Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Horse

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    It's always been like that caj. If you don't tow the party line you're treated like Matt.
    *toe.

Hope that's not regarded as baiting. I say it in a caring way.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    It's always been like that caj. If you don't tow the party line you're treated like Matt.
    Wise words.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    The biggest issue I see with John is that the Swans have by far the worst record over his tenure of having free kicks paid against them and I suspect also though there are no stats to back this also, the worst record of not having free kicks paid to them. Is that a coaching problem, a player problem or an umpiring bias problem? Could also be in part a supporter problem as our fans are not particularly vocal but then nor are GWS and GC they have a better record regarding frees than the Swans. I might be biased but I also think that the Swans are one of the most rule abiding teams playing hard but fair.
    I think this is a very significant issue. One question: was it any better under Paul Roos?

And I think there has been criticism of our pressure style that may well have led to the umpires' perspective.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I don't totally buy the anti-North comments on here. Like all clubs looking for a new coach they would have been crazy not to have a swing at getting Longmire given his record and history at their club. For all we know others clubs like Carlton may have also enquired with his manager, Pickering. Looking at the various reasons cited for hating them, the only one that really grates with me is the visual image of the North cheer squad goading Goodes after his last ever game. That showed a total lack of respect for a champion player and person.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Looking at the various reasons cited for hating them, the only one that really grates with me is the visual image of the North cheer squad goading Goodes after his last ever game. That showed a total lack of respect for a champion player and person.
    We might have a variety of reasons for disliking certain clubs, often they may be personal reasons. They don’t always have to be rational.

Collingwood: stealing so many players from us for 3 decades, Eddie, the Goodes incidence
    Carlton: the 1945 bloodbath grand final, stealing players when we were struggling, trying to get us kicked out of the AFL
    Essendon: the Danihers
    Hawthorn: their supporters, stealing Mitchell, taking good players from struggling clubs
    Bulldogs: 2016, Libba Snr, stealing Josh Dunkley
    GW$: because they exist & were given ridiculously generous concessions

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    We might have a variety of reasons for disliking certain clubs, often they may be personal reasons. They don’t always have to be rational.
    You are absolutely right. It is probably not even a discussion that can be had, in a rational sense, mid-season (or one that will see opinions remain static either).

I used to say that the team I hated most was the one that we play next, but I am not sure that I really hate any club now (although Essendon comes close). I can like or dislike a club based on certain players, their supporters as a whole, people I know or the circumstances around what is happening at the club. It can even be relative to time (I now don't dislike some of the teams that I hated in the moment - I may even admire then in retrospect). It is also much easier to not hate other clubs when you are winning (and they are struggling).

Has this year shown how important a good coach is to a team.
    - lions rocket up the ladder with a good coach bearing fruit.
    - norf far stronger after coach leaves.
    - Carlton far stronger after coach leaves.
    - GWS can't take the next step to premiership. Due to coach?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Has this year shown how important a good coach is to a team.
    - lions rocket up the ladder with a good coach bearing fruit.
    - norf far stronger after coach leaves.
    - Carlton far stronger after coach leaves.
    - GWS can't take the next step to premiership. Due to coach?
    - Swans skills are terrible, cannot score enough goals to win a game, too many players out of form. Due to coach ??

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    - Swans skills are terrible, cannot score enough goals to win a game, too many players out of form. Due to coach ??
    Academic now.
    But skills are only a small part of a premiership team. A game plan, a deep down desire, and a team ethos seem pretty key as well.
    Skill sets havent changed at Norf or Carlton.

Brisbane under Fagan were pretty terrible for a year or two. It takes a while to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Brisbane under Fagan were pretty terrible for a year or two. It takes a while to rebuild.
    15th last year

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    15th last year
    It's academic now but the administration was too conservative and missed the boat on the natural succession of Stuart Dew. That will be something that is paid for for a long while.