Page 22 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

Regular in the Side
    Don't like the look of this list at all.

Franklin will join Tom Papley, Callum Sinclair, Sam Naismith, Harry Cunningham, Sam Gray, Colin O’Riordan and Jack Maibaum on the injury list.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Don't like the look of this list at all.

Franklin will join Tom Papley, Callum Sinclair, Sam Naismith, Harry Cunningham, Sam Gray, Colin O’Riordan and Jack Maibaum on the injury list.
    What the?!?!

Where did all these injuries suddenly apparate from? Please can someone post a link to the source?

Naismith, Sinclair and Maibaum we already knew were on the comeback trail. Naismith indicated at the open training session that he expected to be back in full training after the break. Sinclair was already doing the match simulations.. Buddy's knee is an unwelcome surprise, although could be worse if the op really does sort it out. The coaches must be disappointed and him most of all. Gray, Harry C and Papley is also new and frustrating.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think Gray, Papley and Cunningham are new. They were each reported to be at varying stages of rehab leading up to Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    So Buddy has had a knee arthroscope and is out for 10 weeks. Is a "chance" to make round 1. ☹️
    "We may have been able to manage the knee through the year, but we're hopeful that this will mean Lance can have an uninterrupted season. He has had a similar clean up on his right knee in the past, so there are no long-term concerns," Charlie Gardiner said.”

No long-term concerns?

We know that putting an arthroscopic camera in a knee without doing anything else at all, the knee is actually worse off. Of course, no one does it for fun and if there is anything that needs “cleaning up” (chondroplasties, meniscectomies, removal of loose bodies etc) the knee should be better off the leaving defects, but knees are designed or evolved to be complete, so there will always be long-term consequences of surgery.

Clearly the club won’t detail exactly what the problem is (they rarely do) but 10 weeks is the upper end of return to sport after a “routine” knee arthroscopy. Hope he’s ok

The more surgery a joint has, less likely it’s in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    "We may have been able to manage the knee through the year, but we're hopeful that this will mean Lance can have an uninterrupted season. He has had a similar clean up on his right knee in the past, so there are no long-term concerns," Charlie Gardiner said.”

No long-term concerns?

We know that putting an arthroscopic camera in a knee without doing anything else at all, the knee is actually worse off. Of course, no one does it for fun and if there is anything that needs “cleaning up” (chondroplasties, meniscectomies, removal of loose bodies etc) the knee should be better off the leaving defects, but knees are designed or evolved to be complete, so there will always be long-term consequences of surgery.

Clearly the club won’t detail exactly what the problem is (they rarely do) but 10 weeks is the upper end of return to sport after a “routine” knee arthroscopy. Hope he’s ok

Agree on all accounts, in particular 10 weeks out post knee scope. Must be some significant pathology in that knee I suspect.

Makes one wonder if the club's failed pursuit of Joe might have been motivated, in part, by an knowledge of where Buddy's body is up to? Having said that, sounds like Joe has his own musculoskeletal issues and he's only in his 20s!

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post

No long-term concerns?

That’s 10 weeks to return to full training. Based on my limited middle aged experience that seems quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    That’s 10 weeks to return to full training. Based on my limited middle aged experience that seems quick.
    For a middle age man, yes that's not too bad. But let's phrase it another way. Say we're in the regular season and they say Bud's had a knee scope and is out for up to 10 weeks.........

Veterans List
    The concerning thing is that Buddy wasn't participating in full training yet. How is he going to last a full season ☹? Fingers crossed this is it!

Buddy went in for operations after R23 so that he'd right for the preseason. Can only speculate what those ops involved? (hamstring is my guess). Buddy has had to deal with heal, groin, hamstring & now knee issues over the last few seasons. I was hoping one benefit from missing finals is that our squad will hit R1 fit & healthy with the extra break.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Agree on all accounts, in particular 10 weeks out post knee scope. Must be some significant pathology in that knee I suspect.

Makes one wonder if the club's failed pursuit of Joe might have been motivated, in part, by an knowledge of where Buddy's body is up to? Having said that, sounds like Joe has his own musculoskeletal issues and he's only in his 20s!
    Yes, we are far better off having a crock who's a freak in his final years than a crock who's a potential freak but who's early in his career. What a liability that could end up being.

Having said that, I don't reckon our interest in JD had anything to do with a negative Buddy injury outlook, moreso that Buddy is in his latter years.....but for his eventual replacement, I reckon we should look elsewhere. It will be very interesting to see how Daniher shapes up this season but so far, it's not looking great.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    It’s a bit of a perspective thing really. Everyone is different (age and otherwise).
    Jana Pittman, for example, was running an Olympic final about a little over a week after having an arthroscopy in 2004. Granted she was only 22 and had a very small window of opportunity to compete (a four year Olympic wait if she didn’t run a week after her op).

Often it’s a 6-8 week lay off, although I think Majak Daw missed about a month after a knee arthroscopy once.

But there are so many factors that can influence above an beyond age (although advancing age doesn’t help). Multiple knee surgeries could well delay the return. The severity of the pathology certainly plays a significant role.

I think we will never really know the pathology, so will have have to trust the medical staff

Also depends on what is being snipped