Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Finals week 3 weekly discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    This discussion reminds me of one that is very common in the music industry, though I have to say people there seem to be a bit
    more accepting of other peoples differing viewpoints and likes/dislikes and what have you than they do in footy.
    I fully understand and accept that the Swans' circumstances are unique, and that as supporters from all over Australia we all bring different perspectives to our love of the club. Many if not most of our supporters are relatively new to the club and do not have the family tradition that others have, but they bring a fresh perspective and vigour to it. This is to be welcomed and embraced. So is the legacy of 145 years of tradition. What really ticks me off is people - one person in particular - dismissing and disparaging the latter as if it were of no consequence at all, or worse, some form of psychopathology. The attempt to drive a wedge between one group of supporters and another is not only antithetical to the idea of a united club, it also runs directly counter to the efforts of club administrators over 37 years to foster a "two cities, one club" mentality, something that has given our club a unique character. Why anyone would want to undermine that character is just bewildering to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    You have a very provincial mentality for a resident of Australia's biggest metropolis. To call tribal loyalty a "shallow culture" is quite astonishing. What is shallow is exactly what Professor Hickey is describing - namely, the practice of following a team simply because it is successful. I remember kids doing that when I was in primary school, and they were widely derided. That is the very definition of shallowness, closely akin to celebrity culture. It is extraordinary to see you describe a family tradition of following a team as "sheep-like". It is in fact the heart and soul of sporting affiliation, and to describe it in this way is not only ludicrous and - dare I say - shallow, it is also deeply offensive. The hard truth here is not the superficial nonsense you are espousing, it is that you do not understand the depth of commitment that comes from tradition. As relative newcomers to Sydney, the Swans have the inestimable advantage of having brought a culture and tradition with them to their new home, in a similar way to Port Adelaide, but quite unlike the other "expansion teams". This is to be celebrated, even venerated, not dismissed and disparaged. You are way out of line.
    What a load of gibberish.

Lets get a few things straight...
    The shallow culture I was referring to was as Professor Hickey mentioned of choosing a team because they are winning, on TV, or like their colours. As is common now in Victoria with the young (his words).
    I have also stated that Victorian's are welcome to keep that culture if thats what suits them. They may be sensitive types who dont like being called out on "shallow", but I'm sure they will get over it.
    What I find objectionable is some people trying to spread that (flawed) culture to NSW, QLD, WA and SA, which are entirely different environments (ie new teams being created in last 30 years).

I might also add that the "Dont change teams" mentality is also fostered by the entrenched clubs because they have lost the natural ties of supporting based on locality. Without that local tie, supporters would be more fluid, and the big clubs dont want that.
    Maybe the Swans see Sydney a bit like that. I think AnnieH does.

Lets move on to the concept of "Locality".
    Do you think GWS and Sydney are both local to all Sydney siders ?
    Or Do you think there is a line, where if you live in the Western suburbs your "local" side is GWS, and if you live in the eastern suburbs your "local" side is the Swans.
    I personally think the former, but I could see it moving to the later over time.

Senior Player
    You know the part I don't get is why people on here are so rude to each other. I assume no one has run over anybody else's cat
    or anything. It just seems to take so little for people to get all riled up, and then say all these personal things to each other.
    I think if someone worked at the Swans (or GWS for that matter) for a long time as an employee then they may have a
    pretty decent idea of what is going on at the club and with players and they might have a decent idea as to the state of
    the "culture" there, but other than that, I can't see how people not in that position could know that much. But not knowing
    much doesn't seem to stop all these tirades and general rudeness directed at people they've never met. I'm reminded of
    that saying at the bottom of, I think it's Beerman's posts. Anyway, I just think people have differing opinions and that's fine.
    It's a (sort of) free country, right?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    What a load of gibberish.

Lets get a few things straight...
    The shallow culture I was referring to was as Professor Hickey mentioned of choosing a team because they are winning, on TV, or like their colours. As is common now in Victoria with the young (his words).
    I have also stated that Victorian's are welcome to keep that culture if thats what suits them. They may be sensitive types who dont like being called out on "shallow", but I'm sure they will get over it.
    What I find objectionable is some people trying to spread that (flawed) culture to NSW, QLD, WA and SA, which are entirely different environments (ie new teams being created in last 30 years).

I might also add that the "Dont change teams" mentality is also fostered by the entrenched clubs because they have lost the natural ties of supporting based on locality. Without that local tie, supporters would be more fluid, and the big clubs dont want that.
    Maybe the Swans see Sydney a bit like that. I think AnnieH does.

Lets move on to the concept of "Locality".
    Do you think GWS and Sydney are both local to all Sydney siders ?
    Or Do you think there is a line, where if you live in the Western suburbs your "local" side is GWS, and if you live in the eastern suburbs your "local" side is the Swans.
    I personally think the former, but I could see it moving to the later over time.
    I see no point in engaging further with you on this topic. You have not even made a token attempt to engage with the points I made.

I see no point in engaging further with you on this topic. You have not even made a token attempt to engage with the points I made.
    Thank god.

You know the part I don't get is why people on here are so rude to each other. I assume no one has run over anybody else's cat
    or anything. It just seems to take so little for people to get all riled up, and then say all these personal things to each other.
    I think if someone worked at the Swans (or GWS for that matter) for a long time as an employee then they may have a
    pretty decent idea of what is going on at the club and with players and they might have a decent idea as to the state of
    the "culture" there, but other than that, I can't see how people not in that position could know that much. But not knowing
    much doesn't seem to stop all these tirades and general rudeness directed at people they've never met. I'm reminded of
    that saying at the bottom of, I think it's Beerman's posts. Anyway, I just think people have differing opinions and that's fine.
    Happy for you. I have a different opinion. But I do challenge you to show me where I have been rude.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Thank god.
    God had nothing to do with your refusal to engage. The devil made you do it.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    God had nothing to do with your refusal to engage. The devil made you do it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Fair post but things just seem to go that way when there's a relentless agitator in the mix.....thoughtless drivel tends to get people's backs up KT.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 25th September 2019 at 08:03 PM.

You have a very provincial mentality for a resident of Australia's biggest metropolis. To call tribal loyalty a "shallow culture" is quite astonishing. What is shallow is exactly what Professor Hickey is describing - namely, the practice of following a team simply because it is successful. I remember kids doing that when I was in primary school, and they were widely derided. That is the very definition of shallowness, closely akin to celebrity culture. It is extraordinary to see you describe a family tradition of following a team as "sheep-like". It is in fact the heart and soul of sporting affiliation, and to describe it in this way is not only ludicrous and - dare I say - shallow, it is also deeply offensive. The hard truth here is not the superficial nonsense you are espousing, it is that you do not understand the depth of commitment that comes from tradition. As relative newcomers to Sydney, the Swans have the inestimable advantage of having brought a culture and tradition with them to their new home, in a similar way to Port Adelaide, but quite unlike the other "expansion teams". This is to be celebrated, even venerated, not dismissed and disparaged. You are way out of line.
    Absolutely spot on . Barry has a serious nerve to try and diminish those of us with a long family tradition of following the swans . It’s pretty @@@@ing disrespectful to be honest .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Hmmm so this is what happens when the Swans don't make the finals!

I miss the good old days where all certain posters could forever harp on about was how good the Members seats were at his favourite ground....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."