Page 105 of 452 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,249 to 1,260 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Regular in the Side
    Sam Reid, too soft and too often injured. Don't think there is any chance of it happening though.

If you are not convinced that we should go after Joe Daniher as a free agent, which could mean delisting or trading out a few aging/fringe players, after last night, then you are madder than a cut snake.

He's a game changer. Very few can do it, he can.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If you are not convinced that we should go after Joe Daniher as a free agent, which could mean delisting or trading out a few aging/fringe players, after last night, then you are madder than a cut snake.

Reckon he'll stay at the Injectors now on a big contract, he looked in a happy place with his team mates last night. Agree he's a game changer.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Happy for Hewett to go.
    I find this hard to work out....why would you conclude this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Anyway, Horse loves Hewett.
    Ahh.....there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I guess my query is: if we need a good decent late 20s type extra pick for the points to cover the two Academy kids, who are the other candidates? I don't see an obvious one.
    I wouldn't worry about this. You've seen in previous drafts how we swap picks to get additional points or acquire a pick at a spot in the draft we feel we need for a targeted player, e.g. Rowbottom. We can get close to the points required prior to draft night, then finish the job on the night if needed.

If there are list size reductions, even projected into the future, there will be some very willing customers happy to trade points for a higher placement in the draft. Our second round pick can probably fetch a few hundred extra points in this scenario.

We can also swap late 2021 picks for similar ones this year, if all else fails. Since we don't have any retirements coming up this year and probably next year as well, depending on JPK, we shouldn't be using too many picks in these next couple of years.

RE: Daniher

Joe was impressive in his first game back. No one's questioning his talent. It's just whether his body can hold up. It will be interesting to see what happens if he makes it through these remaining games without injury.

I noticed that Chol was dropped by Richmond in favour of Nanka, who played quite well. Chol might be gettable in that he's not in their first choice side.

My fairy tale scenario is that we trade for Chol and get Daniher as a FA. The pair can rotate between ruck and forward. Both would burn opposition ruckmen around the ground with their speed and excellent field kicking. If Buddy makes a full recovery, this could be a top 4 side next year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I wouldn't worry about this. You've seen in previous drafts how we swap picks to get additional points or acquire a pick at a spot in the draft we feel we need for a targeted player, e.g. Rowbottom. We can get close to the points required prior to draft night, then finish the job on the night if needed.

If there are list size reductions, even projected into the future, there will be some very willing customers happy to trade points for a higher placement in the draft. Our second round pick can probably fetch a few hundred extra points in this scenario.

We can also swap late 2021 picks for similar ones this year, if all else fails. Since we don't have any retirements coming up this year and probably next year as well, depending on JPK, we shouldn't be using too many picks in these next couple of years.

RE: Daniher

Joe was impressive in his first game back. No one's questioning his talent. It's just whether his body can hold up. It will be interesting to see what happens if he makes it through these remaining games without injury.

I noticed that Chol was dropped by Richmond in favour of Nanka, who played quite well. Chol might be gettable in that he's not in their first choice side.

My fairy tale scenario is that we trade for Chol and get Daniher as a FA. The pair can rotate between ruck and forward. Both would burn opposition ruckmen around the ground with their speed and excellent field kicking. If Buddy makes a full recovery, this could be a top 4 side next year.
    Chol would be very useful. Jack Riewoldt looks almost shot to me. Chol should be in their 22 instead of him.

Veterans List

Yes. That kick for the last goal appeared to have a perpetual trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Chol would be very useful. Jack Riewoldt looks almost shot to me. Chol should be in their 22 instead of him.
    With Riewoldt coming to the end of his career, they will certainly need a replacement and Chol is in a good position to take over when the time comes. They also would like to find a spot for Coleman-Jones. I think either Coleman-Jones or Chol is a good chance of going. The idea I presented earlier was to offer a 1st round pick swap for Chol, which would move Richmond into a good position to get one of the better young KPPs in this year's draft, to add depth in that area in a post Riewoldt team. We already have McCartin and Blakey, plus Chol from the trade, which already puts us in a good post Buddy position. In my mind, this is a good trade for both sides.

Game changing ability has never been the issue with Joe. At his best he’s a 60-70 goal forward who can mark it high and kick it long. Probably only Buddy ( in full flight ) can bomb a longer goal than Joe.

The question that still remains unanswered is can his body stand up to the rigours of AFL footy and allow him to get on the park regularly.

Let’s see how the rest of the year unfolds for JD before we get too carried away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So having kind of initiated this stretch of Hewett, as I said it's not because I don't like him. I do. (I rated Jones too but sadly he wanted to go.)

I guess my query is: if we need a good decent late 20s type extra pick for the points to cover the two Academy kids, who are the other candidates? I don't see an obvious one.
    If we are dumping a guy, in his prime, that gets 2nd in the Clubs Best & Fairest to gather points for a Top 30 Academy kid then we have rocks in out head........ not beyond all possibility that neither of these kids ever climb those ranks in a B&F

As others have said, late pick swaps easily does this.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    If we are dumping a guy, in his prime, that gets 2nd in the Clubs Best & Fairest to gather points for a Top 30 Academy kid then we have rocks in out head........ not beyond all possibility that neither of these kids ever climb those ranks in a B&F

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post

Correct, you never get in return what they are worth to you/us/Swans

Lack of points isn't a problem, just burn some 2021 points if we need to. We have seen that our guys are at the forefront of clever pick shuffling both within a draft and future draft.

A pick before matching bids for Campbell and Gulden is a dream haul