Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 2 Swans vs Crows Fri 29-Mar at SCG #AFLSwansCrows @sydneyswans

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, can't make too many panicky team changes. As I tend to think that we have the basis of a good team, but we're just missing a bit of cohesion and confidence. A win or two, and we may get on a roll. Tonight, whenever the momentum started to swing towards us, a confidence sapping umpiring decision reared its ugly head.
    Pretty much this. We were just a tiny bit less clean with our ball handling skills than the Crows, just slightly slower at reacting to the drop of the ball, just slightly poorer at getting players to contests, and just slightly worse at missing tackles (or better at missing tackles). It all adds up and saps the confidence somewhat, but we only need a handful of players to improve by a small margin and better football will follow.

The umpiring was frustrating as. It was signalled with a free to Walker in the first quarter for being out of position in a marking contest and flailing in the air, and carried on all night. I have no idea what some of the decisions against us were for but I am sure others will provide an autopsy over the next few days. However, I did just want to comment on a couple of acts by our two oldest and most experienced players out there this evening. They were both among our better contributors tonight, so my criticisms are specific to a few instances.

Firstly, the 100m penalty rule is dumb, but players trying to milk a 100m penalty by veering off course and deliberately running into an opposition player is not on for me. The umpires fell for it in a JLT game but weren't going to fall for McVeigh's attempt tonight. I expect better from him. (It wasn't helped by the fact his mind was clearly not on the next passage of play, given he then proceeded to kick the ball 15m to an unmarked Crows player.

Secondly, I know a lot of players play for frees, and appeal for frees, particularly when they get frustrated. And I'm sure Buddy was as frustrated by the umpiring tonight as we were, sitting in the stands. But twice (at least) he just fell over with minimal contact from an opponent and voraciously appealed for a free kick. You're better than that Lance. Leave that for the mere mortals. (I also don't think I've seen him blatantly duck into a tackle as he did once this evening - and actually fooled the umpire and kicked a wonderful goal from it. Another thing I hope doesn't become a regular part of his game. He's too good to resort to that).

Not only do I not like the poor sportsmanship of incidents like these, it also sends a poor message to the younger players. Team do get shafted by the umpiring from time to time, and sometimes possibly perceive they are getting shafted even when they're not. But there's little they can do to control that. The players just need to move on from decisions that go against them, and play the next passage of the game. A lot has been said about the 2016 GF umpiring but the 2012 umpiring was almost as bad. Yet the team still won the game because they didn't let it affect them. If the leaders of the team don't ignore it, and just keep their concentration on what they can control, how can we expect the younger players to do so.

Having said that, it was wonderful to see Buddy starting to get some touch back. He showed tonight that he's got a lot of quality football left in him yet. He's not quite up to full speed yet, but a few of his plays tonight were exquisite.

As disappointed as I am with the result, I was encouraged by tonight's game. The team was much better than last week and will continue to improve. The Swans have a bunch of youngsters on the team and I was impressed with the energy of Ronke and Blakey, in particular. The mid-field came together in the middle of the game and really took command. Unfortunately, the officiating (again) was uninspired. I do get frustrated at the last few years of the AFL and NRL treating the umpiring like special flowers when they are criticized. They are supposed to be the best in the world at what they do and they were ordinary...they should be held to account. If the Swans continue to progress, I would expect them to have a solid win next week.

I chuckled when I saw the chart of the last six times the Swans went 0-2. Made Finals every time. If this list stays healthy, it will be competitive... there are 20 games to go!

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    If that's the case then Jack, Macca and Grundy should see out the year in the NEAFL.
    Yep. Provided we retain enough experience and leadership in the seniors to assist in the development of the youngsters.

Senior Player
    Not to talk up the opposition, but the Seedsman torp was quite impressive. Just got home to see the replay - not unlike the famous Bradshaw goal, from a similar position.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I presume you mean recruited from other AFL clubs?

Based on his 2 games (where much of the team was ordinary)? Reserve judgement ‘til he’s had a career at the Swans the length and quality of Derickx, Chambers, Daffy, Aaron Rogers, Talia, Shaun Edwards, Chris Obst, Stephen Tingay
    I reckon he fits right in with that lot. Off to the NEAFL for the term of his contract please.

Back from the game and with a couple of Scotches - the umpiring still has me fuming. It was disgusting, cheating, crap whatever you want to call it.

Horse has to get the umpires coach up to Sydney and blast the proverbial out of him.

Worse umpiring since 2016GF

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    We’ve never been so dependent on the young players as we are this year. I think the Hanners, Mitchell situation stuffed our plans. Also wonder if Hewett was meant to be an onballer by now rather than a tagger/defensive forward?
    +1.

I said at the time that Mitchell was going to be a gun and that we should have traded Hanners or Parker to make way for him (at the time they were equal IMO).. Yet, I was ridiculed. I'm not saying that Parker and Hanners haven't been great for us; I am saying that both had excellent trade value at that time and that Mitchell was going to be better than either of them. And I was right.

I think that we went through a period there where we were scared of turning our list over for fear of screwing it up. Compare that to Hawthorn who were very happy to take a short term risk and take a strategic view of their list.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    +1.

I said at the time that Mitchell was going to be a gun and that we should have traded Hanners or Parker to make way for him (at the time they were equal IMO).. Yet, I was ridiculed. I'm not saying that Parker and Hanners haven't been great for us; I am saying that both had excellent trade value at that time and that Mitchell was going to be better than either of them. And I was right.

I think that we went through a period there where we were scared of turning our list over for fear of screwing it up. Compare that to Hawthorn who were very happy to take a short term risk and take a strategic view of their list.

That is assuming Mitchell wanted to stay...everything I have read seems to indicated he had every intention of going to Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Well said. And well done Harley for this very strong statement: Club Statement - sydneyswans.com.au.
    Bloody hell. The club responds about the offence created by a poor coin toss yet remains silent about the years of incompetence/corruption by the AFL in regards to the umpiring. The club needs to get their priorities right. Bloody pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    That is assuming Mitchell wanted to stay...everything I have read seems to indicated he had every intention of going to Victoria.
    Yes, but only because we didn't have the cap space to pay him what he was worth. Mitchell wanted to stay. The Tippett deal was the main reason for this but we could have made room if we had the balls to make the tough decisions.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    Back from the game and with a couple of Scotches - the umpiring still has me fuming. It was disgusting, cheating, crap whatever you want to call it.

Horse has to get the umpires coach up to Sydney and blast the proverbial out of him.

Worse umpiring since 2016GF
    Meredith is the same ump from 2016 gf.
    Meredith is the same ump who paid the free for holding the ball in the 3rd quarter of this game.
    You tell me what you think of him. I think hes a piece of @@@@.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I see the poor umpiring as a positive. It shows that we are a better team than the score suggests.

We are at least a few years away from being premiership contenders, so why don't we just relax and see how the team develops.
    ....and when we are, we'll get shafted.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    2 ways to look at season 2019: one a massive disappointment, two a key development year.

Is it finally time to say “rebuild”?
    We've been sort of rebuilding for a couple of years now.....it's just not coming to fruition fast enough.

I think game plan is the main problem though.....