Page 277 of 452 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287327377 ... LastLast
Results 3,313 to 3,324 of 5424

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Regular in the Side
    From Bloodspirit post #3097. Here is a helpful list of our players still out of contract: Joel Amartey , Zac Foot, Robbie Fox, Matthew Ling, Hayden McLean, Lewis Melican, Ben Ronke, Jackson Thurlow and Sam Wicks.

Amartey, McLean and Wicks are all rookies so delisting any of those does nothing in reducing our list. That just leaves Foot, Fox, Ling, Melican, Thurlow and Ronke with at least three places needed to be found, maybe more if the AFL reduces list sizes by more than the mooted one. One would think the players who could not make the 22 in the last round would be most at risk of being delisted with the possible save of being offered a rookie spot if they are still there for that draft. Would not want to be in the shoes of Foot or Ling. I don't think Brand actually has a contract either so he would be next in line followed by Ronke (trade him if possible) and Thurlow then Fox and Melican..

The three rookies could fall foul of the rule only allowing one third year rookie on the rookie list as all will be third year. Possibly that rule will be relaxed for 2021 otherwise two of them will also need to go.

It is easy tp see why Ludwig is feeling pain.

ET might yet save one spot depending on how that situation is resolved.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    • I thought we needed a ruckman? In fact, that's the biggest weakness in our list. I commented a few days ago that Cox is not the kind of forward we need, and should play as a #1 ruckman, not a backup like he does a Collingwood. He's a real danger drifting forward, as he's a very accurate kick for goal. I think he could be one of the better ruckmen in the league. He'll be 30 next year, so can give a few good years of service at a high level, allowing us time to develop a young ruckman (who usually come cheap in the draft).
    Agree.

A look at the stats:

Cox seems to have played as a relief ruck in most games he's played, often recording 10+ hitouts.

He played as the lead ruckman twice in 2017 and recorded impressive stats:
    - 25 hitouts against Port Adelaide (Ryder 31 ho)
    - 43 hitouts, 8 tackes, 6 marks, 2 goals against Geelong (Zac Smith 35 ho).

Cox is a bit ordinary at ground level, but ok tap ruckman and good mark, and quite an accurate kick.

He's worth a punt if he's cheap. He is 30 though,

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    From Bloodspirit post #3097. Here is a helpful list of our players still out of contract: Joel Amartey , Zac Foot, Robbie Fox, Matthew Ling, Hayden McLean, Lewis Melican, Ben Ronke, Jackson Thurlow and Sam Wicks.

Amartey, McLean and Wicks are all rookies so delisting any of those does nothing in reducing our list. That just leaves Foot, Fox, Ling, Melican, Thurlow and Ronke with at least three places needed to be found, maybe more if the AFL reduces list sizes by more than the mooted one. One would think the players who could not make the 22 in the last round would be most at risk of being delisted with the possible save of being offered a rookie spot if they are still there for that draft. Would not want to be in the shoes of Foot or Ling. I don't think Brand actually has a contract either so he would be next in line followed by Ronke (trade him if possible) and Thurlow then Fox and Melican..

The three rookies could fall foul of the rule only allowing one third year rookie on the rookie list as all will be third year. Possibly that rule will be relaxed for 2021 otherwise two of them will also need to go.

It is easy tp see why Ludwig is feeling pain.

ET might yet save one spot depending on how that situation is resolved.
    Similar to the points deficit 'problem', the rookie list situation looks like a problem, but usually gets resolved.

I do think ET will be sacked, but even without that happening, we can solve the rookie list problem.

Ronke should be traded, if possible. He has value, but we don't have a spot for him.

Players that can be 'moved' to the rookie list include: Naismith, Foot, Gray, Clarke and Thurlow. I think that covers it. I'm not clear on the technicalities of the rules, but no one will pick them up if there is agreement that they will be rookie listed. They don't have to go for physicals or interviews with other clubs if they don't want to. Hard to be a fringe player and get picked up under those circumstances.

Wicks can stay a Cat B rookie.

I think it's getting late for the AFL to have forced list reductions this year. If there are reductions, it will have to be flexible and over a period of years. We can push that off to next year.

It would have been better if Campbell and Gulden became draft eligible in 2021 instead of this year. We could use a breather to allow time to develop our recent draft picks. That's part of my ambivalence about taking pick 3 to the draft unless we are guaranteed to get a tall forward. We simply don't have room for any other player position.

Mason Cox only recently got a contract extension for next year, reportedly at 550 k. That salary will be some impediment to getting a trade done. Similar problem to recruiting Peter Wright. It's very hard to know what kind of draft pick will be required to do a deal.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 30th October 2020 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Cox is a bit ordinary at ground level, but ok tap ruckman and good mark, and quite an accurate kick.

He's worth a punt if he's cheap. He is 30 though,
    never thought i would say this - but i agree

Veterans List
    What we do this year won't be done in isolation but with next years super draft in mind as well.

I'm thinking with pick 3 we may be looking at DGB to shore up our long term KPD situation. Has done a great job as an 18yo playing WAFL against men, with McCartin back there as well we could have our two key defensive posts covered for a decade and can then set about other needs.

With Rampe playing again, would free up AA to ruck.

Lots to play out in the next 5-6 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    What we do this year won't be done in isolation but with next years super draft in mind as well.

I'm thinking with pick 3 we may be looking at DGB to shore up our long term KPD situation. Has done a great job as an 18yo playing WAFL against men, with McCartin back there as well we could have our two key defensive posts covered for a decade and can then set about other needs.

With Rampe playing again, would free up AA to ruck.

Lots to play out in the next 5-6 weeks
    Aliir said he doesn't want to play in the ruck (at least not to the extent he has this past season). He wants to be a CHB, which is probably his best position anyway.

What happens to our other tall defenders, Melican, Brand, McCartin, Gould and O'Connor. McCartin can go back to being a forward, but what about the rest? That's a lot of players to find spots for. There's no way we could carry so many tall defenders.

Veterans List
    Aliir said he doesn't want to play in the ruck (at least not to the extent he has this past season). He wants to be a CHB, which is probably his best position anyway.

What happens to our other tall defenders, Melican, Brand, McCartin, Gould and O'Connor. McCartin can go back to being a forward, but what about the rest? That's a lot of players to find spots for. There's no way we could carry so many tall defenders.
    Maybe I didn't think it through enough, was just trying to think who we'd take after two or three (Crouch) players had been taken.

We have too many tall defenders but not enough tall forwards... wonder if any of them could do it?

DGB did play forward recently and went OK. He’s quick too.
    Last edited by Markwebbos; 30th October 2020 at 05:38 PM.

On the veteran's list
    Players that can be 'moved' to the rookie list include: Naismith, Foot, Gray, Clarke and Thurlow.
    Not sure Naismith, Gray or Clarke can be moved to the Rookie list as they have senior contracts. Possibility a couple out of contract boys may end up being offered rookie contracts. Ling And Foot for example. Maybe even Thurlow.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    I tend to agree with you with regards to letting someone go. Not sure who though. For draft points I wouldn't be surprised if we traded our future 2nd rounder for a 2nd rounder this year.
    I believe this is most likely what will happen. Don't be surprised though if we go to the draft without such a trade being made, as we could get the picks we need via live pick trading.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Crows discard Rory Atkins scores them pick 38

Crows have got a truck load of picks
    So far, they have 1, 8, 20, 29, 36, 46, 52, 62, 76 and more may be coming. This is substantially more picks than they have list spots.

I wouldn't be surprised if they traded picks with the Kangaroos at some point. The Roos have a lot of early picks, the Crows have a lot of surplus picks.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final