Page 367 of 452 FirstFirst ... 267317357363364365366367368369370371377417 ... LastLast
Results 4,393 to 4,404 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

We've got defence covered, especially with McCartain there and Fox having a mini break out season. Throw in a (hopefully) rejuvenated Melican, Rampe and Brand, and things look pretty good.

Up forward, we can play 2 of Buddy, Reid and McCartain with Amartey and McLean as backup. With all that in mind, and the strong likelihood that JUH, Thilthorpe and McDonald will all be gone by 3, I really want us to take Hollands. Around 190cm, skillful, ready to play and make an impact as a tall(ish) target at HF.

Best players has also been described by KB that they tend to be able to adapt to some other roles ie Mills
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Apparently we missed out on this one too.....https://www.afl.com.au/news/525006/c...Ovf_VJrNgieC7o

I think there is a fantastic four rather than Twomey’s five: JUH, RT, LMcD and EH.

And I reckon which ever one is left at pick 4 we take: either the best mid or one of the three best talls.

DGB is a rung below.
    Last edited by Markwebbos; 21st November 2020 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Please God no DGB...watch that “highlights” clip carefully. He takes a few good grabs without an actual opponent and he is a shocking kick...even the 30m cross the HB line kicks the receiver always has to move as not one kick (that I recall) went directly to where it was supposed to go. Exactly the type we don’t need. It’s extremely simple...Thilthorpe is obviously extraordinary and exactly the type and size we need. Assuming he is gone then we have the chance to get a Dusty/Danger/Fyfe/Judd type player who is almost always required for a premiership. We had Adam Goodes once. Watch Hollands’ highlight reel again and then tell me you would take DGB without puking
    You’re basing your decision on who to recruit off highlight clips? Highlight clips aren’t actually footage of a players best performances you realise.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think there is a fantastic four rather than Twomey’s five: JUH, RT, LMcD and EH.

And I reckon which ever one Is left at pick 4 we take: either the best mid or one of the three best talls.

DGB is a rung below.
    Agree. As you say, there's a top 4, and then it drops off a level.

If it's EH who's the one left over at pick 4, the only way we don't take him is reticence concerning his ACL injury. Barring the injury, he would have rated alongside JUH as the best player in the draft. He could be a game changer, like a Dustin Martin. He's about 190 cm now, so getting close to key forward size. That's the same size as Tim Membrey, who everyone calls a key forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Agree. As you say, there's a top 4, and then it drops off a level.

If it's EH who's the one left over at pick 4, the only way we don't take him is reticence concerning his ACL injury. Barring the injury, he would have rated alongside JUH as the best player in the draft. He could be a game changer, like a Dustin Martin. He's about 190 cm now, so getting close to key forward size. That's the same size as Tim Membrey, who everyone calls a key forward.
    I'd love EH to be running around in the red and white next year. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I'd love EH to be running around in the red and white next year. Fingers crossed.
    If someone else picks him before us, then we get either Logan Macdonald or Riley Thilthorpe. Reckon that's OK

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    WILL PHILLIPS HIGHLIGHTS | 2020 AFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

This is an extended package for Phillips and wow, it’s pretty bloody impressive. He’s tough, quick , uses it well by hand and foot, and wins contested ball at will. Tackling machine and tough to tackle to boot.

Would walk straight into our starting side next year and would complement our young midfield mix well. Phillips and Rowy the contested beasts (although not plodders) , Stephens & Campbell inside /outside hybrids with elite foot skills, gulden the outside accumulator, Blakey and J MAC the outside flyers with foot skills. I’ve probably missed some but that looks like a really good mix and a relatively quick midfield unit. Hollands would also add nicely to the mix as an explosive big bodied forward / mid.

Sure we need talls and if one of the top two rated are available it will be a tough choice, but we’ve got a pretty great opportunity to build a pretty special engine room that should serve us well into the future.
    While I think that our priority should be a KPF, on the strength of that package, I'd be very happy if we took Will Phillips. One theory of mine, is that perhaps the main thing that separates elite footballers from the very good, is speed of processing. That is, the ability to sum up the situation almost instantly and then rapidly take the correct option. It seems that Will has that: his decision making looked excellent in those highlights. Looks to both go in hard and emerge quickly, as well. And a couple of the draft write ups touted him as future leadership material, so he's probably a good kid. Plus, he does seem a bit similar, to a recent Norm Smith medallist.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

And I reckon which ever one is left at pick 4 we take: either the best mid or one of the three best talls.

DGB is a rung below.
    The "Fantastic Five" as named by Twomey doesn't include JUH because he's not in the open draft pool but is a Bulldogs' NGA player.

The other player you're missing is Will Phillips, a handy midfielder.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    WILL PHILLIPS HIGHLIGHTS | 2020 AFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

This is an extended package for Phillips and wow, it’s pretty bloody impressive. He’s tough, quick , uses it well by hand and foot, and wins contested ball at will. Tackling machine and tough to tackle to boot.

Would walk straight into our starting side next year and would complement our young midfield mix well. Phillips and Rowy the contested beasts (although not plodders) , Stephens & Campbell inside /outside hybrids with elite foot skills, gulden the outside accumulator, Blakey and J MAC the outside flyers with foot skills. I’ve probably missed some but that looks like a really good mix and a relatively quick midfield unit. Hollands would also add nicely to the mix as an explosive big bodied forward / mid.

Sure we need talls and if one of the top two rated are available it will be a tough choice, but we’ve got a pretty great opportunity to build a pretty special engine room that should serve us well into the future.
    Phillips the is only one of the top draftees not mentioned by KB in his interview ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Phillips the is only one of the top draftees not mentioned by KB in his interview ;-)
    Considering how we normally play our cards on these types of things ( close to the chest ) I wouldn’t say that rules him out at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk