Page 31 of 521 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    He was referring to the national draft, not our academy....Therefore a bottom 2 finish, may be that elusive cloud with a silver lining...

I sincerely hope the club doesn't have that scenario as it's goal....

Recent history shows, clubs that go down that dubious path, fail more often than they succeed...One player does not make a successful club....Our club should surely recognise that.
    I am sure they do.

Do you think the team is tanking because they think otherwise? Or just not very good at the moment?

But if Roos' reference was to next year's draft (not this year's), he was almost certainly referring to academy prospects - in all likelihood the two that Sari identified in the post above yours.

We're timing our down year beautifully to not coincide with having high draft picks come through the Academy. Hopefully by the time Gulden and co come through we'll have bounced back up the ladder a bit and we'll be enjoying early access to our local talent. 😄

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    But if Roos' reference was to next year's draft (not this year's), he was almost certainly referring to academy prospects - in all likelihood the two that Sari identified in the post above yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by sahi View Post
    Gulden and Campbell in next year's draft?
    Thanks Sahi & Liz. Gulden and Campbell are most likely the 2 good (academy) players Roos was referring to after reading Baskins comprehensive update in the Academy thread, both being named as our best in last Saturday's game at Sandringham.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    So I think the short answer is "additional service agreements"
    I just realised the implications of that, vis a vis Buddy.

Even without including his ASA money (and I think it'd be safe to assume he'd be doing quite well there) - he'd certainly have to be being paid by the club alone 5 or 6 times more than the average Swans player . . . .
    "Clucking Bell" as Quasimodo's chicken might say.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 7th May 2019 at 10:58 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Just a thought on drafting... The Bulldogs have done some good drafting in recent years, especially with the first round picks. One example is plucking Bontempelli at pick 4, much earlier than he had been projected. Another example is with Aaron Naughton.

What pleases me about this is that we snaffled one of their prime recruiters: Simon Dalyrmple. Now he's working for us and hopefully he has helped us mine some gems with Rowbottom and McInerney, both of whom we took much earlier than expected, and more in the seasons and drafts to come. :-)

Just a thought on drafting... The Bulldogs have done some good drafting in recent years, especially with the first round picks. One example is plucking Bontempelli at pick 4, much earlier than he had been projected. Another example is with Aaron Naughton.

What pleases me about this is that we snaffled one of their prime recruiters: Simon Dalrymple. Now he's working for us and hopefully he has helped us mine some gems with Rowbottom and McInerney, both of whom we took much earlier than expected, and more in the seasons and drafts to come. :-)

For all those bleating about Gary Rohan's good form; we have Hayward to take his role...and he is doing very nicely too.

Not fussed about Rohan, he has played as good for us just not consistently. We did give him more than enough time to shine

Whole situation is magnified cos all of a sudden Ronke looks like he has never played footy

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Thanks Sahi & Liz. Gulden and Campbell are most likely the 2 good (academy) players Roos was referring to after reading Baskins comprehensive update in the Academy thread, both being named as our best in last Saturday's game at Sandringham.
    Did the VFL change the rules so that you can only match one bid in the first round?

Just been reading the ESPN top 20 draft picks write up by Chris Doerre (Knightmare), must say I'm drooling about the very top picks
    Last edited by 707; 7th May 2019 at 05:48 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Did the VFL change the rules so that you can only match one bid in the first round?

Just been reading the ESPN top 20 draft picks write up by Chris Doerre (Knightmare), must say I'm drooling about the very top picks
    Only if you finish top 4. Below that I believe you can still match more than one first round bid (though they might change the rules for us). It's premature to be thinking both Campbell and Gulden could be first round picks. There's still a long way to go before they are drafted, and while both look talented, I don't think they are the clear standouts that Blakey was, even at age 17. That's in part because they are playing in a more even team than Blakey got to play in.

Their size is factor too. Gulden is listed at 173cm and Campbell at 179cm at the moment. Of course, they might still grow a bit given their ages. And even Gulden is already tall enough if he's good enough - he has a few cms on Daniel or Brent Harvey. But the small players do tend to get discounted a bit at the draft table unless they are absolutely outstanding. While I am sure there are a few examples, off the top of my head I'm struggling to think of many players of Gulden's current height who've been drafted in the top ten (or even the first round), at least in recent seasons with a playing population trending towards being taller. Devon Smith, maybe?

Doerre can be a useful source of information but he has a tendency to over-enthuse about some players, particularly those he sets his heart on early. For example, I've read him describe Tom Green (a Giants academy player) as having a ceiling of Patrick Cripps and a floor of Josh Kennedy. To suggest that the worst a (yet undrafted and thus tested at the elite level) player is destined for at least as good a career as a player with JPK's footballing credentials (multiple B&Fs and AA selections, proven big time finals player, second in the Brownlow one year and consistently a high poller in other years) strikes me as daft.

Might be a better option than Dunkley at the mid season draft: Who wants a lightning-quick 200cm key defender? - AFL.com.au

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Might be a better option than Dunkley at the mid season draft: Who wants a lightning-quick 200cm key defender? - AFL.com.au

Yes its got me scratching my head, an overager averaging 19 possessions a game in the TAC doesn't scream draft me

Would he have any attention with that last name? (I don't know the answer, draft watchers may be able to elaborate)