Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 11 Weekly Discussion Thread

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I have no pity after their role in trying to finish us off once and for all in our darkest hour in the 90s.

May they stay in purgatory for many a year if you ask me.
    Absolutely spot on! They hovered over us, waiting for us to die in the 90s so that they could move in on the Sydney market.

Long may they languish at the bottom of the ladder!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I have no pity after their role in trying to finish us off once and for all in our darkest hour in the 90s.

May they stay in purgatory for many a year if you ask me.
    So many commentators are over rating their list, just having a young list doesn't automatically equate to good times ahead. They have a stack of first round picks on their list but not many of them have shown much to indicate they will even make solid players let alone players capable of fulfilling their expected drafted talent. Got a number of key players about to retire as well.

I'm confident they won't be seeing finals for several seasons and I like that thought!

[QUOTE=Sandridge;776497]Absolutely spot on! They hovered over us, waiting for us to die in the 90s so that they could move in on the Sydney market.

Long may they languish at the bottom of the ladder![/QUOTE

It didn't escape me in 2005 after we won our first flag in 72 years, the significance & glee of seeing Carlton finishing as wooden spooners as just a dozen years earlier they wanted to dance on our graves.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Sacking Ratten was a terrible call. From memory their list was overrated back then too.
    Carlton have struggled with the transition from power club to pauper club.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    With just plugger and Roos we went from last to grand final in 2 years.
    The list difference between great and poor is only 2 good players...
    I would have rate Roos and Plugger as slightly better than good
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Absolutely spot on! They hovered over us, waiting for us to die in the 90s so that they could move in on the Sydney market.

Long may they languish at the bottom of the ladder!
    I wonder if we can still count the latest turmoil, as part of John Elliott's legacy? I mean, they've never been a serious premiership threat, since they were done for salary cap breaches, back in 2002.

Warming the Bench
    With all the high draft picks they've had - how can you explain what's going on at Carlton.

Marc Murphy, Bryce Gibbs (now at the Crows), Matty Kreuzer, Jacob Weitering, Sam Walsh; these are just the no. 1 draft picks. Add in Chris Judd. There must be others on their list who were top 10 picks - I just can't think of any.

If Sam Walsh had any sense he wouldn't be seeking a contract extension at Carlton once his initial contract is finished.

Arrogant, entitled club; I'll be happy to see them languish at the bottom forever.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    They were by far the most arrogant club and got their just desserts. Sacking Ratten was the epitome of delusion. Who would have thought that they would be down for so long! Still hard for me to have pity. We used to get many hammerings at Princes Park.
    From memory Ratten got them into the finals but they lost the elimination final. Apparently, he was told they needed to win a final the next year or he would lose his job. Imagine that hanging over your head for a full year. The next year they made the finals again but lost the elimination final - again. And they sacked him. Idiots - who sacks their coach for making finals 2 years in succession. Carlton have been a rabble since.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    With all the high draft picks they've had - how can you explain what's going on at Carlton.

Marc Murphy, Bryce Gibbs (now at the Crows), Matty Kreuzer, Jacob Weitering, Sam Walsh; these are just the no. 1 draft picks. Add in Chris Judd. There must be others on their list who were top 10 picks - I just can't think of any.

If Sam Walsh had any sense he wouldn't be seeking a contract extension at Carlton once his initial contract is finished.

Arrogant, entitled club; I'll be happy to see them languish at the bottom forever.
    I too am happy to see Carlton languishing and have little sympathy for them for similar reasons. However, they do have a lot of talent, as you point out, Sandrevan. There other high draft picks include Cripps, Paddy Dow, Petrevski-Seton, Kennedy, McKay, O'Brien, Plowman, Marchbank, Picket, Setterfield and Charlie Curnow. I think except for Curnow and Cripps, who slid to 12 and 13 respectively, these were all top 10 draft selections. Then there's Stocker who they picked up last year end of first round but who they rated the 6th best player. Plus they have Hugh Goddard on their list who was a top KPD as a junior who was forecast to be a top 5 draft pick during his draft year (but who ultimately slid to the beginning of the second round I think). From this mob the KPPs include Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman down back and McKay and Curnow forward with the likes of Cripps, Walsh, Petrevski-Seton et al in the midfield makes for some real hopes for a bright future.

There is a fair bit of schadenfreude in them having traded away the #1 draft pick, especially when one of the two candidates for that pick is a mad Carlton supporter (Rowell). I only hope that they don't succeed in pointing to their record of failure as being a basis for getting a compo pick (which would presumably be pick 2). While their record is abysmal it seems entirely their own doing and likely to turn around rather than a situation like where the Lions had all their high draft pick talent leaving them to 'go home' where I felt a fair bit more sympathy for that claim.

Veterans List
    Big story in the Hun today regarding making the 1870-1896 VFA period of Australian Rules history officially included in VFL/AFL history. If it happens, the South Melbourne/Sydney Swans will be recognised as having won 10 premierships, a 5 premiership increase. Not too bad! Geelong will gain 7 premierships....and Carlton will gain 6 and go to the top of the GF winning ladder. The Magpies will gain only one.....so get ready for Eddie to do all in his power to stop this move.

SMFC/SydneySwans.....ten premierships!! Go SWANS!!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Big story in the Hun today regarding making the 1870-1896 VFA period of Australian Rules history officially included in VFL/AFL history. If it happens, the South Melbourne/Sydney Swans will be recognised as having won 10 premierships, a 5 premiership increase. Not too bad! Geelong will gain 7 premierships....and Carlton will gain 6 and go to the top of the GF winning ladder. The Magpies will gain only one.....so get ready for Eddie to do all in his power to stop this move.

SMFC/SydneySwans.....ten premierships!! Go SWANS!!
    And will other interstate clubs get credit for their wins?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    And will other interstate clubs get credit for their wins?
    Maybe the Brisbane Lions may pick up Fitzroy's but I'm not sure they were there from the start or if they came into the new 'VFA', once the VFL split away from it or if Fitzroy even has any to add anyway.....but as for the others, no, because they didn't play in the earliest years of the VFA.....and that is fair enough.

The history of the current national league, the AFL, can only be traced back to the VFA/VFL days and has nothing to do with the WAFL, SANFL etc.....besides the Lions and Swans (and Port Adelaide who were not connected to the VFA/VFL anyway), all the other interstate teams have no connection to the AFL/VFL/VFA or any other league for that matter.....as before joining the 'AFL', they did not even exist. They have NO prior history.....
    Last edited by stevoswan; 5th June 2019 at 07:26 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast