Page 258 of 521 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268308358 ... LastLast
Results 3,085 to 3,096 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    If he goes back into the Essendon fold, he may not be available again.
    Agreed, it sounds like he wants a fresh start - it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up retiring tbh.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardLong View Post
    I have decided to no longer listen to Trade Radio until the 7th October purely based on the fact that it's all Melbourne footy media propaganda.
    We've all mentioned it multiple times in this forum. Papley has stated that he is happy to stay at the club if a deal cannot be struck that favours the club.
    Not to mention the fact that the club can hold him to his contact.
    There's no way that Essendon will get 2 first round picks for JD. That's probably a deal for a player who was fit. Not JD in his current state.
    Sydney had him do a medical back when he met Tom Harley so we'd have a really good indication on whether we could get his body right or not.
    I don't believe we'd go into a deal for JD without a detailed view of his medical state. Essendon would want overs but they also realise that he can walk in a years time so they would want to get a deal done now. We have the luxury of sitting back and waiting.

For mine, I believe we have every intention of waiting until the end of next year and that would've been stated to JD. So his dad was right in saying he'd be at Essendon next year because we've set him the task of getting his body right. It's speculation I know. But it's entirely possible.

As a side note, we had a huge crack at Darcy Moore and he comes out of contact next year too so don't be surprised if we pick up JD and DM as Free Agents.
    DM would be great. Firstly for his football ability. Secondly and more importantly, it could finish off Eddie and put him into rehab for years.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLong View Post
    As a side note, we had a huge crack at Darcy Moore and he comes out of contact next year too so don't be surprised if we pick up JD and DM as Free Agents.
    My understanding of the rules is you're only allowed to pick up 1 Free Agent in any given year. Moore was recruited in 2014, meaning he doesn't qualify for Free Agency for another 3 years.

What I find intriguing though with JD is that EFC are spouting he's worth picks 5 & 9, yet they haven't put a contract extension offer in front of him for a player they rate so highly! Makes me suspicious they're also weary of his longevity in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    My understanding of the rules is you're only allowed to pick up 1 Free Agent in any given year. Moore was recruited in 2014, meaning he doesn't qualify for Free Agency for another 3 years.

What I find intriguing though with JD is that EFC are spouting he's worth picks 5 & 9, yet they haven't put a contract extension offer in front of him for a player they rate so highly! Makes me suspicious they're also weary of his longevity in the game.
    I reckon if we had a choice between FA, we'd take JD if his body was right.
    That's the kicker, no contact extension would suggest that the EFC aren't confident in his ability to come good.
    Also, add that to the fact that the EFC are notoriously difficult in trade negotiations and it's no surprise they'd indirectly push that they want 2 first round picks.
    I just think Sydney hold all the chocolates. We're not desperate or under any cap pressure so we can really sit back and wait for the right deal to come to us.

- - - Updated - - -

DM would be great. Firstly for his football ability. Secondly and more importantly, it could finish off Eddie and put him into rehab for years.
    We could get Eddit into rehab alot easier....Create another jumper clash haha

if we recruit Daniher, then Charley Gardiner's Injury Update Video will have to be turned into a 2 hour show.

It really depends on who initiated the Daniher thing - if it was us and we have pushed him hard to come to Sydney, it significantly weakens our trade position. Like Gibbs and Adelaide, you can't go hard for a contracted player, convince them to ask their club for a trade, and then leave them hanging and have to go back with their tail between their legs if you think the trade price gets a bit high. You're all-in and have to get the deal done.

If he came to us, then fine - we can play it cool and leave it at "we'll do our best to get something done this year, but if not we'll both just have to wait another 12 months".

Two top-10 picks might be close if he had been AA the last 2 years, so he's not worth anything near that right now - his injuries and FA status next year have to come into it (although Essendon are probably the only club which wouldn't be reasonable in their approach to that).

The Papley one should work in our favour in terms of Carlton - back in June they publicly stated they were going after small forwards and clearly have initiated things with Papley. I think we have good reason to be annoyed and question the coincidence that Carlton have been chasing small forwards all year and Papley suddenly coming down with a case of the 'family reasons' and needing to go back to VIC.

Hopefully these teams like Carlton and St Kilda also get some push-back with all their proposed trades - with all the players they're chasing and limited picks, it's like they're going into a store with a long shopping list and when they get to the checkout saying "but I've only got $50, you'll have to accept that". But that's why we have to be reasonable if we initiated the Daniher thing - it will come back to bite clubs if they get a reputation for going around offering the world and then shafting some of those targets by pulling out and leaving them in the lurch.

Good post, Steve.

My latest thought: Daniher should retire and, then, if he's up for it, make a comeback with us after next season. This is our dream scenario. Would cost us nothing. We don't need him next year. And he could have a year getting himself right mentally and physically and deciding if he wants to keep playing footy. And EFC would get nothing. It's perfect.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Fringe player. Wouldn't waste a pick or a trade. We might as well keep James Rose.

The latest I heard on Sen, twice, is the Board has said no way will we let Papley go.

Jones; he was fishing with Heeney and Bell yesterday having a good time. If he was intent on leaving you would think his time off might be spent in Melbourne chasing offers and doing medicals.

It feels like the most unsettling and not spoken issue is that we are looking at supposedly JD and loosing Jones and or Paps

For a team coming 15th on the table and having 4 significant retirees in 2019 and a super young team you would think we should not be loosing any key player and only adding new key players

Regular in the Side
    lol

I think that a lot of the talk emanating in the past 24 hours about what we might have to give up for Daniher, reflects an Essendon wish list perspective rather than a more balanced view. The Swans have been deliberately silent throughout. I sincerely doubt that the Swans will do a deal that reflects paying over the odds for him. They obviously want him but not at any price. The Bombers are outraged that a contracted player would dare to ask for a trade. Reality will set in across the trade week when they ponder the possibility of Daniher leaving next year for next to nothing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Did no one see this yesterday?

Contracted Swans forward picks Blues over Roos - AFL.com.au

.....which contained this:

"However, AFL.com.au understands the Swans intend to hold Papley, who is contracted until 2023, to his existing deal in the Harbour City."

He's staying......simple as that.