Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Team Selection R1 v Bulldogs

Whilst Buddy and Reid are tall, they aren't exactly slow.

Being tall doesn't mean slow. Usain Bolt is 195cm.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    If the backline lines up as listed..... Mills Grundy Melican, McVeigh ,Rampe, Lloyd ....Not one quick player among them....

It worries me, such a slow, tall team we've picked.

The Dogs will try to exploit this with run and carry and lots of pressure.
    Sorry to be picky, Ernie but Rampe is very quick...I saw one of those tracking data thingies for one of our games last year which measures distance, burst and top speed...Rampe at top speed was the fastest player on the field. Having said that he’s not a player who would normally lock down a quick small forward

Transitions and exits are fascinating

We tend to like to short kick in whenever we can and start from that 25m out etc

Then it plays to our strengths of fast players to pass to rather then fast players coming out of defence and importantly AA, macca, Lloyd are are good 360 degree post up decision players to run off around HBF

I think the new kick out rules give a big advtange to having an extra tall or two receiving the next long kick when exiting

It’s hard to defend against

But that’s only one option for the exits because as we all know we love a bomb down the line to a contest also

Can’t wait to see how teams adapt to the new rule and show what’s they have worked on via the off season re exits and defending etc

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

That's true. But it's that nippy, burst of pace to exit a contest, change of direction then straight back to top pace...

That's mostly(not always) little guy stuff...Florent has it, Jones has it, Papley has it.

I'd like to see at least 1 more of these types in the side on Saturday.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    As people have mentioned above, I'm surprised that we have gone so tall.
    Also surprised that Melican is in the backline, as I think that O'Riordan has had better recent form and provides more escape velocity. Possibly another late change?
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Melican is the only selection I'm really stumped with. The Dogs dont have a tall backline so it's not like he's needed. He's down on form and is not that quick either. I think he's a great player but he needs to regain form in the Reserves.
    Agree with both these posts....I too was surprised Melican was selected. His pre season was average.....he should be in the two's for now. I feel for COR.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    That’s the problem , not many options haha. Jack ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let's go with Stevie J then - I'd prefer him over Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

Bolt would be tough to stick with on a long lead!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Let's go with Stevie J then - I'd prefer him over Jack
    That could work ! Seriously though depending on how he goes in the 2’s, Rowbottom has some zip and seems to have some goal sense too , could be a role for him if he bangs the door down in the twos over the next few weeks ( assuming Ronke doesn’t earn his place back soon )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Does anyone know if Buddy was sighted at the airport?

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    That could be correct ugg. Although our big forwards are not really slow. Papley will be busy. O'Riordan the unluckiest I feel.
    It could be an issue based on the two games so far this round. The new 6/6/6 rule has opened up the play quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    It could be an issue based on the two games so far this round. The new 6/6/6 rule has opened up the play quite a bit.
    The talls have benefitted from this no end so far. Tiger picked three tall forwards. So did Carlton and the talls for them did well.

Certainly if you have running players on the wings that are super quick you are going to benefit. I certainly would not play Dawson on the wing. Cunningham, Jones and Clarke.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    There is only one team that consistently makes us look slow and that is GWS.....thru the middle
    Being slow in defence is a furphy
    Melican turns Lloyd and Rampe into runners, crazy people asking why is he playing
    Talls in our fwd line change it heaps, still remember everyone whinging when Buddy (who cant mark) was the only tall target. Now we have multiple.

Our mids are faster and with 6 6 6 we wont have teams flooding space in front of our talls

Value Ronke above cunningham but reckon he will get there eventually, only hard done by player is Thurlow based on JLT
    Didn't Cunningham finish about 10th in our B&F last year? I've never really been a fan but the coaches must be very happy with him.