 1,164 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Here's a very handy round up of who's in the market: What are they worth? Kelly, Coniglio, Martin and all the top trade targets - AFL.com.au.

Quite a few worth considering including Francis and Keath as KPD types, and various inside mids including Brayden Sier.

They suggest Zak Jones is worth only mid second round pick. If that is the case I think he's worth more to us and we should not trade him. However maybe the decision is not in our hands. I'll be sorry to see him leave for a second round pick. That's less than we paid for him before investing years of development with him just coming into his prime. Plus his age/experience profile is exactly the type that are a bit thin on the ground for us at the moment and we need to hang on to.

- - - Updated - - -

Jinx!
    Right on. Jones is trade for a first round pick or re-sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree that what I am proposing is continuing with a Sinclair type ruckman at stoppages. I also agree that it hasn't worked, yet. We don't have all the pieces in place yet, or developed enough, to change from a stoppage to a turnover team, more in line with Richmond of WB.

I'm suggesting that we should stop chasing a player that would enable us to compete against Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy, and accept that the ruck is not our strong point. We should rather turn our attention to our developing strengths, which will be a game based on pressure and speed of ball movement. We also need to get back to where we once were in contested possession, which is a separate issue from the ruckman role, but obviously has a big impact on how we do at stoppages.

We stopped being a good stoppage team after Tippett went down in 2016. We haven't been able to resolve our ruck deficiency in the 3 years since and are placing our hopes on a ruckman who hasn't played in 2 years and has only proven that he's injury prone. Our chances of success following this low probability pathway are not good.
    I do agree that the utility of chasing a top line ruckman is not as beneficial as a top line midfielder or two but freeing up Knoll , Cameron and Naismith would give us little extra salary space and while it may free up spots , the retirement of McVeigh, Jack , Grundy and possibly Smith will do far more in this regard.

If you consider that those four will go and it is likely two or three of the lower levels /rookies will also be delisted , it wont really hurt our list to keep some faith in Naismith and one of Knoll or Cameron at little cost. A fit Naismith rotating with a fit Sinclair is a very compelling paring in my view but as we have seen the likelihood of both on the park at the same time is low so you need either McLean, Knoll, Cameron or Amartey to come good soon. We could probably lose one of them at the end of the year but I think its a little early to lock in McLean and get rid of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Right on. Jones is trade for a first round pick or re-sign.
    If Jones does decide he wants a trade back to Vic, we should be demanding for a player who can slot straight into our best 22. For example, Jones for Sier (plus a swap of picks).
    We have a very young, talented list already, and a (likely) Top 5 draft pick to come. We should be targeting ready made players.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Aiden Bonar, ressie watchers might be able to tell us more about his NEAFL form which doesn't appear good enough to get a senior gig, even with a long injury list. Or have I missed him playing seniors while I've been away on holidays?
    Seen him plenty in the neafl. Not a standout

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    If Jones does decide he wants a trade back to Vic, we should be demanding for a player who can slot straight into our best 22. For example, Jones for Sier (plus a swap of picks).
    We have a very young, talented list already, and a (likely) Top 5 draft pick to come. We should be targeting ready made players.
    Jones better than Sier. Quicker and more dynamic. Need his speed. If traded need a like for like somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    No arguments about Rampe, what a brilliant player. But imagine if we could let him off the leash and essentially allow him to focus on moving the ball out of defence in a Malceski like role? I notice Tomlinson is available and has at times been out of the GWS team this year. We should try and get him.
    Moving Rampe to the midfield or into the spare backman role was on the coaches wish list a few years ago but they were never able to execute it due to our shortage of premium defenders and his importance. It looks like he'll now see his career out in his present position.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Jones better than Sier. Quicker and more dynamic. Need his speed. If traded need a like for like somehow.
    We are screaming out for someone like Clayton Oliver and Melbourne are screaming out for someone like Jones. I don't want to lose Jones but an exchange of those two players in a trade would seem to be a win-win.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    We are screaming out for someone like Clayton Oliver and Melbourne are screaming out for someone like Jones. I don't want to lose Jones but an exchange of those two players in a trade would seem to be a win-win.
    I'd take Oliver in a heartbeat for Jones. Probably throw in a later draft pick too to sweeten the deal.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I'd take Oliver in a heartbeat for Jones. Probably throw in a later draft pick too to sweeten the deal.
    Not even that late. Jones + early second round.

Senior Player
    Lol

We could offer Jones and our top 5 pick and Melbourne still probably wouldn't take it

Veterans List
    Carlton and Saints win, still have pick 4.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Carlton and Saints win, still have pick 4.
    We need to lose some percentage and get Carlton and Melbourne above us on the ladder. Our problem is that Melbourne is so pathetic, despite of their last, that they couldn't win a two up contest.

Anderson and Rowell are streets ahead of the other draftees. Picks 3 and beyond are essentially very weak compared to other years. If you're going to bottom out, do it properly and maximise your opportunity.