Page 415 of 521 FirstFirst ... 315365405411412413414415416417418419425465515 ... LastLast
Results 4,969 to 4,980 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I get some of the angst, but not all of it. I get last year's recruits were underwhelming (though Clarke may find a role).

A week ago, everyone was freaking out about McCartin being moved down back. He may still be, but it's a weakness for us regardless and we'll have got Brand on the cheap so if he works, great; if not, no big deal.

The Gray one I really like though. Most good sides have a mix of three or four small players who rotate between the forward line and midfield. We now have at least Papley, Gray, Taylor and Ronke with some zip and pace - something we otherwise lack badly. No, he's not a Charlie Cameron or even a Paps, but he's a good player who takes the game on and kicks goals. So is Taylor. And that's something our side badly needs.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    The money being quoted for Gray is a bit bonkers ($2m over 3 years).
    So I've been watching the World Series, and Patrick Corbin the middle innings reliever (pitcher) signed a six year deal
    with the Washington Nationals earlier this year for 205 million dollars. This bloke comes on after the starting pitcher
    gets tired, throws 20 or 30 pitches, and then sits down for the rest of the game. Now that is bonkers.

Longmire made the following comment earlier:

"However I struggle to see how Papley, Taylor and Gray all slot into the same side (even Hayward, noting he's more of a medium forward). One of them will have to play substantial midfield minutes consistently. I think it'll be borderline impossible for Ronke to get a game next year."

This is a really interesting group of players to recruit and to me suggests a change in our game plan in 2020. It looks like they have targeted some pacy guys who can add to scoring power but can also help apply a "Richmond like" forward pressure game. Speedy guys applying loads of forward pressure in a effort to lock it in there with the aim of providing repeat entries. One or two of these players will also take turns in the midfield to hopefully improve our woeful clearance numbers of the past two seasons. I've got no doubt they Swans will target their future midfield class in the draft. They may also use a late pick on another ruckman.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    The Sam Gray highlights reel is pretty good. The mark he takes around the one minute mark is a ripper!

Welcome Sam Gray - sydneyswans.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Longmire made the following comment earlier:

"However I struggle to see how Papley, Taylor and Gray all slot into the same side (even Hayward, noting he's more of a medium forward). One of them will have to play substantial midfield minutes consistently. I think it'll be borderline impossible for Ronke to get a game next year."

This is a really interesting group of players to recruit and to me suggests a change in our game plan in 2020. It looks like they have targeted some pacy guys who can add to scoring power but can also help apply a "Richmond like" forward pressure game. Speedy guys applying loads of forward pressure in a effort to lock it in there with the aim of providing repeat entries. One or two of these players will also take turns in the midfield to hopefully improve our woeful clearance numbers of the past two seasons. I've got no doubt they Swans will target their future midfield class in the draft. They may also use a late pick on another ruckman.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I agree. Imagine if Brand improves to become our heir to Reg? It's certainly not impossible and we do have a good track record of finding KPD from seemingly nowhere.

With Brand potentially locking down a defensive position, it could free Rampe to run more off half back and Mills into the midfield.

Likewise, Heeney and Papley potentially will play more midfield with the addition of Gray and Squizzy.

Effectively for each trade that comes off, we add a midfielder. It's kinda the second go at what we were trying to do last year with Menzel, Clarke and Thurlow. I'm optimistic that these 3 will make more of an impact.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Brisbane are a professional outfit, so why would they delist Taylor if he was any good?

The same with Hawthorn, why would they delist Brand if he was any good?
    I understand people being underwhelmed, but Brisbane's decision doesn't mean Taylor is no good. Brisbane have a surfeit of excellent small forwards - Cameron, Raynor, McCarthy, Christensen, Cox, with Keays tearing up the NEAFL. They have several big names coming out of contract next year, so have to move on some of their most expensive NEAFL players. So why not in a position where they have plenty of depth?
    I remember Craig Bolton not being good enough to get a game in their 1sts - so I remain hopeful.

But Hawthorn - just don't know. They appear to have less KPD depth than most. Let's hope they have made a terrible mistake.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    We do not seem to be addressing our main need as I see it, inside midfielders who can extract the ball. Would like to see us take a serious look at Luke Partington.
    Completely agree with this. Anyone we pick in the ND is unlikely to be playing many midfield minutes this year. Partington may not have a very high ceiling, but the reigning Margery medallist has got to be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post

But Hawthorn - just don't know. They appear to have less KPD depth than most. Let's hope they have made a terrible mistake.
    I checked the hawthorn BF board on brand and the vibe was mixed but general feeling was he could do well at swans. His highlights reel is pretty good and has a good size. A player we needed structurally even if his ceiling isn't too high.

I love our recruiting. I have fond memories of Schnieder and Buchanan. There was a great thread on RWO about lord of the rings...

Anyway, Longmire's favourite beef in 2019 was the inability to have runners on the ground. I reckon he's filling a on 'age hole' in our list and building a stronger ability to rotate through our midfield and forward line.

Hawks have backed the two young Irishman Glass and Nash over Brand plus they already have other talls and med talls in Sicily, Frawley, Stratton, O’Brien, Ross which makes 7 plus Howe if needed to go back when injuries strike

Let’s see how it goes Re Brand
    Good depth signing only at this stage given AA, Rampe, Dawson, Melican and mcCartin my preference as talls down back - Thurlow also played KPD in some of his NEAFL footy

Brand is a 26yr old in april next year and only 35ish snr games since 2013.......lots of improvement needed for him to make a significant difference in our backline. He was a forward prior to joining the hawks, so a little flexible and quite good lateral movement for a tall 198cm

—/

Sam gray smart signing for our forward pocket depth at no cost except for his contract .........but I would have loved a true 22/25yr old experienced midfielder to replace Jones

If we give up jones for pick 32 why can’t we get back / trade a player similar or better for our pick 25 or 32 to help our midfield significantly!

Hawks just acquired Sam Frost from Melbourne too. I'm intrigued by Brand because Swans don't normally bring in mature aged players without having a role in the 22 for them to play.

I'd say he's competing with Melican for the lockdown role formerly played by Reg. Rampe isn't tall enough to really play it but has been doing it by default. AA is an interceptor so in fact other than Brand/Maibaum it's Melican or bust.

Who was available with our pick 25 /32 that we missed out on?

They seem like good signings. I think defence is one of our weaknesses. Rampe is our best defender but can sometimes be outsized by Hawkins type of players. Aliir seems better playing looser so he can intercept rather than focus on locking down. So it is good to have another experienced defensive option. I am not sure if we will look to pick up another defender in the draft or someone like Parks/Rayner as a cat B rookie or Maibaum in the rookie draft for more depth.

Grey seems like someone who can play as a mobile running midfielder or as a half forward. And he was playing regularly for Port Adelaide.