Page 86 of 521 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,032 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Regular in the Side
    The draft that still has me spewing is not taking Josh Dunkley. Letting Newman go was also a big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    The draft that still has me spewing is not taking Josh Dunkley. Letting Newman go was also a big mistake.
    We have made some colossal trade and draft blunders over the last few years.
    Dont forget Mitchell.

This has manifested itself to us finding ourselves in 13th spot.

Veterans List
    Petracca is over rated, Viney is a F/S and his father is still at the Dees so he's not moving. Brayshaw could be an early retirement candidate with concussions so only leaves Oliver and that standard of player rarely gets traded.

Sorry, but move on to the next possible trade elsewhere.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We have made some colossal trade and draft blunders over the last few years.
    Dont forget Mitchell.

This has manifested itself to us finding ourselves in 13th spot.
    They are only 'blunders' with the benefit of hindsight.....something you're pretty good at Barry.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    They are only 'blunders' with the benefit of hindsight.....something you're pretty good at Barry.
    If you go back and read posts around the periods of the Mitchell trade and Dunkley non-selection you'll find plenty on who thought both moves were mistakes

Mitchell was a blunder with the benefit of hindsight but a difficult decision at the time.

Newman not a blunder - good player but it seemed he was not going to get as much opportunity with us (before Macca, Smith and Reg went down). Means that COR got his chance and the door is wider open for Stoddart & co.

Dunkley absolutely not a blunder. He only agreed to nominate us as father-son on the basis that we would only match a bid if he was going to be forced out of Victoria. We were bound by our agreement and our word. If you're saying that we should have just bid on him before the Bulldogs in the open draft then you might as well say we should have bid on Fyfe before Rohan or Jetta in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Petracca is over rated, Viney is a F/S and his father is still at the Dees so he's not moving. Brayshaw could be an early retirement candidate with concussions so only leaves Oliver and that standard of player rarely gets traded.

Sorry, but move on to the next possible trade elsewhere.
    Thanks for your thoughts 707. It's true that Brayshaw and Petracca are not elite (despite being super high draft picks) and come with baggage/issues but that is why they might be gettable for somewhere around that price. I'd prefer to have either one of them to Jones. I suspect it would be hard (although not necessarily impossible) to winkle Angus out of Melbourne because, even though both his brothers were prepared to go to WA (where they have some family connections) they are also part of the Melbourne establishment. Agree that it is extremely hard to see us getting Viney or Oliver for the reasons you specify.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    So recruiters are supposed to be 'psychic' are they? No club has a crystal ball.....
    If you analyse what we have done with rucks in the last 6-12 months there doesn't seem to be any real strategy, just a scattergun approach

Sinclair - tick, however he's rucked solo all last season and this one, its not a stretch to suggest he was a reasonably high risk of missing some games this year

Naismith - hasn't played since the beginning of last season after a knee reco, before this injury his durability was extremely poor. He was always a massive chance to miss a chunk of this season, and the way its looking I doubt he'll play at senior level at all

Cameron - its unfortunate that he's injured while there's a vacant spot, but the coach clearly doesn't rate him anyway and i'd be astounded if he's not rucking at another AFL club next year

McClean - He's neither a ruckman or a forward. We are stocked with key forwards so what was the thought process behind selecting him in the pre-season? You could argue that he was injured when Sinclair first went down, but he's back now and doesn't appear to be in the conversation for selection

Knoll - Selected as a mature aged back up in June in case of emergency. I'm pretty sure we are at emergency stations now and we're being told he's not ready. Is he a long term prospect? If so, why wasn't he selected in November?

So, in summary we have 1 senior ruckman, 1 crock, and 3 rookies who the match committee don't rate as AFL standard currently.

A crystal ball wasn't required to guess that we might have ended up in the current situation.

Didn’t Brayshaw finish top 3 in the Brownlow last year? Reckon he’d be a very handy pickup but he re-signed last year.

Jones is out of contract

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Mitchell was a blunder with the benefit of hindsight but a difficult decision at the time.

Newman not a blunder - good player but it seemed he was not going to get as much opportunity with us (before Macca, Smith and Reg went down). Means that COR got his chance and the door is wider open for Stoddart & co.

Dunkley absolutely not a blunder. He only agreed to nominate us as father-son on the basis that we would only match a bid if he was going to be forced out of Victoria. We were bound by our agreement and our word. If you're saying that we should have just bid on him before the Bulldogs in the open draft then you might as well say we should have bid on Fyfe before Rohan or Jetta in 2009.
    Newman is a better AFL player than COR and Stoddart period. That may change in the future but he wasn't keeping them out of the team this year.

As for Dunkley, we either should have let him nominate as a F/S on the basis we'd be drafting him, or let him take his chances in the open draft. In the end we participated in draft tampering to do a favour to someone we owed nothing to.

Not sure how Fyfe is relevant to any of this. We didn't have to bid on Dunkley at all, once Bulldogs nominated him we simply had to match the bid, and we had the picks to do it comfortably. Fyfe wasn't tied to Fremantle

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/swa...15-p527d2.html

McHack is injured again.
    We won't see him play in the red & whites again, me thinks.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I think overall we haven't made many draft or trade blunders. Our production rate from the draft since 2012 has been nearly 4 quality AFL per annum, which must be near the best in the league, although I haven't done any analysis on clubs other than the Swans.

Let's not forget that if we took Dunkley we would have had to go into a points deficit for the 2016 draft (not as caj23 suggests, as our remaining picks 51 and 56 would not suffice to match the bid on Dunkley), the effects of which are hard to measure, including the knock on effects regarding the Tom Mitchell trade. We would also have likely missed out on Dawson, since our next pick would have been at the end of that draft and we took Leonardis ahead of Dawson anyway, although we don't know if either would have been available at our next pick..

I was a big fan of Newman, but I still think trading him was the right move, for both the Swans and Newman. We just recruited 2 speedy left footers with great speed and kicking skills in Ling and Stoddart, so his future as a regular in the Swans' team looked doubtful. At Carlton he has the freedom to play more of the game that suits his strengths. I'm very happy for him. Another angle on this is that if we didn't waste our time playing Jack and Hanners last year when they were clearly unfit to play, Newman would probably have been a regular in the side and most likely still on our list. If we made a mistake, that's the culprit.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 15th July 2019 at 04:44 PM.