Page 112 of 452 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,333 to 1,344 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Buddy's was actually pretty ordinary before he came to the Swans. Tom McCartin couldn't hit a barn door until recently. We'll fix him up once he gets to the Swans
    Daniher far worse than Buddy ever was. His set shots, when he has to think about it, are woeful.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    The points deficit would probably be quite large. This is why I expect we will be actively trading picks.

I have previously speculated on Sydney splitting the first round pick for two later picks. If we end up with pick 3, we could swap it for two late picks in the first round, around picks 15 and 16 (eg: Geelong's picks). That would make it easier to match bids on both players, or draft them when due (say Campbell at 15, another player at 16 and Gulden at 22). We would lose the early pick, but avoid a points deficit and land three good players in the first 25 picks.

This is a likely scenario, but we should try for more. If we're going to end up with pick 3 or so, we should hold on to it if possible. This means we will need to be active in trading for picks. Our current picks are: 3, 22, 53, 56, so we have some holes in the 30s and 40s that could be filled with other clubs' surplus picks.

The pick that would come into play for trading would most likely be our second-round pick (currently 22).

Possible scenarios, based on current picks from here: 2020 Nominal Draft Order - Live based on current ladder!:
    * Adelaide have seven picks with a points value (currently 1, 10, 20, 28, 42, 50, 61), and they are unlikely to be using all of them. They may be interested in trading away some later picks they won't be using.
    * Hawthorn have six picks with a points value including four after pick 40 (4, 21, 41, 45, 59, 64). They may consider a trade of two late picks for an earlier one.
    * Other clubs that may be interested in a two-for one swap of late picks are North Melbourne (2, 12, 27, 57, 66) and Port Adelaide (24, 32, 37, 49, 55).
    You're not serious are you? Trading a potential pick 3 for later points just to get points to ensure we get Campbell and Gulden? We can still get a top 3 talent with Campbell and Gulden this draft. If it plays out with teams bidding for our academy players early then our list management will have options to get the required points. Not smart business giving away a pick 3 just to manipulate points. The talent is too good to give away.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Buddy's was actually pretty ordinary before he came to the Swans. Tom McCartin couldn't hit a barn door until recently. We'll fix him up once he gets to the Swans
    Nick Davis......kicking whisperer.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    You're not serious are you? Trading a potential pick 3 for later points just to get points to ensure we get Campbell and Gulden? We can still get a top 3 talent with Campbell and Gulden this draft. If it plays out with teams bidding for our academy players early then our list management will have options to get the required points. Not smart business giving away a pick 3 just to manipulate points. The talent is too good to give away.
    As I said in my post, the best option would be trading for lower picks that other clubs won't be using anyway. I mentioned pick 21, but some of our future picks could also be offered.

Mentioning the splitting of pick 3 for two later picks was simply there to highlight what we would have to do if we did not trade for lower picks. It is not as good an option as loading up on later picks, but it is better than doing nothing.

The worst option would be doing nothing to address the lack of draft points, and then risking our position in the 2021 draft by going into the 2021 draft with a points deficit if both players are bid on by pick 15. After our 1st-round pick (currently 21), we have a total of 1305 draft points with our remaining picks (based on current ladder positions). If Campbell and Gulden are bid on at picks 14 and 15, we would be 500 points short. This is about the number of extra draft points I believe we need to secure.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    Agree with this.

We have a lot of holes in our list, and elite midfielders are one such hole.

Elite midfielders win you games, so lets get Tanner Brunn and Campbell and Gulden.

Who cares what deficit we get for next year, or this year.

We can trade out some players for 3 and 4 round picks to make up the deficit.

We need to really cull the list big time!
    doof-doof

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I seriously don't think Finlayson would have much impact in our forward line.

The dude had a single good year as the third tall (really 4th forward, including Greene) at the end of a dominant midfield. It culminated in a one possession Grand Final, where he looked totally exposed and outclassed. The year before he kicked 4 goals for the year, and this year he's kicked more than one in a game twice (v Hawthorn and North).

He doesn't seem to me the type who could handle the best tall defender. I don't really see the point in recruiting him to be the second or third tall forward. Plus, as I said, I don't really like the way he carries himself on the field.

