Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Callum Mills

Goes up to 11
    He was an absolute standout inside mid when in U18s so it is a bit of a shame he's not able to develop that part of his game with the big boys yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    He was an absolute standout inside mid when in U18s so it is a bit of a shame he's not able to develop that part of his game with the big boys yet.
    I remember someone on here said he plays mid in a similar style to Pendlebury - now that would be fantastic if that's where he ends up long term.
    I guess if he ends up being the next Nick Smith though, that's still an excellent outcome. Smith has been great, one of my favourites for a while.

Senior Player
    I don't think anyone's writing him off at this point even though he has failed to live up to expectations

The big thing for me is that I hope he's not being paid on potential. It would be frustrating if a big chunk of the salary cap is being chewed up on a dime a dozen half back flanker who doesn't appear to have any standout weapons for that position.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I don't think anyone's writing him off at this point even though he has failed to live up to expectations

The big thing for me is that I hope he's not being paid on potential. It would be frustrating if a big chunk of the salary cap is being chewed up on a dime a dozen half back flanker who doesn't appear to have any standout weapons for that position.
    "A dime a dozen half back flanker who doesn't appear to have any standout weapons."

It actually does sound like you've written him off.....

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    "A dime a dozen half back flanker who doesn't appear to have any standout weapons."

It actually does sound like you've written him off.....
    LOL, not at all

The fact that I don't think he is/will be an elite defender isn't writing him off, another poster earlier in the thread already listed his shortcomings in defence.

Personally I think its criminal that he hasn't had any opportunity to play midfield, IMO Longmire overrates what he provides down back.

As for the salary cap issue, I stand by my point that you don't pay big bucks to an average defender and Mills wouldn't be lucky to be rated in the top 50 defenders in the league

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Yes, as a lot here have said why not give him a real hard go in the midfield as we are not going to make the 8 anyway but the club must think his future is elsewhere in the field. I think my expectations have been too high on Callum but i don't subscribe to some here who think he will be the next messiah and can't do anything wrong . I think he is prone to panic when under pressure from the top sides and he does lack a bit of speed but he will be a very competent AFL footballer when he matures. You can call him elite if you want just as long the club is not paying him elite money.

It is crazy to suggest that what a person displays as a 17 year old, is a guaranteed lock of their adult output.
    Just look at the last n drafts to see that draft order is only a loose correlation to champion. Very loose.

As a 23 year old, he has cemented his place in an AFL side, and will improve over the next 3 years.
    In fact, any improvement from here will be a bonus.

Give the kid a break. Being an early draft pick must be a horrible burden.

Veterans List
    LOL, not at all

The fact that I don't think he is/will be an elite defender isn't writing him off, another poster earlier in the thread already listed his shortcomings in defence.

Personally I think its criminal that he hasn't had any opportunity to play midfield, IMO Longmire overrates what he provides down back.

As for the salary cap issue, I stand by my point that you don't pay big bucks to an average defender and Mills wouldn't be lucky to be rated in the top 50 defenders in the league
    After a year off it is not easy to just slot back into your position. I too was disappointed with his early games this year, but he has now found touch and reading the ball really well. He has showed you don't have to be super quick on the HBF. Also his poor disposal has disappeared and he now seems to have more time to dispose with ball in hand.

The bloke that gives me the shakes big time is Melican. His first half last week was very, very ordinary. I wish we had another defender to bring in to replace him.

Veterans List
    LOL, not at all

I agree with you that Mills should be given more chances in the midfield, he's definitely overdue and until then, no, he's not worth huge coin.

I find myself over balancing on how I see the “Mills” midfield debate week in week out

Some of the layers:

1. I don’t think he can play in the midfield as much right now with Kennedy, Heeney, Parker, Hewett, Jones already in the centre midfield rotation the majority of the time. To add Mills to the centre / roving roles would be a very slow group compared to many teams. We would not be able to match the spread / break from a contest and this is critical in the way the games are umpired and the rules have promoted keeping you feet always.

2. To have a strong backline is so important. The strength of a backline is brains and skill above all. Mills leading vocally more so this year has freed up rampe in attack which has been a pleasure to watch in 2019. As we all know after watching Luke hodge over the years an infield coach is imperative and it appears Mills is doing this more and more when I attend the live games. Btw Mills stats are not much different to Luke hodge and they play a similar role. Mills in front.

Callum Mills
    Disposals - 18
    Marks - 7
    Tackles - 2.3

Like hodge
    Disposals - 16
    Marks - 5.5
    Tackles - 1.8

3. I think next year we will see Mills get more game time rotation thru the midfield / HBF as other backline players become more experienced and others push hard for a role

4. Also If jones doesn’t stay next year I would imagine Mills might get more centre / inside midfield time on the ball

Really interesting reading the various points of view.
    So essentially it boils down to money. If he's getting paid elite money, then it's being done on potential.
    If he's being paid average or even slightly above average amounts, then he's certainly doing enough - at the end of the day, he's definitely best 22 and showing enough upside to suggest he could one day be elite.
    I think his current contract was signed 2016 for 5 years? Does anyone know it's size?

I think a mills salary would be tiered in an upward trajectory each year over a 5 year period

due to us in the window of top4 still thru 2014 to 2018

Same as Reid ?

Heeney ?
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 10th July 2019 at 12:25 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast