Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 6 Swans v Giants Sat 27-Apr at SCG #AFLSwansGiants @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Reflecting on last night's performance and earlier ones this season, the player I'm most concerned about is Mills. We drafted him in 2015 and he had 2 good season's to start his career. Last year was written off due to injury. Not withstanding, his start to this year has seen him go backwards. He lacks poise coming out of defence, summed up by a bad hand ball when we had run to a marked player, when he should've backed himself to run and carry. He has had some awful clangers, gifting turn over goals and dropped some very easy marks. At times he has been very indecisive, getting pinged for holding the ball or causing a turnover. Definitely not the player of 2015/16. Perhaps that's why the coaches are not confident in playing him in the midfield? Others from his draft are really hitting their straps (Hopper being one of them, even our own Dawson) yet he is just average at best.
    Play him in the middle and free him from his defensive pressures! Horse must do it or move on as far as I'm concerned! If he continues this path his confidence may be that shot he'll never be any good!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    It's easy to understand what's happening. Half those in the team has played less than fifty games. We cleaned out the blokes in the middle age group because they won't play in our next premiership. Robbo, AJ, Deano, Hanners, Newman, Gazza. They have been replaced with KIDS, so time to be patient. It's not rocket science!
    Too many on here spoilt by our last 15-20 years. Sense of entitlement, too ready to point the finger and no patience. Never thought I'd see this from South/Swans fans.

Definitely agree Sinclair needs help in the ruck. He’s actually one of best heart and soul players , can’t fault his effort at all and always contributes around the ground but is getting smoked in the ruck contests. Is Cameron a good tap ruckman ? If so get him in and let Sinkers play some time at full forward ( alternating ruck as well) , he’d be good for two goals a game and would straighten us up a little. Our long bomb strategy might actually work if he’s the target. Love Dawson , he’s improved almost every game since he came back in. Thinking he’s best suited as an on baller so let’s start playing him there more. Maybe by this time next year he’ll be being talked about like Taranto and hopper , if he gets a chance to show what he can do in the position he kills in the NEAFL. No reason to keep him out of there , even If it means Joey moves out of the guts. We should be following Geelongs lead and reducing the centre bounce attendances of our older midfielders and getting experience into the future brigade. This is the perfect year to do that as I don’t think there are any expectations , internally or externally about us playing finals now. I want to see development , even if it means I have to watch hidings. Don’t care , faster we do it the faster we get back into contention. Mills has to be given an extended midfield run now too, and COR surely has to come in to his spot. We need to know if Mills is the player we thought he was going to be . Keep Rowbottom in ahead of Jack and maybe give anyone performing in the NEAFL Ronkes spot. He is a shell of his 2018 self. Happy to not see any of Grundy , Macca, Smith or Jack back in the side this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my major frustrations is the way horse brings in new players and plays them out of position. The club has now turned it into a thing. The hybrid role. I find this really annoying.

Dawson happy as hybrid - sydneyswans.com.au

I can't help but feel this has contributed to our nextgen of young players not establishing themselves.

Trying to be positive about what comes next not down about what is happening now. Seeing steady development of our players helps that. This isn't helping development.

- - - Updated - - -

One of my major frustrations is the way horse brings in new players and plays them out of position. The club has now turned it into a thing. The hybrid role. I find this really annoying.

Dawson happy as hybrid - sydneyswans.com.au

I can't help but feel this has contributed to our nextgen of young players not establishing themselves.

Trying to be positive about what comes next not down about what is happening now. Seeing steady development of our players helps that. This isn't helping development.

Very poor effort last - skill errors everywhere, we fumbled, dropped marks, handballed to opposition, couldn't hit a target and gave away many easy goals.

We need to bring more pace into our slow moving attack and don't leave our forwards to compete against 2 or 3players. There were so many occasions where we kicked to the forward line, only to have 1 Swans against 2-3 GWS. No wonder we cannot score enough goals to try and win a game.

Unfortunately, there is no easy fix.

1.Our once were superstars are not any more. They are still very good but no one, including Buddy, would be in line to be considered in the top 30 players in the comp at the moment.

2. The next group to take over are a year or two away yet - Heeney, Mills, Florent, AA, Jones. They have all shown at times this year that they have the potential but they haven’t consistently played 4 quarters with a 3pt Brownlow performance.

3. Our bottom few are really struggling. Every team has some bottom players that play a role but ours are getting beaten every week. I was so hopeful that Ronke was going to be another rookie jewel but his skills just don’t match his effort. In the 5 games he has played this year, he has managed only 11 effective kicks at a kicking efficiency of 39%. I was high in Clarke too but he also turns it over with really poor skills.

Looking at some of the stats from the game - we had 5 players with 50% or less effective disposal - Clarke was running at 27%. GWS had 1 and that was Greene ! Our skills are the major factor in most of our turnovers and that is what is killing us.

We were smashed in the hit outs and I think it is time we gave Sinkers some help. Play Cameron and let Sinkers rest in the forwards.

Play Mills in the centre and bring in COR at HBF.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Unfortunately, there is no easy fix... I was high in Clarke too.
    Think Longmire needs to stop getting high in Clarke too.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    Looking at some of the stats from the game - we had 5 players with 50% or less effective disposal - Clarke was running at 27%. GWS had 1 and that was Greene ! Our skills are the major factor in most of our turnovers and that is what is killing us.

We were smashed in the hit outs and I think it is time we gave Sinkers some help. Play Cameron and let Sinkers rest in the forwards.

Play Mills in the centre and bring in COR at HBF.
    Yes! Surely that is one simple change. Get rid of Clarke, move Mills to the mids and put COR in defence. Ditto Ronke out replaced with anyone from the NEAFL.

Surely at least one if not two of Melican, McCartin, Blakey has to go out too.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Yes! Surely that is one simple change. Get rid of Clarke, move Mills to the mids and put COR in defence. Ditto Ronke out replaced with anyone from the NEAFL.

Surely at least one if not two of Melican, McCartin, Blakey has to go out too.
    I think C'OR is shaping up as a mid after seeing him play there in then twos.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Shiel would be lucky to have been the third best midfielder at GWS. Miles behind kelly and coniglio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe second behind Kelly,but ahead of coniglio.

From last year GWS have lost lobb, shiel, Scully and... Paton and concrete head (long term injury), while adding mumford.

Swans have lost Rohan, Newman and gained Reid.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I think C'OR is shaping up as a mid after seeing him play there in then twos.
    Worth a try- we are getting slaughtered apart from Kennedy. Parker was ok and looked handy forward. Heeney needs more time in midfield.