Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 2 Swans vs Crows Fri 29-Mar at SCG #AFLSwansCrows @sydneyswans

Have the AFL admitted the first 50m penalty was incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Don't be silly. That would be admitting they were wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

What a crap game that was.
    Again, too much, too little, too late.

If we don't beat Carlton, I'll get VERY worried.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Don't be silly. That would be admitting they were wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

What a crap game that was.
    Again, too much, too little, too late.

If we don't beat Carlton, I'll get VERY worried.
    On current form it's only a 50/50 proposition!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Maybe teams that play the ball, and get to the ball first more often than not, are more likely to be on the positive side of the ledger in the free kick count. A team that is more defensively focused and coached, that is often more worried about their opponent than getting first use of the ball, and is playing a more reactive game style, is probably going to lose out in the free kick count. No conspiracies here I'm afraid.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. If you can't win the ball in the centre then you're going to be doing a lot of heavy defending. It doesn't matter how good your D50 defence is eventually the dam will break.

Chris Scott is on record as saying one of their aims this year is to lock the ball in the forward 50. Makes sense to me.

On Ch 7 they put up a graphic about how much running was done by the Swans back 6 compared to the Crows forwards. A serious difference. Yes, a change of game plan is needed. It starts with 'get the ball and keep it'

Swans won many of the key stats v Adelaide including disposals, inside 50s

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    On current form it's only a 50/50 proposition!
    70/30... their way.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    70/30... their way.
    Lol, I love your optimism Annie!

I'm planning on making the trek to Marvel this week so hopefully we put in a better effort than the first 2 rounds

It is frustrating hearing Longmire continue with his "there's no tricks", "you just need to work through it" mantra, when you look at what teams like Richmond, Collingwood and now even Geelong have done in recent years when they acknowledge their weaknesses and make some substantial changes.

We'll have a forward line with Franklin, Reid, McCartin, Blakey and Heeney, and still persevere with a game plan which gets us stuck in a back pocket for half the game with no forwards in our front half.

It's also a bit tough to complain about the "lack of polish" when half of our team are late draft picks or off the Rookie List (and we have a game plan which they have been given opportunities in because of their competitiveness, but not skill level) - it's just a logical result of the type of players we've recruited.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post

It's also a bit tough to complain about the "lack of polish" when half of our team are late draft picks or off the Rookie List (and we have a game plan which they have been given opportunities in because of their competitiveness, but not skill level) - it's just a logical result of the type of players we've recruited.
    The players we have recruited has also, to an extent, been determined by our access to early draft picks. The other teams who have been up towards the top of the ladder for a sustained period in Geelong and Hawthorn - have been better able to attract mature talent to their lists to make up for lack of early draft pick access. Having said that, we have been fortunate to have access to three players who, under normal drafting circumstances, we wouldn't have had access to. One is still too new/young to make a big difference but the other two should be capable of injecting some class into the middle of the ground.

I don't buy into the "game plan" issue as much as others. I think that's more about tweaking than the fundamentals of the game. Where the team has really dropped off in the last couple of seasons is in applying pressure. All teams try to do this but for some it's more critical than others, and some are better at it than others. From 2012-2016 - the period when we made three grand finals - the team was consistently able to apply immense pressure all over the ground. Those teams weren't any more skilled than our current one, but turnovers matter less because they were able to win the ball back, frequently in the front half of the ground. And pressure can be a positive feedback system - if a team applies sufficient physical pressure, the inferred pressure on the opposition develops to the point when they create turnovers for the other team without much physical pressure.

That physical pressure has dropped right off. The team does it for short periods, but can't sustain it over a game. That might be personnel (ie younger players) but I doubt that's the only explanation. I think they've "forgotten" what it means and feels like to apply sustained pressure over the course of a whole game. Get that back and the team will start winning again.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't buy into the "game plan" issue as much as others. I think that's more about tweaking than the fundamentals of the game. Where the team has really dropped off in the last couple of seasons is in applying pressure. All teams try to do this but for some it's more critical than others, and some are better at it than others. From 2012-2016 - the period when we made three grand finals - the team was consistently able to apply immense pressure all over the ground. Those teams weren't any more skilled than our current one, but turnovers matter less because they were able to win the ball back, frequently in the front half of the ground. And pressure can be a positive feedback system - if a team applies sufficient physical pressure, the inferred pressure on the opposition develops to the point when they create turnovers for the other team without much physical pressure.

That physical pressure has dropped right off. The team does it for short periods, but can't sustain it over a game. That might be personnel (ie younger players) but I doubt that's the only explanation. I think they've "forgotten" what it means and feels like to apply sustained pressure over the course of a whole game. Get that back and the team will start winning again.
    The other main variable is an ability to win contested ball, which we are significantly weaker in compared to years gone by. If you're winning at least your share of that, and then are applying immense pressure to the opposition when they have it, you're in a strong position. In fact, the turnovers can often be a result of your pressure causing the ball to go back into a contested situation, which you then win - not necessarily the ball just dropping free and you running off with it.

Otherwise, as is what we're finding now, we just don't win enough of the ball - so opposition are in control more often (and to a greater extent when they are). It's almost impossible to apply enough pressure across a whole game if you're not in control of enough ball. And in terms of field position, even when you cause turnovers, they will generally be in weaker positions limiting how much damage we can do.

That would be my biggest concern moving forward - our recruiting has focused on outside players and 'pressure forward' types, so for all the exciting youth, there aren't enough good inside prospects. Rowbottom actually looks OK but we can't expect too much too soon, but otherwise we're really relying on the likes of Heeney and Mills becoming permanent midfielders right now.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The other main variable is an ability to win contested ball, which we are significantly weaker in compared to years gone by. If you're winning at least your share of that, and then are applying immense pressure to the opposition when they have it, you're in a strong position. In fact, the turnovers can often be a result of your pressure causing the ball to go back into a contested situation, which you then win - not necessarily the ball just dropping free and you running off with it.

Otherwise, as is what we're finding now, we just don't win enough of the ball - so opposition are in control more often (and to a greater extent when they are). It's almost impossible to apply enough pressure across a whole game if you're not in control of enough ball. And in terms of field position, even when you cause turnovers, they will generally be in weaker positions limiting how much damage we can do.

That would be my biggest concern moving forward - our recruiting has focused on outside players and 'pressure forward' types, so for all the exciting youth, there aren't enough good inside prospects. Rowbottom actually looks OK but we can't expect too much too soon, but otherwise we're really relying on the likes of Heeney and Mills becoming permanent midfielders right now.
    I agree with you in part. I don't think we've ever been as good a contested ball winning team as some (particularly in the media) thought we were. I reckon we've always just been middle of the road. But because we were able to neutralise the situation enough when we lost, we landed up with sufficient absolute numbers of contests won over the course of the game.

I think we've dropped off a little in this area but not drastically. People can quote where we are on the league ladder of contested ball winners, and I'd agree we need to be higher, but it's based off a small sample so far this game, and I suspect most teams are fairly bunched together. Furthermore, we just need a small number of players to up their game in this department to move closer to the middle of the pack. Pressure, on the other hand, is something the whole team needs to apply as a group. Even if you have 16 players doing their bit, it only takes one or two not delivering in this department to negate the efforts of the rest.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    First time ever Longmire has had a go at the umpiring. If you pay a free kick one way you must pay the free kick to the opposition team as well. It's about time the rub of the Green goes our way. I remember at one stage it was 11 to 1 ratio. Guess even he is getting fed up with the same story. I wonder if the swans will ever get 11 frees to the opposition's one? Yep not in my lifetime. When pigs start flying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk