Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: JLT 2019 Game 2: Swans v Suns @ Lismore 1:10pm

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMase View Post
    Mills started the game in defence and was there most of the game from what I saw.

(I live in Lismore and was at the game).
    Mills definitely spent all game in defence. I just wonder if it was just for this game to replace Lloyd. Jones played midfield.

I was at the game and I came away feeling that our back six might struggle with McVeigh, Grundy and Melican included. They all looked slow. Not just leg speed but McVeigh always seems to create time for himself which seems to settle the backline. Didn't see that today. He fumbled a bit and looked off the pace. Same for Grundy and Melican. Hopefully they all improve over the next few weeks but I think we may be seeing Grundy in NEAFL a bit this year.
    If I had to choose between Reid and Blakey for round 1 I'd go for Blakey. He is offering more atm. He's great when the ball hits the ground as well as being a good mark and kick. Reid looks like he needs more time.
    Really impressed with Allir. He gave away a huge amount of height in the ruck contest but did very well especially around the ruck when the ball came to ground. He is really good at involving others in the play. Papley and Jones were good. Papley like Jones last year goes for the hero play too often and takes it just a little too far but probably just maturity needed. He certainly gives us great thrust and speed around the midfield.
    Clark is interesting. As others have said he's good at getting the ball but then his disposal lets him down. Looks like he struggles from lack of confidence in his decision making so hopefully a dose of good coaching and support will see him grow. Not surprising with his injury history and the rejections he had at Norths. Same for Jackson Thurlow. Showed enough to suggest he'll be useful.
    Given the 35 degree plus temperature and not having a recognised tap ruckman for the whole game I thought it was a good hit out.
    Does anyone know whether a decision has been made on replacing Maibaum? After what I saw today a tall key position back would be a good addition

Veterans List
    About time to resurrect the Best 22 thread, will be some interesting positional changes, Jones, Papley, Mills midfield? A lot of best players to add to today's hit out.

Clarke went at 79% disposal rating today, he's booked himself for R1.

Dawson looks to have cemented a spot, gee his kicking is a delight to watch.

Ronke hasn't done much in the JLT but couldn't see him miss given what he gave us last year, albeit he got tired towards the end.

Reid will be there, so important for forward structure.

Thurlow done enough to grab a HBF?

Blakey, looks to have all the tools, how's his ground level pick ups, will be a very good player very quickly IMO but R1 quickly? Might depend on Bud.

A good hit out, selection headaches for R1, we've built playing and list depth and got some exciting kids to develop. Might/could be a development year but the ride will be good fun.

Yep, the Round 1 team will be very interesting. At the very least, there is Buddy, Florent, Lloyd, and Sinclair to come back into the team.

For me, Melican and Ronke are under the most pressure.

It’s certainly a jigsaw for us all to work out between now and rd 1

who will get enough game time in ressies etc prior to two weeks from now ??

9 Snr level players out right now :

Franklin
    Sinclair
    Ollie
    Smith
    Jack
    Naismith
    McCartin
    Menzel
    Lloyd

—————

What I do know is that the below 6 players who didn’t play Snrs for the swans last year except Dawson will be in and out of our best 22 this year.

McInerney
    Blakey
    Clarke
    Thurlow
    Menzel
    Dawson

The tricky part is who will be the next Hayward or Ollie or Papley or Mills or Heeney ie the players that have come straight in Snrs first year?

For me Blakey and McInerney look likely to have serious AFL careers

Blakey will get his chances for sure due to tall forwards so often in and out of the side due to injury therefore he wil no doubt get his opportunities......more then that though, Blakey is very talented with a strong work ethic

Justin McInerney is a great surprise and is so cool under pressure , with some seriously good scanning of options, short kicks and handballs and he just loves finding the footy and putting on good pressure........he also appears to be not to far off in surviving 4 qtrs of afl snr footy

I rate justin as a real talent and that is only after a small sample to go on , but he has a lot potential and I think a fair bit of upside for 2019. The kid is only going to get better and thrive thru the year in my humble opinion

Dawson lifted a notch again and his decision making and execution looked sharp.......his work rate is lifting more every time I watch him play. I still find it amazing he can’t be a cut off defender like a Luke Hodge style player

Dawson has a great mark and an awesome kick

Imagine Dawson coming off the HBF kicking to buddy

Two 60m kicks for a goal ! Dawson to buddy goal !!
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 10th March 2019 at 08:57 PM.

