Page 25 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season 2020

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Naismith injury rumours off the mark

Interview with him on the Swans site today, he completed his first full session and is in good shape for the season
    Great news.....suspected as much. Bloody 'rumours'!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Naismith injury rumours off the mark
    Interview with him on the Swans site today, he completed his first full session and is in good shape for the season
    Thank CLUCK for that.
    Also good to see Knoll is doing his best to make a go of it. We must have 1 ruckman get through the majority of the upcoming season if my great expectations are to be met.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

I just got around to watching the Naismith video on the Swans website. Great to hear him sounding so confident! Not only did he not get injured, he stated his goal is to play round 1 and every game for the rest of the season. Brilliant! To me this suggests he believes he is the first choice ruckman and will be selected if fit.

Interesting point made by someone that Buddy's knee surgery could create an opportunity for Sinkers and Naismith to play together with Sinclair spending a fair bit of time forward in place of Buddy. I haven't attempted a best 22 so not haven't considered what the alternative is but that certainly sounds worth consideration. Certainly with Buddy playing can't see how we could select of all of Naismith, Sinclair, Reid, McCartin, and Blakey. Let alone Aliir and Melican (or Brand) and Rampe. It seems our front half will be taller than our back half (although Blakey may play more on the wing).

I'd love to try and get to training again but I can't see it happening this week.

I’m hoping/expecting Blakey to play on the wing this year.

Even if he does you’d think only one of Naismith or Sinkers will play unless Buddy is out.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Don't like the look of this list at all.

Franklin will join Tom Papley, Callum Sinclair, Sam Naismith, Harry Cunningham, Sam Gray, Colin O’Riordan and Jack Maibaum on the injury list.
    This list is pretty meaningless should not be regarded with alarm. It is really out of date. These players may be recovering from injury and/or surgery but mostly they are already well advanced on their rehab and close to full training. Best example is Naismith who has resumed full training on Friday (just as he indicated he would at the final training session last year). COR and Gray are also well involved in match simulations. Harry C performed well in the time trial. Maibaum is running and seemed confident he would soon be right to play when I spoke to him very briefly at the open training session last month. Sinclair has been involved in match simulation. Pretty sure Papley has too. Which means really there's only Franklin from that list that is not able to train at the moment and who is off legs.

- - - Updated - - -

However, that list may not be complete. From what I could tell, Ling wasn't back in full training last year and there may be others. McLean was wearing a moonboot for a little while that has now gone. Heeney was held back due to a strain in his leg (can't remember if it was adductor/hamstring/quad) just before Christmas, but nothing major. Didn't Mills roll an ankle or something but it was just a twist?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Even if he does you’d think only one of Naismith or Sinkers will play unless Buddy is out.
    Blakey will end up playing a Bontempelli type role when fully mature and I reckon he will be just as good. Only query is how much muscle he can put on.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I have expressed my desire to see a second ruckman on a few occasions since 2003, and to fit them in, Blakey to the wing seems a good short term solution - but is it enough?

The forward line is a conundrum, so many options for a limited number of spots. I realise Buddy and Sinkers are almost the same height, but Sinkers is a genuine marking option which has never been Buddy's strength. The real issue is what they bring to, and what we lose footspeed wise with more height up forward.

In terms of what they bring to the forward line, Reid and McCartin are more akin to Sinkers. So one of them may need to shift, especially if Buddy is losing significant pace - we don't want the opposition running the ball out of our forward line with impunity. Reid and McCartin have both shown something down back, which is an option f we find ourselves too top heavy/slow up forward during a game.

Perhaps the wrong thread, but FWIW - Long term I hope the team would benefit much more if he became an incomparable centre-half-forward (thinking James Hird) rather than yet another Bont clone in the midfeld.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Problem with Naismith is that he needs to prove his durability and that his body can take the rigours of a full season. So far, his body hasnt stood up and its a real concern. We need first touch to give our midfield an advantage. Last season, Sinclair was a bandaid and did a great job but didnt give us that advantage in the centre or or throwins or around the grounds. Pre-season gives the selectors a chance to test Knoll, Naismith, Sinclair against each other. This is the one key area we need to upgrade from last season to give us a real chance to get back in the eight and finals again.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I have expressed my desire to see a second ruckman on a few occasions since 2003, and to fit them in, Blakey to the wing seems a good short term solution - but is it enough?

The forward line is a conundrum, so many options for a limited number of spots. I realise Buddy and Sinkers are almost the same height, but Sinkers is a genuine marking option which has never been Buddy's strength. The real issue is what they bring to, and what we lose footspeed wise with more height up forward.

In terms of what they bring to the forward line, Reid and McCartin are more akin to Sinkers. So one of them may need to shift, especially if Buddy is losing significant pace - we don't want the opposition running the ball out of our forward line with impunity. Reid and McCartin have both shown something down back, which is an option f we find ourselves too top heavy/slow up forward during a game.

Perhaps the wrong thread, but FWIW - Long term I hope the team would benefit much more if he became an incomparable centre-half-forward (thinking James Hird) rather than yet another Bont clone in the midfeld.
    Not many Bont clones around, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Don't like the look of this list at all.

Franklin will join Tom Papley, Callum Sinclair, Sam Naismith, Harry Cunningham, Sam Gray, Colin O’Riordan and Jack Maibaum on the injury list.
    Naismith has now joined main group. Maibaum will soon. Bud is a 10 week prospect, just getting rid of shrapnel. Paps will be ready soon. I think he had she minor surgery. Harry should be good to go.

Sent from my U27 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Blakey will end up playing a Bontempelli type role when fully mature and I reckon he will be just as good. Only query is how much muscle he can put on.
    Blakey Senior was a skinny bastard when he played but strong as an Ox. I can remember a friend of mine who was the same sort of physique and he was tough, strong and hard.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Blakey Senior was a skinny bastard when he played but strong as an Ox. I can remember a friend of mine who was the same sort of physique and he was tough, strong and hard.

Good point. Brett Kirk was lightly built as well but one of our toughest ever players.