Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: AFL Grand Final Week Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    One way to maybe relieve the "vic-centric" MCG problem, would be to maybe give the Melbourne city teams using the MCG as their home ground a few more "away" games - interstate, across town... anywhere but the MCG. For instance, if Melbourne are playing Collingwood, put the game on at Etihad and bring St Kilda or Norfs to the MCG for that weekend. Shake it up a bit for everyone.
    Yes, I know it's a home ground... maybe they should just use it for finals?
    Not a bad one. I was thinking about this today as well , and it’s probably a terrible idea which I haven’t thought it through all that well but ... if the GF is always in Victoria , then perhaps one of the other finals stages should always be elsewhere ? Eg. prelims? There is a lot of holes in this idea of course , but if if a different state got to host the prelims each year ( or they get split one prelim each, say SA and WA host one each, NSW and QLD the following year etc ) it may even the playing field up a little. For instance Richmond couldn’t play 12 straight weeks or thereabouts at the one ground without any instertate ( or around the corner ) travel .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GF at MCG until 2057 as part of $500m mega-deal - AFL.com.au

The charter flight should have been there from the start but deal the clincher for non Victorian clubs would have to be the training run before the grand final “captains run”.

Wow glad they looked after the non Victorian clubs.

In 2057 this deal will be looked back as laughable that delivered swa to the game long term. Not just in dollars but in growing the game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    GF at MCG until 2057 as part of $500m mega-deal - AFL.com.au

The charter flight should have been there from the start but deal the clincher for non Victorian clubs would have to be the training run before the grand final “captains run”.

Wow glad they looked after the non Victorian clubs.

In 2057 this deal will be looked back as laughable that delivered swa to the game long term. Not just in dollars but in growing the game.
    Man, what a joke. The Vic government promised to pay $12M a year that they would have paid anyway to upkeep
    mostly their own facilities. And what is $12M now worth in 40 years after inflation. What $2M, $3M?. Maybe.
    My favourite was the part about all interstate grand finalists getting a charter flight to the game. Wow, what deal clincher
    that one must have been. Hell, soon they'll be flying to an MCG prelim in those exit row seats in the middle that you pay
    the extra $20 for. Crazy times!

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Man, what a joke. The Vic government promised to pay $12M a year that they would have paid anyway to upkeep
    mostly their own facilities. And what is $12M now worth in 40 years after inflation. What $2M, $3M?. Maybe.
    My favourite was the part about all interstate grand finalists getting a charter flight to the game. Wow, what deal clincher
    that one must have been. Hell, soon they'll be flying to an MCG prelim in those exit row seats in the middle that you pay
    the extra $20 for. Crazy times!
    Also let’s not forget McGuire has his grubby little hands all over this.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp....13-p4z9jq.html

Like I’ve said a number of times the AFL is a boys club there just to make money for each other. Nothing more nothing less.

Senior Player

Like I’ve said a number of times the AFL is a boys club there just to make money for each other. Nothing more nothing less.
    Used to have some respect for Andrews till I found out McGuire was one of his close advisers. Collingwood connection stuffs the integrity of the comp. Parochial, insular arrogance. Embarrassing and outrageous.

Senior Player

Caroline Wilson who gets a lot of stories from the AFL, hardly raises am eyebrow in this article. Honorary member of the boys club.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Not a bad one. I was thinking about this today as well , and it’s probably a terrible idea which I haven’t thought it through all that well but ... if the GF is always in Victoria , then perhaps one of the other finals stages should always be elsewhere ? Eg. prelims? There is a lot of holes in this idea of course , but if if a different state got to host the prelims each year ( or they get split one prelim each, say SA and WA host one each, NSW and QLD the following year etc ) it may even the playing field up a little. For instance Richmond couldn’t play 12 straight weeks or thereabouts at the one ground without any instertate ( or around the corner ) travel .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Token gestures will not change the corrupt nature of the arrangement

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Used to have some respect for Andrews till I found out McGuire was one of his close advisers. Collingwood connection stuffs the integrity of the comp. Parochial, insular arrogance. Embarrassing and outrageous.
    Which "portfolio" does Eddie have in the Vic government? Indigenous Affairs perhaps? It's just all so hokey…

Senior Player
    Which "portfolio" does Eddie have in the Vic government? Indigenous Affairs perhaps? It's just all so hokey…
    The power of footy here in Victoria is a phenomenon. It permeates every layer of society. Intelligent, grown men and women bow down to those involved. No other place like it surely. Andrews in thrall to the boofhead.

Once in a while, I wander over and check out BigFooty. Usually I don't find anything that makes me think I'm missing out but, earlier today, I found a hilarious post in the Jordan Dawson thread by bungee. I tried re-posting it here in a thread entitled 'BF gold' but the mods don't want any content copied from BF and deleted the thread and asked me to post just a link instead. Hence, I am posting this link: Player Watch - #34 Jordan Dawson - the next great Swans mid | Page 19 | BigFooty. Well worth a read and I'll be surprised if you don't get a chuckle out of it, especially the 'interview' with Horse, which is the best bit. In the short time it was up on RWO it got some good feedback.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Once in a while, I wander over and check out BigFooty. Usually I don't find anything that makes me think I'm missing out but, earlier today, I found a hilarious post in the Jordan Dawson thread by bungee. I tried re-posting it here in a thread entitled 'BF gold' but the mods don't want any content copied from BF and deleted the thread and asked me to post just a link instead. Hence, I am posting this link: Player Watch - #34 Jordan Dawson - the next great Swans mid | Page 19 | BigFooty. Well worth a read and I'll be surprised if you don't get a chuckle out of it, especially the 'interview' with Horse, which is the best bit. In the short time it was up on RWO it got some good feedback.
    People should check it out. It's brilliant. I wondered if RWO should try and draft "Bungee" over from Big Footy.

People should check it out. It's brilliant. I wondered if RWO should try and draft "Bungee" over from Big Footy.
    Hahah totally bizarre but brilliant
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Warming the Bench
    My take on the GF.

GWS had a crack in Q1 but it soon became obvious the umpires were going to control the game by some blatant non-calls. This continued into Q2 then the Giants realised they were never going to get an even display from the umpires. So they just gave up, and when they did, Richmond piled on the pressure and never let up. Game over. GWS was not helped by poor selections. They got nothing from Whitfield or Davis. They should have learnt from 2016 when Mills and McVeigh played injured.

Another Melbourne team premiership - great for business in Melbourne I suppose. Not great for a national competition.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast