Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: JLT1 Swans v GWS @ Blacktown Saturday 2nd March

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    In summary

1. The GWS list is extremely deep and they have some seriously exciting young strong athletic bodied players to call upon this season when injuries strike

2. Secondly the GWS game plan with their exits via HBF are seriously exciting and clean. They had us moving around like sheep. In comparison our exits looked terrible

3. Our entries only started looking better when the Giants better players left the ground which was quite disturbing.

Long season I think especially given two of our three new recruits looked average in particular Clumsy Clarke and our youth looked a level down compared to the youth of GWS
    Unfortunately this is a spot on assessment from last night. Hoping for a better showing next week...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    In summary

1. The GWS list is extremely deep and they have some seriously exciting young strong athletic bodied players to call upon this season when injuries strike

2. Secondly the GWS game plan with their exits via HBF are seriously exciting and clean. They had us moving around like sheep. In comparison our exits looked terrible

3. Our entries only started looking better when the Giants better players left the ground which was quite disturbing.

Long season I think especially given two of our three new recruits looked average in particular Clumsy Clarke and our youth looked a level down compared to the youth of GWS
    Agree 100%. Clarke certainly did not look too flash. This is the year to get some game time into the likes of McInerney, Ling, Stoddart, Rowbottom and Foot and not persist with average older players who have already had their chance.

What was most disappointing was the disposal under perceived pressure not real pressure. The players were rushing everything, not composed. But the most disappointing aspect was that it was our most experienced players who were doing this. Kennedy, Cunningham, Parker, Hewett, Heeney, Mills, Rampe, Papley. I thought Aliir, COR, young McInnerney, Ronke, Dawson the most composed. Even Pink who is seen as a development player had more composure than Kennedy & Co.

This falling apart under pressure and then rushing when you don't need to has become a mainstay of our play of recent times. Jude Bolton must grit and grind his teeth in anger and disbelief at the lack of composure of our senior squad.

Clark gets plenty of ball but jesus his ball use is deplorable. Yes Hannas ball use was bad but I don't think I saw him do three underground grubbas in a row with only one having pressure on. The kid just hacks the @@@@ out of the ball. Very disappointing.

Thurlow's disposal was not as bad but he also butchered the ball on several occasions and put players under extreme pressure. If Fox is to take hold of the back pocket position while Smooch is away he had better do two things; tighten up and toughen up.

Sinclair was good around the ground. Yes he got hit outs. But rarely did one go to advantage. His hit outs tend to fall straight to ground or to the side where the opposition set up two players. That gives them a better chance of getting the spill. The other thing is what's all this about not manning up at centre bounces and other stoppages. There were many times the majority of our players were on one side of the contest and their players on the other. That spells disaster when you don't even man up Coniglio and Taranto. I get that we were backing our Ruck in but Sinclair rarely hits to advantage so it is not a good thing. On the other hand his opponents hit to advantage almost every time. If you want to know why they were so strong in the midfield you might like to start there.

The forward line was a mess. They were getting in each other's way, Reid and Blakey were going for the same ball, they were running way out of position and away from the incoming player constantly. At times of they had approached the player with the ball they may have gotten a good contest but they seemed to be getting caught out of position and doubling back all the time. The timing of leads was way off and all the players were getting in each other's way. It would have been comical if it weren't so sad. Reid wasn't just rusty he was comical. He ran to the wrong spots, doubled back so badly at times, the player with the ball was far too far from him to hit him up. He also led to the pockets too often. There is more but...

As for the delivery onto the forward line. It was not helped by a chaotic forward set up but really, can our players stop hitting the opposition backs on the chest with passes and high kicks. Bloody hell that's so frustrating. My school footy team could hit up targets why can't our blokes. The difference in field kicking was so noticeable. Theirs, was superb, ours atrocious.

I think it was amazing we were able to get so close. I really thought we always looked on the edge of a blowout. But there was one thing I had in my mind every time we even got close. They will step it up here and they did everytime. They had our measure, they knew it and we knew it.

Who to persevere with? Dawson used the ball well with his 15. He didn't get enough of the ball but that may have been because Longmire insisted on leaving him at FF one out on three Giants and getting the boys to kick to him. Boy that really works. What about the two boys who were free? What about kicking to them? Oh they couldn't that's right, they were the ones kicking to him and they were too far up to provide forward pressure and punish the opposition.

McInnerney did not get involved enough in my opinion. But then again the backs were in chaos. Nobody seemed to be leading and Rampe was missing for most of the match. He seemed disinterested. He was not giving feedback, giving directions to his teammates and being a backs general. We missed Reg terribly as he controls the backs. Reg & Smithy. Rampe showed no evidence he is going to take that next step. He was thoroughly murdered by every opponent last night and was silent when it came to helping his young backs. Pathetic Ramps. You're supposed to be a captain, then be one. You could have given Melican some tips about playing on Cameron.

Why do we when we get a clearance, one of the rare ones, just bomb the ball in, no direction, no lifting the eyes to see who's available, no composure at all. Even Ollie did it and I was a bit shocked as he is normally pretty composed, even under heavy pressure. George did it too. Bugger. When George is just bombing the ball forward you know you're in trouble.

It was not a very good hit out. Our footy at times would have embarrassed a school footy team. Our disposal was substandard. Our set ups a mess. Our backs confused and loose. The mids were loose and lazy. We can't take this sort of footy into the H&A season. We will get slaughtered on the rebound every time. Hopefully we won't take this style into a real game.

As for the coaching. Again Longmire's response to getting killed in the mids and the opposition getting a run on is to flood the back line. This is so negative. We should have been on top in the second because we had momentum. But as soon as the bit back he goes the full flood and we had nobody ro kick to. The ball kept coming back in again and again. How many times have we seen this and thought I never want to see this again? The problem is nothing much has changed. Still slow movement. Still terrible stoppage set ups. Still terrible forward structure. Still not hitting out to advantage. Still relying on the strong back six and mids to get back and flood. All players to flood. We are not playing modern footy by a long shot. It is same old, same old. If we don't do something to remedy this by round one even the Bullies will blow us away. Stewie Dew gave them the blueprint on how to beat us and every coach will use that if Longmire does not change.

I realise this is not an important match. It is really a scratch match. A Pre season match. But we really didn't show much. In the last few years there have been good signs. Players to be excited about. I'm not seeing this here. In fact several of our blokes have gone backward. Very frustrating. I'm hoping it is just an illusion and everything will come good by the season opener.

But if the coaching does not change nothing will come good. Longmire needs to pull his head in and realise he is the major problem and if he can't change, give someone else a go.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Nicks had a spell coaching at Port didn't he?
    Moved back to SA, worked as a financial adviser at Ord Minette for a time and a coached Scotch College 1sts (SA) before joining Port as a defensive coach

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    My worry is for Kennedy. He looked slow in the midfield and I fear that the modern game has changed sufficiently that his style is no longer helpful to us. He is mostly very good at getting the ball from a stoppage and then dump kicking it Forward quickly without looking for a target so hopefully another stoppage ensues and the same happens again. Contrast that to Mitchell at the hawks ( admittedly not this year). But Mitchell extracts the ball elitetely. Then he handballs to an outside player who has time to hit up a target forward.

This is not a comment that we should have kept Mitchell at all costs but more that our style is not effective anymore and sadly our Kennedy is made for our old ineffective style.

I’ve actually wondered if we need to start swapping Parker and Kennedy. Play Kennedy more forward and play Parker more midfield instead of the other way around. I know Parker currently plays midfield but he does spend a decent amount of time in the forward half. I think he was starting there last night but maybe that was just to give the new guys some experience in the centre. Kennedy across half forward has been quite good in the past and it could be good for him as he gets older
    Good observations. I also think that you can't have too many slow players at centre bounces, because if the ball gets loose, you need some pace to get to the ball first as the mob that usually attacks the ball is still coming off their starting positions. However, I imagine that strategies will be developed to overcome the open spaces in the middle of the ground at the start of play, at least to some extent.

I'm not worried about Kennedy however. I think he never got out of 2nd gear, as there's nothing to prove in a JLT game at this stage of his career and he'll turn it up once the season starts.

I don't think we worked as hard as the Giants, especially in the 1st quarter. It's not necessarily indicative of how things will go in the regular season. There should be plenty of work to do for us to get the group working together effectively. Hopefully we will see this as the season progresses.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    What was most disappointing was the disposal under perceived pressure not real pressure. The players were rushing everything, not composed. But the most disappointing aspect was that it was our most experienced players who were doing this. Kennedy, Cunningham, Parker, Hewett, Heeney, Mills, Rampe, Papley. I thought Aliir, COR, young McInnerney, Ronke, Dawson the most composed. Even Pink who is seen as a development player had more composure than Kennedy & Co.

