Page 26 of 521 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Article in the HS today hinted we may be looking at Kyle Dunkley in mid season draft, and perhaps we may have enquired about F/S priority

The article also suggested that clubs will overlook mature options and use the draft to select young players for future development

I imagine it won't be a popular decision here if we do go for another youngster who won't have any impact this season
    Why would F/S be extinguished because it's the Mid season draft? Probably another thing the "rules on the run" AFL hadn't thought about. They'll probably run it past Eddie first!

Given we are rebuilding, why wouldn't we go for a youngster who won't impact this season? There's some guns at the very top of the draft, two or three mids as good or better than Sam Walsh according to pundits so let's scrub this year and reap the rewards, no point trying to drag out a few scrappy wins to finish mid table and miss the top three guns.

Is the mid season draft restricted to the same age group as the earlier national draft ?

If so, all the good youngsters are well gone unless someone who wasnt deemed good enough for 60-something pick has suddenly been tearing it up.

If you can get players who were two young for the national draft, then go for it. Its like having another 1st round pick.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    From the AFL.com:

What qualifies to participate?:
    Clubs can fill vacancies on their list created by players succumbing to long-term injury, or retiring from the game.

Who can clubs recruit?:
    Clubs will be able to draft any footballers who have already been on an AFL list, or who nominated for the 2018 NAB AFL Draft.

Any player delisted at the end of 2018 cannot be re-selected by the club that delisted them, unless they nominated for last year's NAB AFL Draft.

There will be a five-day window for players to nominate for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft from Monday April 29 to Friday May 3.
    sprite

Senior Player
    We've got space to select one player, I'd be flabbergasted if we didn't participate

Article in the HS today hinted we may be looking at Kyle Dunkley in mid season draft, and perhaps we may have enquired about F/S priority

The article also suggested that clubs will overlook mature options and use the draft to select young players for future development

(Sorry I can't link it)

I imagine it won't be a popular decision here if we do go for another youngster who won't have any impact this season
    I saw dunkley play last week out out blacktown for gippsland. If not for the fact that he is related to an afl player, and the son of an afl player no one would be talking about him. Good solid player but single speed. Doesn't have the burst speed the swans need.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I saw dunkley play last week out out blacktown for gippsland. If not for the fact that he is related to an afl player, and the son of an afl player no one would be talking about him. Good solid player but single speed. Doesn't have the burst speed the swans need.
    Could be a master plan to get his brother (?) from the bulldogs. Bulldogs lose players all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Could be a master plan to get his brother (?) from the bulldogs. Bulldogs lose players all the time.
    Didn't we deliberately not draft Josh, and help him get to the Bulldogs in the first place?

pr. dim-melb; m not f

(Sorry I can't link it)

A short extract from the article by Zachary Gates:

Former Sydney star Kurt Tippett looks poised to sign a retirement form in the @coming days which would give the struggling Swans a shot at fresh Blood in the mid-season draft.

Despite not playing a game for the club since 2017 after effectively calling time on his career due to chronic injury, Tippett has remained on the Swans’ rookie list as a mechanism to help pay out an agreed portion of his multimillion-dollar deal.

However, if Tippett signs an official AFL form confirming his retirement, Sydney can finally remove him from their list and find a pain-free entry into earning themselves a prized mid-season draft pick on May 27, which could aid them in their rebuild.

One intriguing option Sydney could consider out of the potential pool is 19-year-old Kyle Dunkley, the son of 217-game Swans great, Andrew Dunkley.

The club sends out articles from Gates but I'm not sure whether they would want whole articles turning up on R&W, so I've left it at that.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Urrrrghh. Who or what is AFL trade?
    He's got Bloods blood running through his veins. Surely not!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Why would F/S be extinguished because it's the Mid season draft? Probably another thing the "rules on the run" AFL hadn't thought about. They'll probably run it past Eddie first!

Given we are rebuilding, why wouldn't we go for a youngster who won't impact this season? There's some guns at the very top of the draft, two or three mids as good or better than Sam Walsh according to pundits so let's scrub this year and reap the rewards, no point trying to drag out a few scrappy wins to finish mid table and miss the top three guns.
    My understanding is that he was eligible in the last draft and wasn't selected. Therefore the FS option has passed. Regardless, I'm pretty sure that the mid season draft has no FS or academy drafting options.

We can't draft any of the youngsters that will be available in the end of season draft.

- - - Updated - - -

No way.

Veterans List
    Probably a site run by that muppet Terry Wallace. Of all the players on our list, Papley would be one of the last to consider a move. His family on both sides have red and white blood, he grew up an avid fan, now in the leadership group. Amazing what rubbish/fake "news" is on line. Move along ....