I'm not really buying in to the "Blakey for Round 1" hype, if McCartin is fit. He's clearly talented and will be a gun, but he's a long way off. He hasn't shown consistent forward pressure or hitting contests. Things he'll develop in the system.

Clarke was impressive with his gut running, but will frustrate with decision making.
    Papley was great at breaking lines, but his disposal was terrible - would have been about 35% by foot today.

The back 6 are fine. Melican was very physical live, and will be better for the hit out.

Real uncertainty over what to do with Heeney and Mills. Clearly both thought of as on ballers, but both were spending a lot of time at their usual ends.

Some positive signs with Dawson looking strong and comfortable, and some of the newbies looking like they'll be alright. Hewitt will step up to a new level as well.
    But man, that forward line is a mess. Hopefully Franklin and McCartin provide the structure it's missed the last two weeks, because it's looked shambolic at times.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    From what Longmire said in his ‘press’ conference (no journalists turned up) it sounds as if Reid was a bit sick in the stomach, hence he was taken off early (particularly given the heat).

Longmire was very praising of Aliir. Said Blakey not a certainty for week 1, depends on what develops over the next two weeks (usual caginess by the coach).
    .....then followed up with he won't be playing NEAFL next week, so I reckon Blakey is a lock.

On Reid, someone said earlier he was seen post match pointing at his ribs.....most likely pointing at his stomach. They did say it was mid 30's up there today. He should be fine.

Lots of excellent link-up attacking footy today (compared to last week) which they can do really well (the commentators mostly bang on about our ‘trench warfare’ style).

Well done Swans.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I'm not really buying in to the "Blakey for Round 1" hype, if McCartin is fit. He's clearly talented and will be a gun, but he's a long way off. He hasn't shown consistent forward pressure or hitting contests. Things he'll develop in the system.

Clarke was impressive with his gut running, but will frustrate with decision making.
    Papley was great at breaking lines, but his disposal was terrible - would have been about 35% by foot today.

The back 6 are fine. Melican was very physical live, and will be better for the hit out.

Real uncertainty over what to do with Heeney and Mills. Clearly both thought of as on ballers, but both were spending a lot of time at their usual ends.

Some positive signs with Dawson looking strong and comfortable, and some of the newbies looking like they'll be alright. Hewitt will step up to a new level as well.
    But man, that forward line is a mess. Hopefully Franklin and McCartin provide the structure it's missed the last two weeks, because it's looked shambolic at times.
    I think Heeney will play a lot of midfield, today may have been different as he started there and then got injured in the first contest so probably why he played more forward?

But the real key to us not needing Heeney in the forward line in my opinion will be a fit Menzel. If he can hold down a medium forward position and kick regular goals like we are hoping from him then there will be less reliance on Heeney to go down there when we need a goal or 2 and hopefully he'll only spend a few rests forward which will also add to another element of danger for the opposition.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

From what Longmire said in his ‘press’ conference (no journalists turned up) it sounds as if Reid was a bit sick in the stomach, hence he was taken off early (particularly given the heat).

Also Heeney rolled his ankle right at the start of the match, was able to keep playing but was taken off early. Doesn’t sound like a longer-term issue.

Longmire was very praising of Aliir. Said Blakey not a certainty for week 1, depends on what develops over the next two weeks (usual caginess by the coach).
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere earlier in the week that Reid and another player had a bout of gastro so that may explain it?

Just scoured through a couple of articles of found one from the telegraph on the 7th that stated that Longmire was hopeful the that Reid and Thurlow would recover from a bout of gastro to play this week.

May explain a bit about there performance and is a relief that there probably isn't anything more serious considering his injury history. Knowing how contagious gastro is it may have effected others (Lloyd, Sinclair?) so hopefully they are all good in a couple of weeks!

Veterans List
    Not ‘our’ McCartin, but this is terrible news. I feel for McCartin’s parents, must be dreadful watching this happen over & over. And of course dreadful for both brothers.

“PADDY McCartin will be sidelined for the remainder of St Kilda's JLT Community Series clash with the Western Bulldogs after yet another concussion scare.

McCartin fell to the turf just two minutes before the main break after copping the brunt of teammate Ben Long's hip in a marking contest on the wing.

After taking several seconds to regain his feet, McCartin was helped to the nearby bench by Saints trainers before removing his helmet and undergoing assessment.”

St Kilda forward sits outs second half after concussion scare Saints take cautious approach after McCartin head knock - AFL.com.au
    I feel for him.....he seemed primed to really 'arrive' this season. I hope he's ok.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast