Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 11 Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    OTC last night showed Rampe only went over the mark as he jumped in the air, was hardly over at all, not the two metres suggested by some. Reckon the woeful kick by Mayne made the umpire think he'd gone over so he blew the whistle. The post climbing may have been ignorance of the rules, I'm forgiving and forgetting, Captain on Dane.
    Sort of like serving in tennis when the player is airborne on impact but forward of the line .

I was in the stand nearby and was so confused by the free . It iced the game for the pies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Sort of like serving in tennis when the player is airborne on impact but forward of the line .
    Which is legal in tennis but not in footy?? Anyone know?

I too think think Dane has received too much criticism for this. It was a mistake in trying to execute a perfectly legitimate tactic, not a brain fade.

We don’t know it cost the game - in the counterfactual situation in which Rampe stayed behind the line, Mayne might have kicked the goal anyway. It was a perfectly gettable shot.

The couple of missed goals earlier in the quarter were more regrettable in my view. But again they were mistakes in execution, footy is full of them.

I remember a year or two ago Hanners getting crucified for standing a metre too far behind the mark and allowing, from memory a Hawks player, to kick the winning goal.

Errors, small and large, are often overlooked in victory, yet often crucified in defeat.

Imaging if the Essendon & Collingwood results had been reversed. If we’d beaten Collingwood, Dane’s going over the mark I suspect wouldn’t even rate a mention. If we’d lost to Essendon as a result of a 50m paid for climbing the post, I’m fairly certain the mild criticism he’s received on here for that one would be calling for him to be dumped to the NEAFL, cut from the leadership group or maybe even traded.

Victory goggles are somewhat forgiving
    Last edited by goswannies; 28th May 2019 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I remember a year or two ago Hanners getting crucified for standing a metre too far behind the mark and allowing, from memory a Hawks player, to kick the winning goal.
    That’s like the shot after the siren in the Essendon game. Our player, can’t remember who, is at least three metres back from where the ball was marked.

Warming the Bench
    I agree with earlier post,sinclair looks very tired. time for Cameron to be rewarded. Menzel for kennedy and hope McVeigh is back
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Here are my changes:
    Menzel in for Hayward
    McVeigh into defence and which pushes Mills into the mids for JK

Mensel and grassy knoll in.
    McVeigh can stay well away.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Mensel and grassy knoll in.
    McVeigh can stay well away.
    Brodie Grundy or Max Gawn are probably the only 2 ruckmen you’d recruit on a Monday and slot straight into the side the following Saturday. For an away trip to Geelong, no less. And you want a guy that was essentially needed almost 150 in this years draft, and less than 3 years experience at SANFL level to step up?

And injuries aside, Macca is easily in our best 22. If he breaks, he’s one injury closer to retirement and putting a smile on your face. Injury free he helps marshal our inexperienced defence. If he’s ready, play him. He adds value. If he breaks, apart from it being sad for him, we are no worse off next week.

Menzel is a slightly more sensible suggestion, although he’s played less than 2 games of minutes on the ground since the season started.

Grassy knoll has to play. He has been tearing it up at SANFL level which is way above NEAFL. He couldn't do worse than poor old sinkers.

And on McVeigh, our defense has been fine without him, and if you pick him, it's only displacing a youngster. He needs to do a rhyse Shaw and coach from the 2's

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    McVeigh is a proven performer in the backs and organises the group

Not sure the backs are going as well as some suggest, as we are in the wrong end of points against us.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Grassy knoll has to play. He has been tearing it up at SANFL level which is way above NEAFL. He couldn't do worse than poor old sinkers.

And on McVeigh, our defense has been fine without him, and if you pick him, it's only displacing a youngster. He needs to do a rhyse Shaw and coach from the 2's
    Sit down everyone.
    I'm agreeing with Barry.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast