Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 9 Kangaroos v Swans Sat 18-May at Blundstone #AFLNorthSwans @sydneyswans

Thinking about Ben Brown and his ludicrous walk-up when kicking a set shot for goal, the protected area that opposition players have to stay out must be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I think that he is the best umpire in the comp. I also like Eleni Gouftis (hope that's the right spelling), she seems impartial and you can clearly here her on the tv broadcasts.
    I usually try to avoid being pedantic, but since you asked, it's, Eleni Glouftsis. And I do agree, she does seem to be a very good umpire.
    Of course now that I've been pedantic, there's bound to a mistake somewhere in my post, that I just can't sea.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yey.....we got a goal from a bodgy free.
    Yes, when I saw that I thought 'we got one back' - doesn't happen often.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I usually try to avoid being pedantic, but since you asked, it's, Eleni Glouftsis. And I do agree, she does seem to be a very good umpire.
    Of course now that I've been pedantic, there's bound to a mistake somewhere in my post, that I just can't sea.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post

Ta, on other sites, when I've tried little jokes like that, it's usually 50/50, on whether somebody will post a reply that recognises my attempt at humour, or somebody leaping in, wanting to point out my dumb mistake.
    On umpires, it's actually hard for me to name others that I like. I think that Mathew Nicholls has improved and that he's usually pretty good. Same with Troy Pannell. There's probably other decent ones, but they just haven't really registered on my consciousness.

On the topic of umpires, and Mathew Nicholls in particular, I read today that there have only ever been about 15 instances of players penalised for abusing umpires and that in three of those instances the target was Mathew Nicholls. Players' least favourite?

Terry Wallace (SEN) thought it was so beautifully done by the Swans how they made late change to bring in Clarke and tag ex-team mate Higgins out of the game. He has no doubt this would've been planned days earlier knowing JPK wouldn't come up, as no way Clarke would've been told just 30 mins before the game he was in & tagging Higgins. Terry added Higgins would've not calculated Clarke being a possible opponent & is stumped why clubs don't tag more often, as he is of the opinion today's footballers just don't handle taggers as well as previous generations. He also gave praise to Robbie Fox who he thought did excellent job quelling Jared Polec after he went on him at 1/4 time. Polec had 14 disposals in the 1st qtr (Jones was on him) & by 3/4 time had only 5 more touches totalling 19. These sort of players are given a job by coaches and told not worry too much how many touches they get themselves, as their performance won't be judged by that.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Terry Wallace (SEN) thought it was so beautifully done by the Swans how they made late change to bring in Clarke and tag ex-team mate Higgins out of the game. He has no doubt this would've been planned days earlier knowing JPK wouldn't come up, as no way Clarke would've been told just 30 mins before the game he was in & tagging Higgins. Terry added Higgins would've not calculated Clarke being a possible opponent & is stumped why clubs don't tag more often, as he is of the opinion today's footballers just don't handle taggers as well as previous generations. He also gave praise to Robbie Fox who he thought did excellent job quelling Jared Polec after he went on him at 1/4 time. Polec had 14 disposals in the 1st qtr (Jones was on him) & by 3/4 time had only 5 more touches totalling 19. These sort of players are given a job by coaches and told not worry too much how many touches they get themselves, as their performance won't be judged by that.
    Fox did a similarly good job on Saad the week before.

Kennedy injured himself during the Dons game, so he was never going to play.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    On the topic of umpires, and Mathew Nicholls in particular, I read today that there have only ever been about 15 instances of players penalised for abusing umpires and that in three of those instances the target was Mathew Nicholls. Players' least favourite?
    I've heard it widely said that the hardest position in our game is Centre Half Forward. I don't believe it: Umpire is easily the hardest.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Missed the game and watched just the first half and the last 5 minutes last night ( I was tired , and had limited time ) but some really great performances in there. Hewitt - has to give the tagging game the ass now , he is a very good inside mid when allowed to be , and maybe could be elite if he’s allowed to go to work at it full time without side jobs. COR - in the first half looked great , quick , taking the game on , quite clean , yes Colin ! Clarke - looked really solid, saw him hit a couple of targets by foot too , well done son ! Lloyd- I’ve said on here isn’t a defender , he proved me wrong in that game . Outmarked some bigger opponents and was tough from what i saw. There were plenty more but it’s probably just rehashing what has been side in previous days. Overall though our skills seemed to be better . Hitting targets by foot, kicking to advantage , enabling an attacking chain to be set off by putting the ball into space to a moving target etc . Is the confidence up after last week ? Perhaps the pressure is the key ; bring that and all the other things take care of themselves ?

Not worried about a top two pick now , that is long gone. I’m not disappointed about that though. When you have the young talent we had on display at the weekend , playing as a team , I’d much rather have them get that winning feeling as a group then add a top two talent to a down and out side next year. Winning is hard to learn, don’t believe me , ask the blue boys . Keep the top two picks thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    So, he took 48 seconds before actually kicking? If I'm understanding you correctly, they'll think themselves damn fools. Imagine what an extra 18 or 25 seconds may have meant at the end of the game! We Bloods supporters were already reaching for the angina tablets!
    I wasn't at the game so I don't know if he took the full 30 seconds before he started his run up. But you are right they could have used those extra seconds at the end of the game!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thinking about Ben Brown and his ludicrous walk-up when kicking a set shot for goal, the protected area that opposition players have to stay out must be huge.
    Good point Meg. I would hope that the umpires would use common sense but can you imagine if one paid a 50 metre penalty because a player was too close? There would be a huge uproar.