Page 101 of 452 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,212 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Suspended by the MRP
    We must maximise our draft hand this year and get more elite talent on the list. Only one Swan in the top five of their age category across the competition.

https://twitter.com/aflplayerrating/...089161216?s=21

Not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Definitely a mistake giving Gray and Taylor two year contracts......but the club obviously thought they would offer us more than they have and believed a one year offer was not enough to initially entice them. Again, post event knowledge.....which the club (or no one for that matter) could predict. Any trade or drafting decision by any club carries risk and success is not guaranteed.

Seriously, only those who seriously questioned these two players recruitments from the beginning are the only one's who can criticise the decision to recruit them now.....anyone else is just conveniently hindsight whinging.
    I didn't question the recruitment of either as they both looked reasonably decent prospects: Taylor as a former Rising Star winner and Gray had been a decent player at Port. When Taylor arrived at the Swans I questioned his fitness, and still do.

Neither have shown much this year, particularly Gray. And Taylor still looks very unfit. Glass half full: 2020 is not the year to be trying to fit into a new club, lets reserve judgement until 2021. Glass half empty: they are duds and we shouldn't have given them more than a one year deal.

Veterans List
    Neither was coming on a one year deal, Gray had a one year on offer by Port. At the time we made the decision, we had absolutely no depth.

Assuming we don't suddenly win a couple in the run home, and providing there's no shenanigans by Crows or North, we will have a choice of KPF, KPD or mid with our first pick before adding Campbell and Gulden, all three who could be R1 debutants.

Taylor and Gray aren't going to hurt us going forward and may yet improve and surprise us, cost us little in picks.

Was having a look at the Crows BF board, boy are they a lot of hindsighters, bagging the poo out of their recruiters taking Jones and McHenry with first round picks in the 2018 "Super draft" but those same baggers were very pleased with the picks at draft time. The essendon board was mostly against taking "just pick 9 and our 2020 first" for JD, those same posters now howling about what a great deal they knocked back!

Hindsight is trotted out a lot of footy forums, recruiting and drafting decisions are however made in the now! Let's move on and enjoy our list development.

It’s pretty clear that We are trying kids in different positions and different roles. Some plans work - Robbie Fox and some don’t and others are pretty hopeless ideas. I would trust them to keep trying kids in different positions and trying out many things in this year given the season is over for us anyways.

Wouldn’t mind keeping Lewis Taylor if he is starting to do a bit of 2 way running. I think he has upside. Sam Gray is past it and should be delisted. Ryan Clarke is listed as the most improved player on swans list by analysis ! But the fact that he is not getting a game despite George Hewetts absence tells me that the plan has changed to ‘get the ball’ rather than tagging. He may hold his spot on the list depending what they feel about George’s progress after surgery.

Would like to see Luke Parker up forward in Heeneys slot to give some inside work for Dylan Stephens, James Rowbottom, Oliver Florent and James Bell. Chad warner to come in for 2 more games to check his inside work without tagging. Wouldn’t mind putting Sam Wicks in there too for the rest of the season.

But Longmire Is unlikely to do it as belting by opposition is not a good way for kids to learn. He and others at swan are keen for us to be competitive to keep the spirit of the team up.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    It’s pretty clear that We are trying kids in different positions and different roles. Some plans work - Robbie Fox and some don’t and others are pretty hopeless ideas. I would trust them to keep trying kids in different positions and trying out many things in this year given the season is over for us anyways.

Wouldn’t mind keeping Lewis Taylor if he is starting to do a bit of 2 way running. I think he has upside. Sam Gray is past it and should be delisted. Ryan Clarke is listed as the most improved player on swans list by analysis ! But the fact that he is not getting a game despite George Hewetts absence tells me that the plan has changed to ‘get the ball’ rather than tagging. He may hold his spot on the list depending what they feel about George’s progress after surgery.

Would like to see Luke Parker up forward in Heeneys slot to give some inside work for Dylan Stephens, James Rowbottom, Oliver Florent and James Bell. Chad warner to come in for 2 more games to check his inside work without tagging. Wouldn’t mind putting Sam Wicks in there too for the rest of the season.

But Longmire Is unlikely to do it as belting by opposition is not a good way for kids to learn. He and others at swan are keen for us to be competitive to keep the spirit of the team up.
    If you had a midfield rotation of Rowbottom, Stephens, Florent and Bell with Warner and Wicks too, they would get smashed. We'd be lucky to win one clearance.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post

Good points. JL might try some of the above against say Carlton but not against Geelong for example. However not sure he ever goes in thinking we can't win, which is a good thing.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    We must maximise our draft hand this year and get more elite talent on the list. Only one Swan in the top five of their age category across the competition.

https://twitter.com/aflplayerrating/...089161216?s=21

Not good enough.
    Useless list. West Coast only have one and that is in the 30+ bracket and they seem to be travelling ok. Make that 2, but still it is very misleading.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd Swan View Post
    Useless list. West Coast only have one and that is in the 30+ bracket and they seem to be travelling ok. Make that 2, but still it is very misleading.
    More concerning that there's a lack of Swans presence in the younger categories. For a rebuilding team that is supposed to have such good young talent, to only have one who cracks the top five of their respective age groups... suggests our young talent doesn't stack up as well against other clubs as we think.

Quote Originally Posted by Syd Swan View Post
    I think the minimum of 8 games is relevant for these lists. So many young swans have not reached that number!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    More concerning that there's a lack of Swans presence in the younger categories. For a rebuilding team that is supposed to have such good young talent, to only have one who cracks the top five of their respective age groups... suggests our young talent doesn't stack up as well against other clubs as we think.
    There are 18 clubs, so if we were an average club we'd have <1 player in the best under 21, around 1/2 a player in the best under 20. We've got number 2 out of the under 21s. And he's 19. And he's a player who's been maligned and questioned on here by what I can only call heretics.

We also have not had the draft hand that the Suns, Giants, Freo, Brisbane etc have had
    Last edited by Markwebbos; 25th August 2020 at 05:33 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    There are 18 clubs, so if we were an average club we'd have <1 player in the best under 21, around 1/2 a player in the best under 20. We've got number 2 out of the under 21s. And he's 19. And he's a player who's been maligned and questioned on here by what I can only call heretics.

We also have not had the draft hand that the Suns, Giants, Freo, Brisbane etc have had
    Giants have been awash with early draft picks.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    You're not wrong. Dylan Stephens is the first player we have drafted in the top 5 of the draft since 2002 (except for Mills, an Academy player), and we have had very few top 10 picks this century.

List of Sydney Swans top 10 picks this century:
    2001: nil
    2002: Jarrad McVeigh (5)
    2003: nil
    2004: nil
    2005: nil
    2006: nil
    2007: nil
    2008: nil
    2009: Gary Rohan (6)
    2010: nil (Gold Coast draft)
    2011: nil (GWS draft)
    2012: nil
    2013: nil
    2014: nil
    2015: Callum Mills (3, matched Melbourne's bid on Academy player)
    2016: nil
    2017: nil
    2018: Nick Blakey (10, Academy player)
    2019: Dylan Stephens (5)

Sydney has drafted five players in the top 10 in 19 drafts, two of which were Academy players. I do not know if any other club has drafted fewer players in the top 10 in that time. The last time Sydney drafted two players in the top 10 was in 1998 (Nic Fosdike #3, Ryan Fitzgerald #4).
    Last edited by Thunder Shaker; 25th August 2020 at 07:22 PM. Reason: correction
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final