Page 88 of 521 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,045 to 1,056 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

With each ineffective I50 on the weekend, i'd say Papley would've been more and more likely to look favourably at approaches from teams with classier mids. A lot of what we read/hear is BS, but in this case i'm thinking smoke=fire.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Mitchell was a blunder with the benefit of hindsight but a difficult decision at the time.

Newman not a blunder - good player but it seemed he was not going to get as much opportunity with us (before Macca, Smith and Reg went down). Means that COR got his chance and the door is wider open for Stoddart & co.

Dunkley absolutely not a blunder. He only agreed to nominate us as father-son on the basis that we would only match a bid if he was going to be forced out of Victoria. We were bound by our agreement and our word. If you're saying that we should have just bid on him before the Bulldogs in the open draft then you might as well say we should have bid on Fyfe before Rohan or Jetta in 2009.
    rofl

Cant wait for open mike in the next couple weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    With each ineffective I50 on the weekend, i'd say Papley would've been more and more likely to look favourably at approaches from teams with classier mids. A lot of what we read/hear is BS, but in this case i'm thinking smoke=fire.
    Dane Beams told the whole club at the end of season dinner that he loved them, was going no where. A few days later he was traded back to Collingwood.
    Papley is the sort of player who would be pumped and giving 100% on game game regardless of who he was playing for. I'm not saying he's gone but I would put about as much weight on his public words and pride in the club as Dane Beams. Players say one thing but when it comes to contracts, are liable to do the complete opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think you're on the mark re Paps. He wants to go elsewhere when both grandfathers played for the Swans? And he still rings his surviving grandfather before a game? Pull the other one.
    Max did walk out on us after just 60-odd games....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    The Herald-Sun is pure smoke. The fire died out when Rupert bought it, and even then it was only a flicker.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Max did walk out on us after just 60-odd games....

- - - Updated - - -
    Playing footy was not a career then, he left to earn more money out of the VFL I believe. Both sides of the family were and are dyed in the wool Swans. Papley is living the dream, playing for the team he grew up avidly following with two South Melbourne grandfathers and plays like he's living the dream. Let's not mention this again until something concrete comes to light rather than the scatter gun ramblings of journo's struggling to fill minutes and column inches!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Playing footy was not a career then, he left to earn more money out of the VFL I believe. Both sides of the family were and are dyed in the wool Swans. Papley is living the dream, playing for the team he grew up avidly following with two South Melbourne grandfathers and plays like he's living the dream. Let's not mention this again until something concrete comes to light rather than the scatter gun ramblings of journo's struggling to fill minutes and column inches!
    Well said.

I guess the weird thing with the Papley talk is you could understand a footy journo pulling his name out or a hat if he were coming out of contract this year, but he’s got another year to run. That’s the only strange part of it, I don’t see anything in the way he plays and the passion he displays to suggest he wants to leave the swans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    A few of my thoughts from the last few pages I’ve read (I’m overseas at the moment and catch up in bursts)

1. Dunkley - we were never in a position to draft him as a f/s if a Vic club drafted him. I agree that it was basically draft tampering and shouldn’t have happened but either way we would never have had him. What is sad is that a club legend’s son didn’t want to come to Sydney. I’ve heard that Andrew Dunkley had a falling out but don’t know the details.

2. Rucks - I’d love a good ruck as much as anyone else. Unfortunately, they are largely a fluke to draft and recruit. People often bring up Nankervis but he is no better than Sinkers. A lot of other teams are in similar ruck situations with their number 1 ruck approaching retirement age.

3. Small forwards - I think our stocks are low here. Paps is great. Hayward is not a hard ground ball get player. Ronke is showing that his few good games in 2018 was more likely the exception than the rule. I haven’t seen any of the NEAFL to comment on Wicks. I think we need a Rioli. There must be another one coming up in the next draft?
    The Dunkley brothers not wanting to come to Sydney. You can blame Rodney Eade for that one. He caused a lot of damage and had a serious arguments with Andrew Dunkley and Wayne Schwass. Both dislike the Swans because of him and both probably retired earlier that they should have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. What a shame. I haven’t heard too many good things about Eade and this just adds to them. However, there has also been a lot of time passed since he was here and so I also think it is a shame that more recent Swans management haven’t mended the bridges with such past players.

Veteran Site Admin
    Kyle Dunkley came up to Sydney and trained with the Swans for a brief period last off-season. That's not consistent with him not wanting to come to the club.

Kyle and Josh were photographed in the Swans' rooms after the 2012 GF victory, as ardent supporters of the team, despite the oft-reported coolness between their father and the club. Who knows if that's even real anymore. Josh's preference not to be drafted to the Swans may simply have been because he really didn't want to leave Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Josh's preference not to be drafted to the Swans may simply have been because he really didn't want to leave Victoria.
    I think that is much more likely to be the case. From what I’ve read the Dunkleys are a close family. It was reported recently that the two brothers plus their sister (a Super netballer) share a house in Melbourne. Understandable if Josh’s preference was to stay in Melbourne -while not refusing to move if a Melbourne option was not available.

He would have been hotly wooed by Vic clubs had we drafted him so might not have worked out for the Swans in the longer term anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I guess the weird thing with the Papley talk is you could understand a footy journo pulling his name out or a hat if he were coming out of contract this year, but he’s got another year to run. That’s the only strange part of it, I don’t see anything in the way he plays and the passion he displays to suggest he wants to leave the swans.
    The journo says "Clubs are aware that Papley, 23, has flagged an interest in returning to Victoria for family reasons after four @seasons with the Swans." If that is the case, then he may leave the Swans.