Generally speaking, unless we're trading a high pick for an absolute gun (e.g. Darcy Moore) or picking up Daniher as a free agent, I'd prefer we draft high and develop our own rather pick up more players other clubs are happy to let go.
    I think you are being a bit harsh on Finlayson. He (was) GWS's 2nd tall forward, and would make our team stronger than it currently is.
    He's only 24. To be playing CHF in a grand final side at 23 (last year) is the sort of tragectory of a Carey or Dermie. He's not anywhere near his peak.

I, for one, dont like being in the bottom 5 for any longer than humanly possible.

While he had a poor GF, like most others, he played a good finals series.
    And this year the GWS midfield has been very ordinary in its delivery into the forward line. When last years Coleman (Cameron) also cant buy a goal, it not necessarily the forwards who are at fault.

I think Finlayson would improve our side. And we have a need for AFL ready, but young tall forwards.

Paddy Dow | AFL. paddy being talked about as part of a trade with pick 7 for Paps ?

former no3 draft pick Paddy Dow plus pick 7 as a trade for Paps ? but we also give pick 7 to GWS for Caldwell or Pick 7 or 21 for Darcy Moore..........

Collingwood and GWS are both under the pump to maintain their lists due to sal cap and not matching all offers externally.

Or do we try and land a 24yr old established mid with pick 7 ?

Or just say again bad luck Paps your staying

Picks 3, 7, 21 and 39 etc

Campbell - pick 3
    Dow - included for a Paps trade?
    Gulden - use our pick 21
    Caldwell or Darcy Moore - for pick 7
    Daniher - no trade

OFF CONTRACT 2020 ???
    Joel Amartey
    James Bell
    Kaiden Brand
    Zac Foot
    Robbie Fox
    George Hewett
    Josh P. Kennedy
    Michael Knoll
    Matthew Ling
    Hayden McLean
    Lewis Melican
    Barry O'Connor
    Ben Ronke
    Ryley Stoddart
    Samuel Wicks
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 2nd September 2020 at 03:19 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Jut out of interest?

Jones went for pick 30ish to the Saints

Is Darcy Moore a pick 7 or a pick 21 to make a trade happen if Darcy keen to leave?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Paddy Dow | AFL. paddy being talked about as part of a trade with pick 7 for Paps ?

former no3 draft pick Paddy Dow plus pick 7 as a trade for Paps ? but we also give pick 7 to GWS for Caldwell or Pick 7 or 21 for Darcy Moore..........

Collingwood and GWS are both under the pump to maintain their lists due to sal cap and not matching all offers externally.

Or do we try and land a 24yr old established mid with pick 7 ?

Or just say again bad luck Paps your staying

Picks 3, 7, 21 and 39 etc

Campbell - pick 3
    Dow - included for a Paps trade?
    Gulden - use our pick 21
    Caldwell or Darcy Moore - for pick 7
    Daniher - no trade

OFF CONTRACT 2020 ???
    Joel Amartey
    James Bell
    Kaiden Brand
    Zac Foot
    Robbie Fox
    George Hewett
    Josh P. Kennedy
    Michael Knoll
    Matthew Ling
    Hayden McLean
    Lewis Melican
    Barry O'Connor
    Ben Ronke
    Ryley Stoddart
    Samuel Wicks
    Caldwell for pick 7 ? That GWS midfielder who couldn't hit the side of a barn with his kicking ?

Stear clear of Dow all I have heard of is his woeful disposal by hand and foot . Last thing we need is another one to match what we already have . Talk of carltons first round this year and next might get the job done for Papley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Jut out of interest?

Jones went for pick 30ish to the Saints

Is Darcy Moore a pick 7 or a pick 21 to make a trade happen if Darcy keen to leave?
    If a player is keen to leave a club, they could walk out and nominate for the PSD. This gives lower-ranked sides the whip hand in negotiations because they could pick up the player for next to nothing because the lower-ranked club has a PSD pick before the other club. This happened last year when Jack Martin went from GC to Carlton via the PSD. Therefore, a club with a want-away player may accept less than their full value because the alternative is getting nothing.

If Jones could be traded for one draft pick in the 30s, we shouldn't be giving away single-digit draft picks for comparable players. I'll assume we have pick 21. Offering pick 21 would be reasonable because it's almost as good as a first-round pick. However, I do not see us giving away pick 21 if it compromises the rest of our draft. Pick 21 has most of our draft points after the first round, and giving that away without a boatload of picks in return may mean we don't recruit both of Campbell and Gulden. We may recruit only one or even neither.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final