Page 119 of 521 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,417 to 1,428 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think you are being a bit harsh on Tippett. He actually had a few very good years with us, and was instrumental in us making the 2014 GF.
    Unfortunetly the game turned away from the Tippett types. When we got him FF/rucks were worth their weight in gold. But a year in, the rules and tactics of coaches had changed to favour the genuine ruckman.
    We chose to keep renewing his contracts so the club thought it was getting value for money.

Of the glamour recruits, this is the order of greatness:
    Bazza - Delivered a flag. Cant beat that.
    Plugger - Made AFL acceptable in Sydney.
    Buddy - Great off-field, but no flag is disappointing.
    Tippett - as above.
    Barry Hall is one of the Swans all time great players. His record with us in the years 2003-2006 was remarkable. Won as many games off his own boot as Buddy. Vastly underrated.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Barry Hall is one of the Swans all time great players. His record with us in the years 2003-2006 was remarkable. Won as many games off his own boot as Buddy. Vastly underrated.
    Yes, we do tend to forget a little about just how good Barry was for us. Possibly his "crimes & misdemeanours" has sullied his memory
    a bit I suppose. But in that four year period, he kicked 64, 74, 80 & 78 goals. Those sort of totals put you in the $1M plus salary
    club these days. Even in his later years with us, and playing less games, he was still kicking in the mid 40s each year. Then he went
    off and kicked 80 in his first year at the Dogs. I always remember a game against Brisbane where we behind the entire game except for
    when Barry kicked a goal after the siren to give us the win. He could certainly play.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, we do tend to forget a little about just how good Barry was for us. Possibly his "crimes & misdemeanours" has sullied his memory
    a bit I suppose. But in that four year period, he kicked 64, 74, 80 & 78 goals. Those sort of totals put you in the $1M plus salary
    club these days. Even in his later years with us, and playing less games, he was still kicking in the mid 40s each year. Then he went
    off and kicked 80 in his first year at the Dogs. I always remember a game against Brisbane where we behind the entire game except for
    when Barry kicked a goal after the siren to give us the win. He could certainly play.
    And he was often crucified by the umps. Remember the Brisbane game well. At one stage, he was the best player in the comp I reckon.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    And that was the year we broke the drought. I sometimes go through the four games: Brisbane, Nicky D vs Geelong, Baz vs St Kilda, GF. Team efforts of course, with outstanding players.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Kennedy turns 32 next year

Is everyone else guessing we won’t offer Kennedy beyond 2020 ?

If that is the case I wonder if kennedy has the passion like a former captain Luke Hodge to keep playing football for another year or two beyond 2020

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    And that was the year we broke the drought. I sometimes go through the four games: Brisbane, Nicky D vs Geelong, Baz vs St Kilda, GF. Team efforts of course, with outstanding players.
    Nicky D vs Geelong. One of the best solo efforts I've ever seen in the history of the game. He effectively got us the premiership off his own boot; absolutely freakish. I still love watching that game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Nicky D vs Geelong. One of the best solo efforts I've ever seen in the history of the game. He effectively got us the premiership off his own boot; absolutely freakish. I still love watching that game.
    Absolutely. We had only kicked three goals by three-quarter time, then Nick kicks four himself in the last quarter. I got into a huge
    barny with the people (Swans supporters) sitting in front of us who were complaining I was "too loud" during that game. If you
    can't get pumped about what Davis did that game, you aren't alive. Great memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

If that is the case I wonder if kennedy has the passion like a former captain Luke Hodge to keep playing football for another year or two beyond 2020
    I think he could benefit from a move to the forward line, kinda like Parker, spending less minutes in the middle and more forward. He's a good size and set shot

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

I wondered if he’s the sort of player the Gold Coast need?

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I think he could benefit from a move to the forward line, kinda like Parker, spending less minutes in the middle and more forward. He's a good size and set shot
    I remember I suggested this a while back and had fellow posters shoot it down in the context that he's an out and out midfielder.
    I can see this point of view but if he can't regain his dominance inside, I can't see the club offering him another contract beyond this one unless he re- invents himself (and it won't be as a defender!).

Kennedy definately is owed 2 yrs after 9 yrs of heavy lifting. Last slow mid we got rid of won a brownlow, put the right pieces around him and he has a role.

Forget what "young" Gold Coast need we are younger. Heaps of examples of teams going too hard with retiring too many at once

Veterans List
    Absolutely. We had only kicked three goals by three-quarter time, then Nick kicks four himself in the last quarter. I got into a huge
    barny with the people (Swans supporters) sitting in front of us who were complaining I was "too loud" during that game. If you
    can't get pumped about what Davis did that game, you aren't alive. Great memories!
    Hmmm they would have been complaining a lot in that last quarter because the noise was unbelievable!