Page 29 of 521 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Reckon we'll get a gun midfielder with pick 2.

We hold St.Kilda's second pick so nice to see that moving in the right direction, into the 20s now and getting higher.

All good.

Senior Player
    Being nice to someone who didn’t want to play for us isn’t a good reason regardless of who his dad ior brother is and sets a precedent for other draftees who don’t want to leave their mummy in Melbourne

They now know if they cry homesick Swans won’t draft them

What can we expect to get if we were to trade Buddy?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by tlock View Post
    Nothing because he's not going anywhere, loves it in Sydney, as does his wife. He has become the public face of the club, worth more to us off field than on probably!

Quote Originally Posted by tlock View Post
    A wooden spoon.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Overall the Swans do very well recruiting - but they seem to have had quite a bit of poor luck with very high draft picks, for one reason or another O'Keefe 06, Veszpremi 07, Lewis Johnston 08, Rohan/Jetta 09, Lamb 10, Mitchell 11 all failed to live up to the public expectations at the Swans.
    Yet at the same time (and compensating for this anomaly) the Swans have frequently unearthed fantastic players from further down the main draft and form the rookie drafts.

Just a Saturday arvo thought bubble (and I know the reasons are various) - but is there something in the Swans blue collar Bloods ethos that encourages many recruits, but is less palatable to the much lauded "hot-house flowers" that inhabit the higher reaches of the national draft?
    I think that the first round picks often have been able to rely on their natural ability and not had to work as hard as lower picks to achieve what they wanted. This transitions later into work ethic.

Clarkson: 'We're a middle of the road side' - AFL.com.au

Interesting chat by Clarko re methodology vs players

We have Clarko being open that they have traditionally been an outside team but recognising that the inside teams like Melb got the better of them last night

Yet he was disappointed by the lack of polish by his team

It reminded me of horse just like Clarko both in a similar situation of finding the right mix between an evolving game plan that is more flexible plus finding the next batch of players to execute

Overall the Swans do very well recruiting - but they seem to have had quite a bit of poor luck with very high draft picks, for one reason or another O'Keefe 06, Veszpremi 07, Lewis Johnston 08, Rohan/Jetta 09, Lamb 10, Mitchell 11 all failed to live up to the public expectations at the Swans.
    Yet at the same time (and compensating for this anomaly) the Swans have frequently unearthed fantastic players from further down the main draft and form the rookie drafts.

Just a Saturday arvo thought bubble (and I know the reasons are various) - but is there something in the Swans blue collar Bloods ethos that encourages many recruits, but is less palatable to the much lauded "hot-house flowers" that inhabit the higher reaches of the national draft?
    I don't think Mitchell failed to live up to expectations. He left. He was a player who was very much a first rounder for us. I think he could have been played a season before they played him. He was sensational in his last season for us and has carried on that form at Hawks

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin

I would be surprised if the Swans' track record is significantly worse than that across the whole league. While players taken in the first handful of picks (top 5, top 10 in some years) are usually safe picks (injuries aside), I reckon the success rate drops off quite rapidly. So while the hit rate with picks 11-20 are better than any other ten pick range, it isn't by as much as you might think.

Then it becomes a numbers game. We remember the late ND picks and rookie picks who go onto to become senior players - some of them very good senior players. But the club (and any other club) churns through a high number of them to find those gems. In any year, we might have one pick in the teens, maybe one if the late 20s or 30s, but then draft another 5 or 6 (or even more players) via the late ND rounds and rookie draft. We then churn those list spots, uncovering gems but probably only at a hit rate of 25% or thereabouts.

That said, I don't disagree with the suggestion that players taken lower in the draft have typically had to work harder than the blue-chip players just to get on a list. So long as they have a couple of strengths to work around and get a little luck in the sense of an opportunity opening up at the right time, hard work and determination will make up for deficiencies. And a huge part of being a decent AFL player is hard work and determination, not flashy skills.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Buddy has become the public face of the club, worth more to us off field than on probably!
    Now that is a sentence which is open to interpretation.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Reckon we'll get a gun midfielder with pick 2.
    Reckon we can get a better one with pick 1.

If we thought there was some hope left for this season, I think after last night's loss to the lions put paid to that. The coaching staff need to look to the future, if for nothing else, to show the fans that they are doing something for the future. Playing Jack is not preparing for the future, nor is playing guys who clearly are not AFL standard like Clarke and Fox. Let's not hesitate trying guys in positions that they aren't playing currently but have the skill set and physical attributes to succeed in. Playing one extra in defence for long periods, attempting to stem the bleeding, is not working and negative. The coaching team needs to put the responsibility on players to take ownership of their opponents and win the one on one's (which we are losing all the time). Make it clear that it is rebuilding time and that the club is not afraid to make tough decisions.