Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 2 Swans vs Crows Fri 29-Mar at SCG #AFLSwansCrows @sydneyswans

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I presume you mean recruited from other AFL clubs?

Based on his 2 games (where much of the team was ordinary)? Reserve judgement ‘til he’s had a career at the Swans the length and quality of Derickx, Chambers, Daffy, Aaron Rogers, Talia, Shaun Edwards, Chris Obst, Stephen Tingay
    Urg - Daffy ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both teams we have played have pushed ahead of Sydney players at contests and off HBF just way too easily

This separation is always a two way street.....generally high risk high reward

If we win the ball the the opposition is in serious trouble for sprinting ahead of the ball. Yet the bulldogs dominated winning the ball

The HBFs at Adelaide and thebullogs made us look like reserve grade teams and my concern is two fold

1. Teams know that they can be bold against us and go immediately into an offensive mode by pushing away and separating at the contests. This is embarrassing that teams consider this tactic so achievable and so far both the bulldogs and Adelaide fearlessly executed

2. Is our midfield so weak ? I feel it is a grave decision not to have Heeney and Mills in their hunting for the ball - Papley and Clarke are so far behind the quality midfields in the Comp and we need to be a bit more respectful of the midfield contest

We have lost two games against two teams that I would have liked to think we can finish higher then on the ladder

If we loose another two games I am 100% sure we will see us develop even more for the future by altering a player selections

That means :

McCartin playing

Mills and Heeney 75% of game time in the midfield

Jones back on the HBF Like last night he played 50/50 HBF midfield and this helped our transition

Maybe even Florent on the HBF ? Flooding forward as he is a jet or if McCartin is playing well enough get blakey off HBF for 2019 as he would be seriously exciting with intercepts speed and kicking

We can’t have lloyd macca and Smith in the backline soon and we are struggling with lloyd and macca right now so let’s keep blooding our future now / the dogs and Adelaide showed us with fast streaming forward HBFs leaving players like macca etc who are slow and in defence just grasping air once the opposition transition the opposite way
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 30th March 2019 at 07:17 AM.

HS review of the game, which includes Eddie's coin toss blunder. It doesn't mention the horrendous umpiring other than the costly McVeigh decision in the 3rd quarter, which was a huge momentum game changer:

Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

“An aging midfield needs the boost Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills can provide”

AFL website article by Curley this morn comments as above

When issac went into the midfield last night the momentum changed and his presence was obvious in the contest

15 and 16 disposals for mills and Heeney is just not enough influence on the game for good decision makers

Yes u can argue that less is more if it is high quality but the counter arguement is if inferior players are not using the ball well then let’s make sure our best players have the ball more

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Pretty much this. We were just a tiny bit less clean with our ball handling skills than the Crows, just slightly slower at reacting to the drop of the ball, just slightly poorer at getting players to contests, and just slightly worse at missing tackles (or better at missing tackles). It all adds up and saps the confidence somewhat, but we only need a handful of players to improve by a small margin and better football will follow.
    That's a reasonable observation. I thought it just seemed we were slightly off the pace with everything, I found the game obviously frustrating, but also relatively encouraging.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Both teams we have played have pushed ahead of Sydney players at contests and off HBF just way too easily

This separation is always a two way street.....generally high risk high reward

If we win the ball the the opposition is in serious trouble for sprinting ahead of the ball. Yet the bulldogs dominated winning the ball

The HBFs at Adelaide and thebullogs made us look like reserve grade teams and my concern is two fold

1. Teams know that they can be bold against us and go immediately into an offensive mode by pushing away and separating at the contests. This is embarrassing that teams consider this tactic so achievable and so far both the bulldogs and Adelaide fearlessly executed

2. Is our midfield so weak ? I feel it is a grave decision not to have Heeney and Mills in their hunting for the ball - Papley and Clarke are so far behind the quality midfields in the Comp and we need to be a bit more respectful of the midfield contest

We have lost two games against two teams that I would have liked to think we can finish higher then on the ladder

If we loose another two games I am 100% sure we will see us develop even more for the future by altering a player selections

That means :

McCartin playing

Mills and Heeney 75% of game time in the midfield

Jones back on the HBF Like last night he played 50/50 HBF midfield and this helped our transition

Maybe even Florent on the HBF ? Flooding forward as he is a jet or if McCartin is playing well enough get blakey off HBF for 2019 as he would be seriously exciting with intercepts speed and kicking

We can’t have lloyd macca and Smith in the backline soon and we are struggling with lloyd and macca right now so let’s keep blooding our future now / the dogs and Adelaide showed us with fast streaming forward HBFs leaving players like macca etc who are slow and in defence just grasping air once the opposition transition the opposite way
    You are 100% correct. Both WB and Crows seem to exit defence with impunity. The forward tackling pressure exerted by Ronke, Papley and Hayward has been minimal. Bringing Jack might help in the short term but can we not do what alot of other clubs do too and park one of our young pacy mids in there with one job - tackle everything that moves. Stoddart, McInerney, Rowbottom, Florent are all options. It also gets some AFL gametime and experience into our draftees, which I think is preferable to the NEAFL. No point getting 30+ touches in NEAFL then stinking it up when called into 1st's.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    but can we not do what alot of other clubs do too and park one of our young pacy mids in there with one job - tackle everything that moves. Stoddart, McInerney, Rowbottom, Florent are all options.
    Why will it be successful parking Stoddart, McInerney or Rowbottom there with an instruction to tackle everything that moves if it isn't parking Ronke and Hayward there?

One of our issues is the lack of effectiveness of tackling all over the ground and, in part, this can be attributed to the number of young, immature bodies we have out there. I'd hoped it would improve a bit this season compared to last but the early evidence is that it hasn't. But I don't think you can expect any of the similarly immature frames of Stoddart, McInerney or Rowbottom to fare any differently.

For more than a decade now, the Swans' ability to effectively apply pressure all over the ground was a major factor in us being a very good side. Our midfield has never been the most skilled, disposal wise, so has always been prone to turnovers, but they were generally able to apply supreme pressure to win the ball back. Now we can't. But throwing another young body into the fray can't be the answer.

Senior Player
    On the first 2 rounds of football we are a 50/50 proposition against Carlton next week

Where we go to from there if we lose that as well will be interesting

Swans have kicked 17 goals in 4 hours so far. Have to work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Keep in mind we have played the 3rd most debutants in the competition over the last 3 years and those debutants have played the most games in the competition, so there's no question Longmire is willing to give the kids a go. However it's also important what roles/positions these debutants are given with their development and also help rectify our team weaknesses in the process, as you've correctly suggested in your full post AG.

Regular in the Side
    another game of poor play by swans (turnovers out of back line (lloyd a culprit again how is he a B&F winner), booting it high into fwd line).Who is our recruiter how did we pick Clarke he should be banished to the NEAFL never to return. Pathetic coaches again moving AA to ruck dont change our backline leave it be let them get used to playing together.
    COR just ok obviously someone didnt explain to him the 5o metre rule in irish, players were told to back off and make sure someone down the field pick up mark. Bring in thurlow a half back. I am giving up on the umpires, they are useless but its no use compalining we ar the swans after all the afl and reporters dont care about us.