This falling apart under pressure and then rushing when you don't need to has become a mainstay of our play of recent times. Jude Bolton must grit and grind his teeth in anger and disbelief at the lack of composure of our senior squad.

Clark gets plenty of ball but jesus his ball use is deplorable. Yes Hannas ball use was bad but I don't think I saw him do three underground grubbas in a row with only one having pressure on. The kid just hacks the @@@@ out of the ball. Very disappointing.

Thurlow's disposal was not as bad but he also butchered the ball on several occasions and put players under extreme pressure. If Fox is to take hold of the back pocket position while Smooch is away he had better do two things; tighten up and toughen up.

Sinclair was good around the ground. Yes he got hit outs. But rarely did one go to advantage. His hit outs tend to fall straight to ground or to the side where the opposition set up two players. That gives them a better chance of getting the spill. The other thing is what's all this about not manning up at centre bounces and other stoppages. There were many times the majority of our players were on one side of the contest and their players on the other. That spells disaster when you don't even man up Coniglio and Taranto. I get that we were backing our Ruck in but Sinclair rarely hits to advantage so it is not a good thing. On the other hand his opponents hit to advantage almost every time. If you want to know why they were so strong in the midfield you might like to start there.

The forward line was a mess. They were getting in each other's way, Reid and Blakey were going for the same ball, they were running way out of position and away from the incoming player constantly. At times of they had approached the player with the ball they may have gotten a good contest but they seemed to be getting caught out of position and doubling back all the time. The timing of leads was way off and all the players were getting in each other's way. It would have been comical if it weren't so sad. Reid wasn't just rusty he was comical. He ran to the wrong spots, doubled back so badly at times, the player with the ball was far too far from him to hit him up. He also led to the pockets too often. There is more but...

As for the delivery onto the forward line. It was not helped by a chaotic forward set up but really, can our players stop hitting the opposition backs on the chest with passes and high kicks. Bloody hell that's so frustrating. My school footy team could hit up targets why can't our blokes. The difference in field kicking was so noticeable. Theirs, was superb, ours atrocious.

I think it was amazing we were able to get so close. I really thought we always looked on the edge of a blowout. But there was one thing I had in my mind every time we even got close. They will step it up here and they did everytime. They had our measure, they knew it and we knew it.

Who to persevere with? Dawson used the ball well with his 15. He didn't get enough of the ball but that may have been because Longmire insisted on leaving him at FF one out on three Giants and getting the boys to kick to him. Boy that really works. What about the two boys who were free? What about kicking to them? Oh they couldn't that's right, they were the ones kicking to him and they were too far up to provide forward pressure and punish the opposition.

McInnerney did not get involved enough in my opinion. But then again the backs were in chaos. Nobody seemed to be leading and Rampe was missing for most of the match. He seemed disinterested. He was not giving feedback, giving directions to his teammates and being a backs general. We missed Reg terribly as he controls the backs. Reg & Smithy. Rampe showed no evidence he is going to take that next step. He was thoroughly murdered by every opponent last night and was silent when it came to helping his young backs. Pathetic Ramps. You're supposed to be a captain, then be one. You could have given Melican some tips about playing on Cameron.

Why do we when we get a clearance, one of the rare ones, just bomb the ball in, no direction, no lifting the eyes to see who's available, no composure at all. Even Ollie did it and I was a bit shocked as he is normally pretty composed, even under heavy pressure. George did it too. Bugger. When George is just bombing the ball forward you know you're in trouble.

It was not a very good hit out. Our footy at times would have embarrassed a school footy team. Our disposal was substandard. Our set ups a mess. Our backs confused and loose. The mids were loose and lazy. We can't take this sort of footy into the H&A season. We will get slaughtered on the rebound every time. Hopefully we won't take this style into a real game.

As for the coaching. Again Longmire's response to getting killed in the mids and the opposition getting a run on is to flood the back line. This is so negative. We should have been on top in the second because we had momentum. But as soon as the bit back he goes the full flood and we had nobody ro kick to. The ball kept coming back in again and again. How many times have we seen this and thought I never want to see this again? The problem is nothing much has changed. Still slow movement. Still terrible stoppage set ups. Still terrible forward structure. Still not hitting out to advantage. Still relying on the strong back six and mids to get back and flood. All players to flood. We are not playing modern footy by a long shot. It is same old, same old. If we don't do something to remedy this by round one even the Bullies will blow us away. Stewie Dew gave them the blueprint on how to beat us and every coach will use that if Longmire does not change.

I realise this is not an important match. It is really a scratch match. A Pre season match. But we really didn't show much. In the last few years there have been good signs. Players to be excited about. I'm not seeing this here. In fact several of our blokes have gone backward. Very frustrating. I'm hoping it is just an illusion and everything will come good by the season opener.

But if the coaching does not change nothing will come good. Longmire needs to pull his head in and realise he is the major problem and if he can't change, give someone else a go.

Looks like 2019 is a waste of time then! Maybe the team should forfeit all our games to save embarrassment and spend the winter honing our skills. (I wonder when Pridham will bite the bullet and appoint a few certain RWO'ers as the coaching panel)

PS. GWS at some stage will need to play someone who wasn't a first round draft pick and then their skills might decline a little.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

We may revisit this extremely negative post later in the season.....possibly accompanied by some 'humble pie'.....served by Horse.

Veterans List
    Man, it's the first JLT - no Buddy; Mills, Reid, Melican rusty after missing most of last year.

Veterans List
    Also, FWIW, a couple of 2018 JLT results:

GWS 96 - Collingwood 36
    Fremantle 101 - WCE 39

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Man, it's the first JLT - no Buddy; Mills, Reid, Melican rusty after missing most of last year.
    Yes true, but the problems in our list and game plan have being developing for several years.

Basically our mid coach is Kirk, who i believe doesn't have a clue: looks too much back at his playing days.

As noted above "The other thing is what's all this about not manning up at centre bounces and other stoppages. There were many times the majority of our players were on one side of the contest and their players on the other. That spells disaster when you don't even man up Coniglio and Taranto".

Also Papley, Ronke and i suspect Mills are not midfielders, so the continual attempts to try and make them what they are not will end in complete failure.

Keep them in the forward or back line and find someone else, like Dawson to be in the guts.

But the worse deficiency is still playing Parker and Kennedy at centre bounces.

So many times in the last couple of years you will see Parker trailing his man by several meters and getting burnt off.

He must be moved to the forward line, and someone who at least can keep pace put into the centre.

I do remember RoK getting similar treatment.

As for our forward line, calling them that is being very generous.

This is Reid last year, and if he prove yet again to be a totally tease, he should be taken out the back of the SCG and put down!

We need another bigman up forward; the position, like the Defense Against the Dark Arts position at Hogwarts seems to be cursed!

Tippo, Reid, McCartin, etc, no one seems to be able to be keep on the park.

Would like to see Pink given a go; his height 195cm and body can at least give us something and he can learn more in the senior than the NEAFL.
    doof-doof

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Also, FWIW, a couple of 2018 JLT results:

GWS 96 - Collingwood 36
    Fremantle 101 - WCE 39
    Yep, it's usually not a good idea to peak in March.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Yes true, but the problems in our list and game plan have being developing for several years.

Basically our mid coach is Kirk, who i believe doesn't have a clue: looks too much back at his playing days.

As noted above "The other thing is what's all this about not manning up at centre bounces and other stoppages. There were many times the majority of our players were on one side of the contest and their players on the other. That spells disaster when you don't even man up Coniglio and Taranto".

Also Papley, Ronke and i suspect Mills are not midfielders, so the continual attempts to try and make them what they are not will end in complete failure.

Keep them in the forward or back line and find someone else, like Dawson to be in the guts.

But the worse deficiency is still playing Parker and Kennedy at centre bounces.

So many times in the last couple of years you will see Parker trailing his man by several meters and getting burnt off.

He must be moved to the forward line, and someone who at least can keep pace put into the centre.

I do remember RoK getting similar treatment.

As for our forward line, calling them that is being very generous.

This is Reid last year, and if he prove yet again to be a totally tease, he should be taken out the back of the SCG and put down!

We need another bigman up forward; the position, like the Defense Against the Dark Arts position at Hogwarts seems to be cursed!

Tippo, Reid, McCartin, etc, no one seems to be able to be keep on the park.

Would like to see Pink given a go; his height 195cm and body can at least give us something and he can learn more in the senior than the NEAFL.
    We may revisit this extremely negative post later in the season.....possibly accompanied by some 'humble pie'.....served by Horse.

....but seriously, you make some good points and yes, some things sound worrying but it's early days and Horse and the coaching panel may have some surprises up their sleeves.....I sincerely hope so but I don't think one JLT game in is necessarily the right time to panic.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast